Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Rejetting and Emissions Checks (Read 11 times)
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Rejetting and Emissions Checks
08/25/04 at 05:27:13

I know inspection and licensing requirements vary widely with locale but, in Dallas County, we are required to pass an emissions check each year as part of the vehicle's State inspection.  Has anyone had any trouble with passing this after rejetting the carb on their Savage?  I am planning on rejetting mine (in fact I've already ordered a DynoJet kit) but thought about this after reading on the DynoJet site that this may not be legal for street bikes in all areas.  I know many of you have already rejetted yours, so I thought this would be a pretty easy one to get answered.

Rob

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Re: Rejetting and Emissions Checks
Reply #1 - 08/25/04 at 07:51:25

We check only car & truck emissions here, bikes are not tested. Statistically bikes represent less than 1% of total emissions.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 08/25/04 at 09:38:24

Maybe that's the case here too.  I'm not sure.   My last bike was almost 15 years ago and I don't recall doing the smog check then but not everything is the same now.  I know checks for cages have become more extensive and restrictive than they were then and my last bike was a '76 KZ750 and may simply have been exempt by virtue of its age - some older cages are exempt too.  I just don't know yet.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #3 - 08/25/04 at 09:48:07

Reply Quote:
Maybe that's the case here too.  I'm not sure.   My last bike was almost 15 years ago and I don't recall doing the smog check then but not everything is the same now.  I know checks for cages have become more extensive and restrictive than they were then and my last bike was a '76 KZ750 and may simply have been exempt by virtue of its age - some older cages are exempt too.  I just don't know yet.

ask around, I don't believe all those straight-piped Harleys  I saw running around big"D" were swapping pipes for the annual inspection.
I bet you are good to go.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #4 - 08/25/04 at 09:56:30

johnson county(south of fort worth, west of ellis county) now has to check emmissions for cars and trucks, but bikes are not checked for emissions. i wondered about that too until i got the inspection on mine done.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 08/25/04 at 10:04:03

Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston/Galveston have much more restrictive testing than anywhere else in the state, followed by El Paso.  They charge an extra $39.50 on top of the normal inspection fees for the privilege too.  However, found what I was looking for under the Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance section of the Texas Administrative Code (gotta love the web) and it goes like this...

"Applicability. The requirements of this section and those contained in the revised Texas Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) State Implementation Plan (SIP) shall be applied to all gasoline-powered motor vehicles 2 - 24 years old and subject to an annual emissions inspection, beginning with the first safety inspection. Currently, military tactical vehicles, motorcycles, diesel-powered vehicles, dual-fueled vehicles which cannot operate using gasoline, and antique vehicles registered with the Texas Department of Transportation are excluded from the program."

Looks like I don't need to worry.

wrench

Reply #6 - 08/25/04 at 11:27:50

> emissions check each year as part of the vehicle's
> State inspection.  Has anyone had any trouble with
> passing this after rejetting the carb on their Savage?

Rejetting will raise the CO output and you won't pass.  If you do the jet/s, or remove the white spacer, or do any other power system mods, keep the stock parts so you can put 'em back on come test time.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 08/25/04 at 14:17:18

Most places that I've heard of don't check bikes yet.  They do cars here in NC, but so far we are safe.  So I live for the moment.

Just wait to see what may happen after 2006 when the new EPA restrictions fall into place.  Since the stock Savage is about as lean as it can get with an air cooled/ carb. engine, I expect a radical change to the Savage.  Might be farting through a catalytic converter too. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Jon
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/25/04 at 15:22:00

> Most places that I've heard of don't check bikes yet.

The bureaucracy is gearing up to test bikes, maybe in a year or two the fun will end.  There are going to be a h**l of a lot of Harley riders looking for those OEM pipes they threw away.  Dealers who've stockpiled them are going to do well selling them back.

> Since the stock Savage is about as lean as it can get
> with an air cooled/ carb. engine, I expect a radical
> change...

The torque advantage of this big single tends to mask the EPA lean sag quite well, so it might tolerate even leaner primary jetting.  Still, it's in danger.  Hopefully it won't get dropped from the line.  I suspect, to meet future standards, the engine will need water-cooling and F.I.

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #9 - 08/25/04 at 17:31:54

Quote:
I suspect, to meet future standards, the engine will need water-cooling and F.I.

What's good for the goose...

I think H-D, the same company that managed to get tariffs leveled against the imports 20 years ago, may have something to say about it. Besides, they already have EFI. Until the EPA can say definitively that bikes actually make ANY difference w/ regard to U.S. emissions controls vs. the amount of emissions generated by all cars and trucks, then it will not be a problem except for the Peoples Rep. of Kalifornia who like to impose that sort of crap just to be anal. The Feds know most bikes (I didn't say all bikes) spend most of their lives in the garage creating no emissions as opposed to your average commuter car or semi. They could mandate only fuel cells on ALL bikes and ATVs and it wouldn’t make a measurable difference. Even if they did pass some such crap they would be looking at all the new 1000 to 2000 cc bikes 1st. It would be easy to say those BIG heavy liter+ bikes are doing 90% of the damage and hang converters on the 1000cc+ bikes, saving the smaller bikes and our Savages/40's.
Speaking of EFI, if they gave tax credits for new variable fuel trucks like my Sonoma and the Hybrid cars, why not all EFI bikes getting over say 60 MPG?
I think we should give a tax credit to bike riders for both the purchase any of those new bikes and a credit on fuel put into them.

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Ace

Reply #10 - 08/25/04 at 18:56:19

> ...They could mandate....

Let us never forget that these government agencies work for US, we don't work for them.  If they fail to recognize that SUVs and other gas guzzling and polluting vehicles are the true focus, then it's up to US to protest or we'll lose our wonderful sport.  Seriously people, we are at a turning point in motorcycling and NEED to pay attention to what is going on.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 08/26/04 at 08:54:02

For those that haven't heard about the new EPA regs, the entire 50 states will be adopting the same "Kalifornia" standards over a period of time.  The standards for 2004 in CA will be everyone's in 2006, and then there will be another set of standards that take place 2-4 years later.

This happened back in March, I believe.  Been well discussed in the AMA etc.

Bottom line: we will be breathing cleaner air whether we want to or not, so keep the old pipe.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #12 - 08/26/04 at 09:00:31

I didn't know that.  Thanks for the update.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 08/26/04 at 10:50:46

I am somewhat curious though.  It seems to me that the bike is very lean when stock.  If I add a K&N air filter with no other changes, it should be leaner still, although it'll probably fart on every other stroke.  If I rejet only to a 150-155, it may not make that much difference to the emissions.  In any case, that's what I intend to try... but I'll save my stock parts.  My guess is that there will be a new market for slip-on mufflers with built-in catalytic converters.

Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #14 - 08/26/04 at 12:09:08

Yeah a $200 supertrapp will be $500.  Angry
I'm not too current, last I heard was current bikes will still be held to the same stds they have since '82 when they were all carbed.   the 2006 bikes will be the snag.
I doublt what kind of pipe you have will make any diff. on pre '06 bikes. Better get a new one now if you are wanting a new bike though. The current spec is not hard for most current bikes to meet. Unless you got a smokin hi-mile V-max. It's a one size fits all spec. unless they have changed it. I have no idea where this is in Congress. I imagine few in Congress know.
I guess the questions to ask the doorknobs before all this is implemented ;
How much will it increase the cost of a bike.
How much will it decrease smog.
Will it be measureable, if not why are you impossing this crap!
Perhaps if it can't be measured then 'sunset" this joke.

HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 01:32:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rejetting and Emissions Checks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.