Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rejetting and Emissions Checks (Read 11 times)
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Re: Rejetting and Emissions Checks
Reply #30 - 08/28/04 at 17:39:11

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:

Thanks and thanks for your patience!  I understand better now.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #31 - 08/29/04 at 04:28:12

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Wow.  Boy I am now in way over my head.   ???  Is the idea behind the "dial-a-jet" that it gives you many different jetting options in one?  That's what it sounds like to me as a novice but I really have no idea.

The DAJ is adjusted with a screw driver.  You have these options...rich, richer, richest.  Essentially you adjust, ride, adjust, and ride until it runs good.  That is what I've seen another Savage owner do.  

I suppose that you can go through the trouble of a dyno setup, but if you do that, then why not just have the carb rejetted normally and save the expense of the DAJ?

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #32 - 08/29/04 at 07:39:48

According to the website you can make adjustments w/ change in altitude w/o roadside carb disassembly, Nifty.
Dean (Denco) invented it to adjust for corrected altitude on his old drag bikes, so you have to jet the main down  two, then the DAJ picks up the slack. So basically you can go up or down one jet. I would like to try one sometime. I will just swap jets for now. If response is flaky I would like to try it. Thunder claims increased mileage, but seems like you would need a too-lean setup to start w/.  I would be tempted to lean it out on the highway.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #33 - 08/30/04 at 02:39:39

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
We need this double barrel deal if I am reading this correctly;
[url] http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet_dually.htm[

P.S. If Denco invented it & Vance & Hines sell them it, must do something. I went back and read the info from their site and I would guess the single DaJ might work good on a stock late model LS650 carb. TP says the main needs to be about two jets small. This is about where I should be now, so would be an easy test to just stick one on when i install the new pipe. It didn't say where is the best location to install the jet? Injectors seem to be moving "up the stack" .Toward the air filter on the LS650.(?) The website shows the carb drilled and the new jet extending toward the center of the airway of the carb throat.  Tongue

The newer Savages are 4 main sizes down from the original ones, but of course, the other jets are changed too.

What about the need to have the main 2 sizes smaller? Relative to what?  And if you need to change the main jet to use the DAJ, then why bother?

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #34 - 08/31/04 at 09:37:18

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
What about the need to have the main 2 sizes smaller? Relative to what?  And if you need to change the main jet to use the DAJ, then why bother?

Relative to the optimum jet for your bike.
This thing only fattens the mixture so you go down 2 jets and it can bring you back to where you were or more w/ a little screwdriver. Sounds good for roadside mixture change in the Rockys. says it can correct for up to 12k ft. Check it out on the Thunder Products page.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
vintage rider

Reply #35 - 08/31/04 at 09:44:03

> Sounds good for roadside mixture change inthe Rockys.

Don't know about you, but when I ride the mountains the last thing on my mind is stopping to mess with the carb so that I can change it again at lower altitudes.  The whole dial-a-jet thing is anal-retentive nonsense.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 09/01/04 at 02:48:57

Grin

I still don't know why you want to change the main jet to a smaller size just to add some expensive clutter to the exterior of the carb.  I thought that "uncluttered" and "simple' were parts of the attraction for a Savage.

I've only ridden my bike to an altitude of 6K, but still there were no problems.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #37 - 09/01/04 at 07:24:44

I'm at an altitude of about 500ft.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
SweetSavage

Reply #38 - 09/19/04 at 21:55:32

I go from about 300 ft elevation to 7,000 and up quite often with no problems whatsoever.  Dial-a-Jet is a waste of money on the Savage.      Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 02:01:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rejetting and Emissions Checks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.