Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Dis-coloring pipes!! (Read 54 times)
rocknrob
Ex Member

Dis-coloring pipes!!
09/01/04 at 14:17:45

Okay, I have a typical problem that alot of people have. My pipe is "Blue-ing" or discoloring right out of the manifold.  First, how do I get that off and make it look pretty again and I'm guessing that adjusting and/or re-jetting my carb should be done to prevent it from happening again. The fuel/air mixture is what causes this or is it something else???   Help please

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Dis-coloring pipes!!
Reply #1 - 09/01/04 at 14:46:47

People just don't like to believe that all conversation about the jetting stuff is important, do they?  Roll Eyes

First off...WHY is it discoloring?  Have you changed anything?  Do you live in a really hot area and ride in a lot of really slow traffic?

Second, you can clean it up pretty good, but it will never be as good as new.  Sorry.  You may want to start cruising through some of the other topics on this subject.

IP Logged
Jon
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/01/04 at 15:24:06

With the plastic needle shim removed I never had blueing on my otherwise stock '88 or '96, even on 90 degree days.  No sign of color on the S40, either.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 09/01/04 at 15:39:21

Jon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
With the plastic needle shim removed I never had blueing on my otherwise stock '88 or '96, even on 90 degree days.  No sign of color on the S40, either.

Exactly....

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #4 - 09/01/04 at 16:05:04

rocknrob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Okay, I have a typical problem that alot of people have. My pipe is "Blue-ing" or discoloring right out of the manifold.  First, how do I get that off and make it look pretty again and I'm guessing that adjusting and/or re-jetting my carb should be done to prevent it from happening again. The fuel/air mixture is what causes this or is it something else???   Help please

Well, you can learn to like the psychedelic colors.
Or,re-jet and hope it does not get worse.
Alternatively, you can have it coated, w/ a metalic ceramic finish.
Coating is not the same as chrome but if your pipe is badly oxidized, then you can't do much.
W/ Blue Away and others original finish won't return, just clean it up. Coating is not a shiney as chrome but it will end the oxidation and give a reasonable facsimile.
Jet-Hot, Airborn and several others can do it.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 09/02/04 at 02:48:14

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Well, you can learn to like the psychedelic colors.
Or,re-jet and hope it does not get worse.
Alternatively, you can have it coated, w/ a metalic ceramic finish.
Coating is not the same as chrome but if your pipe is badly oxidized, then you can't do much.
W/ Blue Away and others original finish won't return, just clean it up. Coating is not a shiney as chrome but it will end the oxidation and give a reasonable facsimile.
Jet-Hot, Airborn and several others can do it.

How much does a ceramic coating cost?  Any ideas?  I had ceramic black pipes on my XS850, but I bought them that way.  Do you have to rough up the chrome finish first?

That is what I said about removing the blue....never be good as new.  The products to remove the blue have to remove some of the surface metal to do that.  My spouse removed the blue on her SuperTrapp with "The Bom" which is a really fine abrasive polish.  She put lots of elbow grease into it too.  Looks good from a distance but up close, the finish is duller than the original.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #6 - 09/02/04 at 04:03:12

The first 8" of My pipe has burned the black finish off, probably from when it was lean.If it had been chrome this would be blue. Plus it's only "single wall".I used zebrite black grate polish which makes it as good as new but wares off.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/02/04 at 05:17:31

I used Blue-Away on mine and it actually made the pipe look great even close up...Atleast the parts that I could get to.

If you buy the kit it comes with a semi-abrasive "sponge" that you put in a drill.  I found that if you take the pipe off completely it makes it alot easier and less clean up.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 09/02/04 at 15:12:18

Call me a Skeptic (only, please)  

I still don't believe that you can manually polish chrome to the same shine and smoothness that the electo-plating process creates in the first place.  That is done on molecular level.  A "semi-abrasive" of any kind is exactly that...something that scrapes away material in small chunks.

I am not a really patient person when it comes to stuff like that.  Maybe that's my problem, but I watched my spouse put hours into her "blue away" process.  She has a softer "touch" with that kind of thing too.  When she was done, the blue was gone, but the chrome was dull.  Looks fine from a few feet away.

I could be wrong, but I'd like to see proof of "like new", just once.

PS - the blue also stayed away because I rejetted her carb  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #9 - 09/02/04 at 20:47:16

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
How much does a ceramic coating cost?  Any ideas?  I had ceramic black pipes on my XS850, but I bought them that way.  Do you have to rough up the chrome finish first?

Well Jet-Hot was like the 1st coater, then Airborn was a spinoff. They do lots of stuff for folks like in NASCAR and stuff, About twice as high too.
I don't think they will do anything better than Firecote.
We have used Firecote w/ good results on a set of zoomies for a nostalgia dragster and the price was better than Jet-Hot or Airborn. Ihad planned to use them again, but Firecote's website was down the week I wanted my headpipe done, so I asked around, did a search and found M&R in Kodak TN, They turned my badly blued pipe around in about 10 days.$36 bucks for the full boat, inside & outside job.
I have a good plater here but don't think he would replate my pipe for that.

While I am tuning my 650, I plan to do a report w/ photos of my tests w/ the Supertrapp, the NOS 1st generation Savage Mikuni vs. the stock 2001 carb for you guys. Unless I find a bike dyno in my area, I just plan to  jet it and test @the drag strip (it's more fun too).
I will post a photo of my coated headpipe for your inspection when I get home. My friend took my camera to the big F.A.S.T. (Factory Appearing Stock Tire) race in St.Louis so when I get it back and I come back from Indy maybe next week I can post something.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 09/03/04 at 02:34:43

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Well Jet-Hot was like the 1st coater, then Airborn was a spinoff. They do lots of stuff for folks like in NASCAR and stuff, About twice as high too.
I don't think they will do anything better than Firecote.
We have used Firecote w/ good results on a set of zoomies for a nostalgia dragster and the price was better than Jet-Hot or Airborn. Ihad planned to use them again, but Firecote's website was down the week I wanted my headpipe done, so I asked around, did a search and found M&R in Kodak TN, They turned my badly blued pipe around in about 10 days.$36 bucks for the full boat, inside & outside job.
I have a good plater here but don't think he would replate my pipe for that.

While I am tuning my 650, I plan to do a report w/ photos of my tests w/ the Supertrapp, the NOS 1st generation Savage Mikuni vs. the stock 2001 carb for you guys. Unless I find a bike dyno in my area, I just plan to  jet it and test @the drag strip (it's more fun too).
I will post a photo of my coated headpipe for your inspection when I get home. My friend took my camera to the big F.A.S.T. (Factory Appearing Stock Tire) race in St.Louis so when I get it back and I come back from Indy maybe next week I can post something.

Be interesting to see how the NOS Mikuni works compared to the 2001.  If you can find it, let us know the 4 digit code on the left side of the carb.  That will give us the jet sizes.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
tRe: Dis-coloring pipes!!
Reply #11 - 09/03/04 at 20:49:38

That will give us the jet sizes.

Quote:
The 1986 Savages had a 155 main with a very similar exhaust (maybe less restrictive), so using similar logic I figure that a #155 may also work on a stock Savage....and yes, I do understand that other parts on the inside of the carbs have changed in 18 years.  Do you realize that the '86 Savage had a larger throttle plate in what looks like the same carb?

Cool,
It's not here yet but it ought to have the 155 main and a bigger throttle plate right?
What are the jet codes?

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 09/04/04 at 02:27:17

The carb code is a number that is etched on the left side of the carb near the top.  It will indicate the year and maybe the country that the carb was built for.  The one on my 2000 is "24C4".  That will identify the internal jetting too.

IP Logged
rocknrob
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 09/04/04 at 17:13:51

Jon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:

Okay, I am a new Savage owner, what is this plastic needle??????

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #14 - 09/05/04 at 01:41:53

The carb code is a number that is etched on the left side of the carb near the top.  It will indicate the year and maybe the country that the carb was built for.  The one on my 2000 is "24C4".  That will identify the internal jetting too.

Ok,spill the beans.

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 10:54:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dis-coloring pipes!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.