Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Dis-coloring pipes!! (Read 54 times)
Otis

Re: Dis-coloring pipes!!
Reply #30 - 09/08/04 at 14:18:47

> My pipe actually has a gold tinge to it.  

It goes amber before turning blue.  If the fuel mix is rich enough, it won't advance to blue.  The Blue Away type compounds will remove the color, but as mentioned just smear it around on the pipe and let it sit a while.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: is blueing the same as golding?
Reply #31 - 09/09/04 at 04:14:35

russ_g wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
My pipe actually has a gold tinge to it.  Is that the same thing.  Actually looks kind of nice as it fades from a gold to the chrome silver.

I think that the gold tinge happens to every Savage.  Just at the downward curve.  Just the nature of the pipe.  If something else causes the engine to run hot or lean, then it will change to blue.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #32 - 09/11/04 at 17:35:18

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
The carb code is a number that is etched on the left side of the carb near the top.  It will indicate the year and maybe the country that the carb was built for.  The one on my 2000 is "24C4".  That will identify the internal jetting too.

Ok Greg,
My new carb arrived, I popped the float bowl and hoped to see “155" on the main jet, but the jet is like in Japanese.
The main jet is barely stamped, could say 130 or 180, either of which would be wrong.
I pulled the main jet out and held it and my 150 side-by-side, up to a light. They look the same, but I doubt I could tell any difference between a 150 and a 155 main
There are two numbers on the upper left side of the diaphragm housing:

24B40
E531

Please, how do you decode this? Undecided

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Re: is blueing the same as golding?
Reply #33 - 09/11/04 at 18:10:50

russ_g wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
My pipe actually has a gold tinge to it.  Is that the same thing.  Actually looks kind of nice as it fades from a gold to the chrome silver.

The color is temperature dependent. As you heat the steel up it will go from straw to dark straw to blue.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #34 - 09/12/04 at 04:15:23

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Ok Greg,
My new carb arrived, I popped the float bowl and hoped to see “155" on the main jet, but the jet is like in Japanese.
The main jet is barely stamped, could say 130 or 180, either of which would be wrong.
I pulled the main jet out and held it and my 150 side-by-side, up to a light. They look the same, but I doubt I could tell any difference between a 150 and a 155 main
There are two numbers on the upper left side of the diaphragm housing:

24B40
E531

Please, how do you decode this? Undecided

I'll tell you what, if you can't read the number (I usually use a magnifier with my old eyes), do you know someone with set of pin gages you can check the jet size size?...or if you have a complete set of Numbered drill bits you can check it (ball park) with the different shanks.  Maybe it is a Japanese carb, too.  Where did it come from?

Now the code is really putting my manual (which stays at my desk since I joined this forum) to the test.  Here is what I find....bear in mind that there are multiple un-named listings for different countries in here too after 1996.

For US carbs the ID number was 24B00 and 24B20 (CA) from 1986 until the bike was reintroduced in 1995.  At which time the ID number changed to 24C4 and 24C5 (CA).  The carbs in the 24B** series had a #155 main jet.  The 24C** series went to a #145.  So your carb appears to be Pre-1996.

Now the other confusing part is the "E531".  That is an item number and this number doesn't appear in the charts until 1996, and here it gets good.  There is only a listing for E53, not E531.  And the really interesting part is that carbs in this series had a #125 or #130 main jet.

The E53* series carbs are also listed for 1999 and later, but I believe that Mr. Kropachek can help here...cause it almost sounds like a European carb.  

Can you read the number on the Throttle plate?  Mine says #120.  Is yours a #125?  

Does yours have a jet needle with a clip on it rather than a spacer?

Can you read the number on the "needle jet" (remove the slide)?

We're becoming carb detectives here for sure.  Mr. Watson, where did it come from? ???

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #35 - 09/12/04 at 04:32:54

I got an idea (thanks to Mr. Kropachek), and here is more information from Ron Ayers...

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0271/carburetor/carburetor.cfm

This is for a 1996 carb, and I think it gives us a clue.  It appears that 24B** designates the top diaphram part of the carb and the E53* numbers are for the bottom fuel end.

It appears that your carb "ain't from around here".  

Interesting!

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #36 - 09/12/04 at 04:48:48

I'd like to be able to help but don't know about LS650 carbs, I just fitted a dynojet kit to My CV carb. Do dynojet do a kit for LS's.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #37 - 09/12/04 at 05:51:03

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I'd like to be able to help but don't know about LS650 carbs, I just fitted a dynojet kit to My CV carb. Do dynojet do a kit for LS's.

Clive W  Cheesy

Yes, they do.  I think that Jendesigner or Nancy P got one.  Can't remember who.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #38 - 09/12/04 at 10:25:58

I'll tell you what, if you can't read the number (I usually use a magnifier with my old eyes), do you know someone with set of pin gages you can check the jet size size?...or if you have a complete set of Numbered drill bits you can check it (ball park) with the different shanks.  Maybe it is a Japanese carb, too.  Where did it come from?

Now the code is really putting my manual (which stays at my desk since I joined this forum) to the test.  Here is what I find....bear in mind that there are multiple un-named listings for different countries in here too after 1996.

For US carbs the ID number was 24B00 and 24B20 (CA) from 1986 until the bike was reintroduced in 1995.  At which time the ID number changed to 24C4 and 24C5 (CA).  The carbs in the 24B** series had a #155 main jet.  The 24C** series went to a #145.  So your carb appears to be Pre-1996.

Now the other confusing part is the "E531".  That is an item number and this number doesn't appear in the charts until 1996, and here it gets good.  There is only a listing for E53, not E531.  And the really interesting part is that carbs in this series had a #125 or #130 main jet.

The E53* series carbs are also listed for 1999 and later, but I believe that Mr. Kropachek can help here...cause it almost sounds like a European carb.  

Can you read the number on the Throttle plate?  Mine says #120.  Is yours a #125?  

Does yours have a jet needle with a clip on it rather than a spacer?

Can you read the number on the "needle jet" (remove the slide)?

We're becoming carb detectives here for sure.  Mr. Watson, where did it come from? ???

Man! Thanks for the info! Like it says Yabb god.
I was gonna slam the K &N, the new Supertrapp exhaust system and this carb all on at once,can you imagine how it would run on a 130 jet!? Sad

This thing turned up w/ my ebay filter from this place:
www.AndersonVintageParts.com
It was listed as NOS andit looks brand new inside and out.

I put on my low power readers over my high power readers and I an afraid this thing has a 130 jet, like you said. Kalifornia carb?  ???
Above the screw driver slot, this main jet has an "R" followed by a "square" within a square in the lower left corner.

Below the slot is stamped "130". Embarrassed

Likewise the throttle plate has the same "square within a square"symbol followed by "125".
Is this the larger or smaller plate?

I wonder if it is for the 400 Savage -Japanese version?  ???

I gotta go to the shop (18 miles) to get the top off. The diaphagm cover screws are real tight, and don't wanna strip 'em. I will report back w/ needle info.
If this thing has the larger throttle, perhaps we can build it up, but i expect we will need to swap stuff as far a jet, needle and bleed. (This ain't like my old Kawy.
it didn't have the diaphragm, the throttle operated the slide.)

I was hoping for a carb that was set up more like yours.

I bought it thinking the larger throttle plate would run better w/ the K&N and open end Supertrapp, remove the white spacer if present,
starting w/ the 155 main it was supposed to have, and try the 157 too.
*If* this one has the larger throttle, perhaps we can build it.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #39 - 09/13/04 at 03:06:22

Cool.  You do have a larger throttle plate.  To me it sounds more like a UK version carb because their emissions restrictions are a little tougher than ours (I think).

Actually I think that you have the makings of an '86 carb and all that you need to do is some jet swapping.  The '86s had that size throttle plate.  If you can find that chart in the topic  about changes to the Savages, I think you'll see which jets to find.

Be interesting to see what's under the diaphram now.  Smiley

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #40 - 09/13/04 at 10:56:03

I found the 1st number under 1987 carbs:
( 2-2 )   13500-24B40
 DIAPHRAGM ASSY  

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0039/carburetor/carburetor.cfm

P.S I forgot your  post of carb changes  Roll Eyesin 'changes' catagory, perfect info!
Muchas gracias Greg.

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #41 - 09/13/04 at 13:30:17

Greg, there's the other oddball stuff:

5C16-jet needle

"534 (square icon) X-7" needle jet

70 - pilot jet (screws in under the diaphragm) ???

P.S Who carries assortment of BS40 parts?
Where can I find a chart to show the differences in '87- 90's BS40 needles, needle jets, and pilot jets.
Like what's the diff. between the x-6 and x-7 needle jet? (besides"one", Suzuki numbers?)
They vary widely over the life of this model.

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #42 - 09/15/04 at 02:47:28

All this is pretty interesting, isn't it.  It points to the fact that OEM companies make losts of little subtle changes that are hardly noticable.  When looked at more closely, it is almost baffling.

I bet the X-6 and X-7 for the jet needles is some kind of designation that relates to the taper of the needle.  Maybe the number means a 6% or 7% taper to the needle (like on the signs for a downhill grade).  The taper changes the ratio of the fuel mix relative to the throttle opening.  And I guess that a larger taper would mean the fuel mix from the needle jet advances more rapidly with the throttle position.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #43 - 09/15/04 at 05:56:11

Sounds good to Me Greg.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #44 - 09/15/04 at 12:22:52

All this is pretty interesting, isn't it.  It points to the fact that OEM companies make losts of little subtle changes that are hardly noticable.  When looked at more closely, it is almost baffling.

I bet the X-6 and X-7 for the jet needles is some kind of designation that relates to the taper of the needle.  Maybe the number means a 6% or 7% taper to the needle (like on the signs for a downhill grade).  The taper changes the ratio of the fuel mix relative to the throttle opening.  And I guess that a larger taper would mean the fuel mix from the needle jet advances more rapidly with the throttle position.

I hope to have them both.
My 'stealer' (good guys actually) finally got in a batch of jets, so I have all the main jets in the 150's now.
He said he could get the X-6 & 5C17, so I ordered them yesterday. I plan to install the '86 parts w/ the 155 or 157.5 main and tune from there. I would seriously consider something else based on your experience. I get no joy swapping the tank on & off. I hope I get close w/ that set-up.
Last night  local track said I needed a dead man switch to run my stock 650 for test & tune night (not even a race), so no trap speed to do carb comparos. The only time I topped it, the LS ran indicated 89 mph on level road.

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 13:02:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dis-coloring pipes!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.