Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Footpeg Options
08/26/04 at 08:56:36

As discussed in another topic (Vibration on the Right) I am interested in replacing my stock footpegs with some heavier ones.  I've heard from several people that Highway Hawk pegs are great.  Has anyone fitted any other footpegs such as the Kuryakyn pegs on the Savage?  If so, how do you like them and were they easy to install?

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
jajke
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

2002 Savage

Minnesota, U.S.A.
Re: Footpeg Options
Reply #1 - 08/27/04 at 11:15:23

Susan,

I've just called Kuryakyn and they told me they do NOT have anything specific for the Savage, only way is to know the OEM part number from Suzuki for a bike that Kuryakyn has parts for, then comparing that OEM number with the OEM number for the Savage and see if they are the same - too complicated if you ask me  Sad

None the less, I am still interested to hear what other people have to say as I want to replace the pegs in my bike as well.

Jaime

Jaime Ajke
2002 Savage
Minnesota
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #2 - 08/27/04 at 11:21:30

Funny thing is I called Kuryakyn as well and got the same answer.  There are lots of people who modify parts for this bike, though, which is why I asked the question in the forum anyway.

It is also true that sometimes a part may fit even if the manufacturer doesn't know it.  Since the Savage is a smaller/lower volume bike, parts suppliers have not been as ready to do their homework on it as some of the other bikes.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/27/04 at 11:54:00

I've been studying the setup on my bike to try and figure out a way to modify a set of pegs....

What I'm not sure about getting into is the setup for the shifter.  If you look closely at it the shifter is attached to the same mounting bolt at the peg. Undecided

My thought has been to add highway bars and eliminate the OEM pegs completely.  Any bike I've ever riden I usually use the highway pegs most of the time.

This is possible b/c you can shift with your heel.

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 08/27/04 at 12:46:31

I have these pegs on my Savage. You must use the round ones. The wide ones would be on edge.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/storeId-10101/p-373...

Not every one may like the o-ring pegs. I use them not for comfort but for looks. I am chopping my Savage.  I did have to use a couple of washers as spacers because the male mount is thinner than the space for the stock peg. These are male mount harley pegs. It is possible that different style male mount harley pegs would work also.

IP Logged
Munson_kl279
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/27/04 at 13:22:42

These are the one's I'm trying to modify to work....

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-2893/c-10111

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 08/28/04 at 05:35:04

Gargoyle wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I have these pegs on my Savage. You must use the round ones. The wide ones would be on edge.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/storeId-10101/p-373...

Not every one may like the o-ring pegs.

I like the o-ring pegs.  They seem to keep your feet from slipping off the pegs like the rubber pegs (when wet).  My Highway Hawk versions are a little bit longer than stock too.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 08/28/04 at 05:48:30

Munson_kl279 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I've been studying the setup on my bike to try and figure out a way to modify a set of pegs....

What I'm not sure about getting into is the setup for the shifter.  If you look closely at it the shifter is attached to the same mounting bolt at the peg. Undecided

My thought has been to add highway bars and eliminate the OEM pegs completely.  Any bike I've ever riden I usually use the highway pegs most of the time.

This is possible b/c you can shift with your heel.

2 issues actually...yep the shifter mounts to the same bolt as the peg mount, but removing just the peg doesn't affect the shifter.  Removing the whole assembly does affect the shifter, but that also removes the side stand.

Sounds like you just need Jendesigner's forward controls.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 08/28/04 at 05:52:10

Funny.  After you said that, I went back and looked at the picture again.  There must be something "generically" wrong with that photo.  Who would want wide tapered pegs that mounted vertically (on edge).  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 08/28/04 at 07:20:06

The reason the tapered pegs would be on edge is because the front peg mounting place is at an angle. Therefore the peg is at an angle. This doesn't matter on the round pegs. It does matter on non round pegs. On harleys the peg mounting position is straight up and down not at an angle like the Savage.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 08/28/04 at 07:30:17

The reason the tapered pegs would be on edge is because the front peg mounting place is at an angle. Therefore the peg is at an angle. This doesn't matter on the round pegs. It does matter on non round pegs. On harleys the peg mounting position is straight up and down not at an angle like the Savage.

And that would put the edge on an angle.  So why would someone want a tapered wide peg that contacts your foot on the edge when the flat tapered part should be flat under your foot, no matter what the angle?

The "top" of my round pegs are under my feet even on an angle.  It isn't like my foor is on the side of the peg.

Isn't that just a case of a generic photo for the peg?  I think so.

IP Logged
Gargoyle
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/28/04 at 08:40:51

Male mount foot pegs for Harleys such as the wide one we are discussing will be flat under your foot if mounted on a Harley. That is one of many problems when trying to use accessories intended for  Harley Davidsons. The wide foot peg on a Harley is straight up and down. Works well but not on a Savage because of the mounting point is angled. It may be possible to use adjustable male mount Harley intended pegs on a Savage. Then the angle doesn't matter because the peg once mounted can be rotated.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #12 - 08/31/04 at 08:25:07

Just installed the Highway Hawk comfort footpegs.  I like the way they look but I don't know how they ride yet (its been raining for 2 days  Angry).

jajke asked me to post details once I got them so:
  • This is what I bought:
    http://ssl.webhouse.es/WebCommerce/Sistema/100000/infoproducto.asp?MiTienda=1...
  • Bought them from bikercom.com in Spain.  I ordered them Thursday night and had them Monday morning!!
  • They were super easy to install (10 minutes tops) -- pop off a screw cover, unscrew and remove old ones; screw in new ones; put screw cover back on
  • IMPORTANT STEP: twist footpeg to the angle you want, then tighten the bolt at the end of the footpeg
  • They look great and are much heavier than the old ones
  • Will let you know whether they help the rightside vibration after a ride (hopefully it will dry up tonight or tomorrow)

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #13 - 08/31/04 at 15:57:49

Went for a ride tonight.  Heavier footpegs are much better and help with the right side vibration.  I can still feel it but it is definitely dampened.  Took a couple of tries to get the position adjusted (see IMPORTANT STEP above).  The position mattered for both comfort and dampening vibration.  Was able to ride, pull into a parking lot and adjust it with an allen wrench, and then ride some more.

The Highway Hawks were a good choice.  Thanks for the recommendation Greg!

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Reply #14 - 08/31/04 at 18:08:41

Hi,

Well Susan, I've been lurking the foot peg messages as I'd like to replace mine too.  Not that I find the stock ones that uncomfortable.  Infact I think they are alright.  What I REALLY want is either floorboards or a heel rest.  But I'm not sure if there's anything like that in existance for LS650s.   Roll Eyes

I was on Bikebandit and looked over their part blow ups and compared that to what I observed on the bike and that slanted peg mount is definitly a problem getting floor boards or anything else that isn't completely round.   Undecided

Interestingly I compared it with the three other models that are "above" the LS650 in the Suzuki line-up with hopes that the mounts would be the same.. They aren't.   (Vain hope that Suzuki would save money by using some universal parts...)

Anyone find either heel/foot pegs or floorboards?  

- Roadie

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:59:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Footpeg Options

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.