Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Does COBRA make a slip on muffler for the Savage? (Read 18 times)
rocknrob
Ex Member

Does COBRA make a slip on muffler for the Savage?
08/17/04 at 17:34:03

Okay,
Looking to replacing the original stock muffler here in the near future and reading all of these posts, it seems that the "Jardine and HD Sportsters" are the only two mufflers talked about. A buddy at work who's big into Motocross said to get a Cobra muffler but I'm not finding one for our beloved Savage. Is this true?? I am definatley wanted a more beefier sound. Done the drilled baffle thing and it sounds ok but I want it better.
Help me out Thumpers!!

IP Logged
Jon

Re: Does COBRA make a slip on muffler for the Sava
Reply #1 - 08/17/04 at 18:27:56

Apparently no Cobra, but Dennis Kirk lists two others for the LS650:

http://tinyurl.com/5qlaq

The SuperTrapp sounds good and is adjustable for db's.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 08/18/04 at 02:23:17

There are plenty of slip-ons that will fit, but ones that are specific to the Savage will also mount on the muffler bracket correctly.  None of the Harley slip-ons (obviously) are made for the Savage, but people get them because of the cost.  They take modification to mount on the bike.

There are 3 pipes that I know of for the Savage.  Jardine, SuperTrapp (as Jon said), and the Raask.  We have the last 2 in our house.  The SuperTrapp is the best slip-on in my opinion because I've read of a lot of people bothered with loose baffles in the Jardine.  They sound pretty much the same, but the Trapp is tuneable.  The Raask is a complete pipe (like a Cobra exhaust) but is more expensive.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #3 - 08/18/04 at 05:51:39

Has anybody tried the Miller, looks the biz but might be a bit short to work properly.

Clive W Cheesy

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #4 - 08/18/04 at 06:10:41

On My KLX I have a Baker/Watson black pipe, 38mm at the port tapering to 41.45, works well, no port restiiction.

Clive W Cheesy

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #5 - 08/18/04 at 08:33:23

A quick question on this.  We have an annual inspection in PA.  If I made a change like this would the bike still pass inspection or would I need to put the stock muffler back on for inspection?  I know most of you aren't from PA and can't speak to PA requirements but would be interested in your perspective/experience in other states.  Thanks!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Richard L.Cooper Jr.

Reply #6 - 08/18/04 at 08:48:11

i live in pa as well... i have a jardine on my bike and i have not had a problem with inspection at all

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #7 - 08/18/04 at 10:54:09

Over here (UK) you can have any pipe you like as long as it's quiet enough.

Clive W

IP Logged
jajke
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

2002 Savage

Minnesota, U.S.A.
Reply #8 - 08/27/04 at 11:27:43

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
There are plenty of slip-ons that will fit, but ones that are specific to the Savage will also mount on the muffler bracket correctly.  None of the Harley slip-ons (obviously) are made for the Savage, but people get them because of the cost.  They take modification to mount on the bike.

There are 3 pipes that I know of for the Savage.  Jardine, SuperTrapp (as Jon said), and the Raask.  We have the last 2 in our house.  The SuperTrapp is the best slip-on in my opinion because I've read of a lot of people bothered with loose baffles in the Jardine.  They sound pretty much the same, but the Trapp is tuneable.  The Raask is a complete pipe (like a Cobra exhaust) but is more expensive.

Greg,

Do you recall which model of the SuperTrapp will fit the Savage? Mine is a 2002 but I assume that even a 2001 model should fit.

Thank you!

Jaime

Jaime Ajke
2002 Savage
Minnesota
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #9 - 08/27/04 at 14:10:33

I have one right here Supertrapp 728-50650.
I am patiently waiting for the UPS truck as tracking shows my freshly coated headpipe out for delivery.
I got sniped on a 6-pack of additional diffuser rings today. Then I read this on the Supertrapp website;
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:KtOd0U8vkdAJ:www.supertrapp.com/Pipeline...
So I seached Yahoo, Google & Froogle and only Summit had the  405-30464 competition cap. It ought to sound great, Grin

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 08/28/04 at 05:03:28

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I have one right here Supertrapp 728-50650.
I am patiently waiting for the UPS truck as tracking shows my freshly coated headpipe out for delivery.
I got sniped on a 6-pack of additional diffuser rings today. Then I read this on the Supertrapp website;
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:KtOd0U8vkdAJ:www.supertrapp.com/Pipeline...
So I seached Yahoo, Google & Froogle and only Summit had the  405-30464 competition cap. It ought to sound great,

Does "sniped" mean that you got the extra 6 pack or not?  Not sure that I'm up on that term...old brain  Tongue

Anyway, you can run 14 disks very nicely on the Trapp, but don't forget the jets.  AND, do not spare the use of the copper anti-sieze lube on the stainless steel bolt threads for the disks.  Be generous.  If you don't use the anti-sieze you'll regret it if you ever ever try to remove the bolts.

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/01/04 at 08:51:06

Does anyone know the diameter of the pipe off hand?

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #12 - 09/01/04 at 16:21:12

Munson_kl279 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Does anyone know the diameter of the pipe off hand?

sorry, My dial caliper walked off,but I measured the headpipe to muffler with my tape a couple weeks ago and it's 1.5".

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #13 - 09/01/04 at 16:43:14

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Does "sniped" mean that you got the extra 6 pack or not?  Not sure that I'm up on that term...old brain  Tongue

Anyway, you can run 14 disks very nicely on the Trapp, but don't forget the jets.  AND, do not spare the use of the copper anti-sieze lube on the stainless steel bolt threads for the disks.  Be generous.  If you don't use the anti-sieze you'll regret it if you ever ever try to remove the bolts.

Thanks, I will get some anti-sieze.
Is the copper High heat? "silver" is all I got.
"sniped" is when someone bids within the last seconds of an ebay auction's closing, preventing you from countering before the auction times out.
I can't complain too much. I've done it too.
I plan to use the Supertrapp competion end cap.
It is louder and replaces a bunch of discs according to Supertrapp (forget how many like 9-10) FYI; not the same as taking a 1" hole saw to the std. end cap. Supertrapp says that will screw up the acoustics and make the carb go lean. It looks like a cone shaped cap w/ about a 1 "hole in it to me tho.
I am still waiting for that cap to arrive.
However if the comp cap works, I might take a hole saw to the original just for experimental purposes, then pound it into a similar cone shape to see the difference. Grin

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #14 - 09/07/04 at 18:37:05

My Supertrapp "Open end cap # 405-3046 came today.
FYI;The cone is stamped "FOR CLOSED COURSE COMPETITION USE ONLY", so it's gotta be louder AND faster right?! Grin Grin

This is a poor (indoor) shot of the 'Trapp w/ the used  headpipe I got off ebay & coated. It wasn't just blue it was 'preyple':

I am hoping the supplied 8 disks will be about right for this and I can cork it back up if I need to w/ closed cap.
Still waiting for NOS carb.
FYI;from Supertrapp site, Harley 2:1 tuning:
"We do not suggest removing the muffler packing material to "get more noise". Removing the packing will result in a loss of power due to the sound waves not being absorbed into the material thus causing a restrictive wave in the core. The core was designed to flow with the packing installed,  removing it will also have an effect on the jetting in most cases causing a lean condition.

Removing the closed end disc and running just the polished end cap with or without the discs will also cause the jetting to go lean and lose power. If you must have more noise, we suggest you get the optional 4 inch open end cap (p/n  405-3046) and run 9 discs. This set up has the same flow as the 20 discs and the closed end disc but it will add more noise."

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 00:33:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Does COBRA make a slip on muffler for the Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.