Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rejetting and Emissions Checks (Read 11 times)
wrench

Re: Rejetting and Emissions Checks
Reply #15 - 08/26/04 at 13:29:13

> It seems to me that the bike is very lean when stock.

In order to meet EPA tailpipe emissions, carburetors have 1) a lean airscrew setting, 2) a fat neck on the slide needle.

Both of these restrict fuel flow from idle to about 2500 rpm.

The low rpm sag can be eliminated by 1) uncapping the airscrew and backing it out about 1/2 turn, and/or 2) removing the plastic needle spacer.

The quickest and easiest fix is the spacer job, it can be done without pulling the carb.  Doing this will override the lean airscrew enough so that the bike will accelerate seamlessly.

Changing the main jet will just richen the mix from mid-range rpm to WO.  Changing the pilot jet will help off-idle sag, but is a more difficult job than necessary.

If you dink with the air filter, leanness will be increased.  The engine aspirates just fine with the stock filter and you will not notice much of a power increase doing this unless you also fit a less restrictive pipe.  If you go with a new pipe and filter you will enter into tuning hell to get the engine dialed in.  If you like to tinker 'a lot', go for it.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 08/26/04 at 14:10:01

wrench wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
> It seems to me that the bike is very lean when stock.

In order to meet EPA tailpipe emissions, carburetors have 1) a lean airscrew setting, 2) a fat neck on the slide needle.

Both of these restrict fuel flow from idle to about 2500 rpm.

The low rpm sag can be eliminated by 1) uncapping the airscrew and backing it out about 1/2 turn, and/or 2) removing the plastic needle spacer.

The quickest and easiest fix is the spacer job, it can be done without pulling the carb.  Doing this will override the lean airscrew enough so that the bike will accelerate seamlessly.

Changing the main jet will just richen the mix from mid-range rpm to WO.  Changing the pilot jet will help off-idle sag, but is a more difficult job than necessary.

If you dink with the air filter, leanness will be increased.  The engine aspirates just fine with the stock filter and you will not notice much of a power increase doing this unless you also fit a less restrictive pipe.  If you go with a new pipe and filter you will enter into tuning hell to get the engine dialed in.  If you like to tinker 'a lot', go for it.

Yes and no.  

Everything that you say is correct concerning the particular carb functions and the effects of pipes and filters.  What I disagree with is the "tuning hell" part.  It isn't that difficult if you follow simple little steps to do it....and of course you do have to be of a mind to tinker and have a few tools anyway.

There's no hell in this little part of NC  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #17 - 08/26/04 at 14:28:35

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Yeah a $200 supertrapp will be $500.  Angry
I'm not too current, last I heard was current bikes will still be held to the same stds they have since '82 when they were all carbed.   the 2006 bikes will be the snag.
I doublt what kind of pipe you have will make any diff. on pre '06 bikes. Better get a new one now if you are wanting a new bike though. The current spec is not hard for most current bikes to meet. Unless you got a smokin hi-mile V-max. It's a one size fits all spec. unless they have changed it. I have no idea where this is in Congress. I imagine few in Congress know.
I guess the questions to ask the doorknobs before all this is implemented ;
How much will it increase the cost of a bike.
How much will it decrease smog.
Will it be measureable, if not why are you impossing this crap!
Perhaps if it can't be measured then 'sunset" this joke.

You are right concerning mixtures etc.  A lean bike getting leaner with a pipe change and then getting back to original mixture with a jet change makes sense.  It would be the same.  They do that with fuel injected engines and their controls now, when someone buys a new pipe.

Secondly it won't have any retro effects, with the exception that all this will probably bring about emmission testing in bikes and anyone with an out of tune bike may have to fix that.

What this really concerns is new motorcycles.  Just consider that ALL Savages or S40s will be configured the same as the CA models are now, in 2006.  The extra plumbing etc....that is about it.

And finally, THIS IS A DONE DEAL.  No need to write to your congressmen or the other doorknobs.  This has been in the works for over 2 years, and I for one have written to my NC congresspeople about this.  Of course, I never got any kinds of answer back

The original EPA Guidelines, as they were called, were more more restrictive than the final version recently passed.  The AMA and the MRF were very involved in the process with a lot of lobbying.  Now, it is done.  Bikes are mandated to be as clean burning as cars by the year 2010, whether we like it or not....and the reason that I bring it up?  Because I think that will make a bikes subject to emissions testing with an inspection in areas like mine where it isn't done now.

IP Logged
Ace

Reply #18 - 08/26/04 at 15:07:31

> And finally, THIS IS A DONE DEAL.  

It's unfortunate that the Republicans picked such a d-i-c-k-h-e-a-d for Emperor, because if they remained in office the EPA might get slapped around and their power decreased.  Emissions from motorcycles are such a non-issue compared to 4-wheelers.  Logic never has been a virtue of government.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 08/27/04 at 03:03:04

ace wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
> And finally, THIS IS A DONE DEAL.  

It's unfortunate that the Republicans picked such a d-i-c-k-h-e-a-d for Emperor, because if they remained in office the EPA might get slapped around and their power decreased.  Emissions from motorcycles are such a non-issue compared to 4-wheelers.  Logic never has been a virtue of government.

This is hardly a name calling political issue.  WE elected these people.  The EPA has been making these guidelines through several administrations, and it will effect all of us the same as it has for years and years in California.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #20 - 08/27/04 at 07:21:46

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
This is hardly a name calling political issue.  WE elected these people.  The EPA has been making these guidelines through several administrations, and it will effect all of us the same as it has for years and years in California.

Agreed.  One of the things that is great about this forum is that we try to stay focused on the things we CAN do for our bikes.  If we can avoid spiraling into a political discussion, I suggest we do so.

With that in mind, in reference to the tuning question.  What is difficult to tune -- is it the jets?  If so, is this why people get the "dial-a-jet"?  What is a "dial-a-jet"?  Is is a good thing or a bad thing?

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #21 - 08/27/04 at 09:49:45

Quote:
is this why people get the "dial-a-jet"?  What is a "dial-a-jet"?  Is is a good thing or a bad thing?

I never saw one on a bike carb. I know Spint cars used to run them on mechanical fuel injected engines.
Those systems work off a crank-driven pump and the jet(s) and barrel valve controls fuel delivery to the motor, completely different from a carb. ???
I would be curious  how/IF something like that would work, where it hooks up,& so forth.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
wrench

Reply #22 - 08/27/04 at 11:55:40

> What is difficult to tune -- is it the jets?

Yes, it's difficult to tune jetting.  It requires a lot of trial and error.  You'll have the float bowl off a lot.  The Dial-a-Jet can make it easier, but not simple.  The factory does a lot of testing with exhaust analyzers to get the fuel mix as close to ideal as possible throughout the rev range.  Sure, the engine will run with any number of jet sizes close enough to create combustion, but it won't be ideal.  And, tuning with plug readings won't be accurate.

Altering factory carburetion changes the power curve.  Larger jetting with an open pipe and less restrictive air filter will make more power at higher revs, but the dyno then shows power loss at lower rpm.  If you don't race, what's the point in losing low rev energy?  On the streets that is what you use most.

I'm not against tinkering, just don't expect the same ride when you're through.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 08/28/04 at 04:39:36

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
I never saw one on a bike carb. I know Spint cars used to run them on mechanical fuel injected engines.
Those systems work off a crank-driven pump and the jet(s) and barrel valve controls fuel delivery to the motor, completely different from a carb. ???
I would be curious  how/IF something like that would work, where it hooks up,& so forth.

The "Dial a Jet" is nothing more than an adjustable venturi tube that is inserted into the intake ahead of the carb...usually by inserting it through the rubber boot.  (It works the same as say the main jet in the carb)

The fuel for the venturi (DAJ) is provided by a tube connected to the float bowl drain, and as air passes the venturi in the intake, fuel is "sucked" from the bowl and into the intake.  The amount of fuel is adjustable.

This richens the entire throttle range.  It is about $60.  Some like it.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #24 - 08/28/04 at 04:44:44

If you want richer higher up and leaner low down use a smaller main air jet.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #25 - 08/28/04 at 04:51:06

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
If you want richer higher up and leaner low down use a smaller main air jet.

Clive W  Cheesy

I'm like you, I prefer experimenting with individual jets  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #26 - 08/28/04 at 05:03:34

I've never had a bike' that I didn't changh the jetting on I lasted about two weeks on my first bike' I had a lathe so used to make my own main airs, could get mains from the dealer.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #27 - 08/28/04 at 08:04:44

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
The "Dial a Jet" is nothing more than an adjustable venturi tube that is inserted into the intake ahead of the carb...usually by inserting it through the rubber boot.  (It works the same as say the main jet in the carb)

The fuel for the venturi (DAJ) is provided by a tube connected to the float bowl drain, and as air passes the venturi in the intake, fuel is "sucked" from the bowl and into the intake.  The amount of fuel is adjustable.

This richens the entire throttle range.  It is about $60.  Some like it.

Wow.  Boy I am now in way over my head.   ???  Is the idea behind the "dial-a-jet" that it gives you many different jetting options in one?  That's what it sounds like to me as a novice but I really have no idea.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #28 - 08/28/04 at 10:31:56

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #29 - 08/28/04 at 12:30:14

We need this double barrel deal if I am reading this correctly;
http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet_dually.htm
Interesting, I might try one. It looks like it is used mostly by smaller engine aplications. I would like to see some dyno numbers to back it up. All the plastic doesn't inspire confidence, but i like the idea. Undecided  I got my headpipe back so I am ready to go set up my carb & exhaust. I will be @ 50th  U.S. Nats all next week, but plan to set-up the carb for the new pipe when I get back in town. I would like another carb to torture test this gizzy with and save my stocker  nd report back.

P.S. If Denco invented it & Vance & Hines sell them it, must do something. I went back and read the info from their site and I would guess the single DaJ might work good on a stock late model LS650 carb. TP says the main needs to be about two jets small. This is about where I should be now, so would be an easy test to just stick one on when i install the new pipe. It didn't say where is the best location to install the jet? Injectors seem to be moving "up the stack" .Toward the air filter on the LS650.(?) The website shows the carb drilled and the new jet extending toward the center of the airway of the carb throat.  Tongue

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 03:55:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rejetting and Emissions Checks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.