Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Buzzing on the Right
08/12/04 at 12:10:36

Have noticed an odd thing and am wondering whether it happens to anyone else.  

Once my speed gets over about 50 mph, the bike vibrates more (makes sense as vibrations probably increase with rpms).

What I don't understand is why I feel the vibrations intensely in my right foot but not in my left foot.  Does this happen to anyone else?  Is there a reason for it?  Does it have anything to do with the pipe being on the right?

Edit: I modified the title in an attempt to reduce spamming into this thread.  We'll see if it helps.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Vibrating on the Right
Reply #1 - 08/12/04 at 14:09:14

Never noticed a difference.  Is everything tight on the right?  Exhaust pipe, muffler clamp and heat shield tight?  Rear brake lever adjusted correctly?

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #2 - 08/12/04 at 14:30:10

could it be the way you are holding your foot?

just this morning i noticed a big difference in the amount of vibration which changed depending on whether my toes were pointing more or less upward.

don't forget the wind doesn't pass around the right side of the engine in exactly the same way that it passes around the left due to the pipe's location...

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
cphilip
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/12/04 at 16:35:51

Double check your tires for both cupping and then if they are wearing smooth double check the air pressures on them and have someone balance them again. Might be just a hair off. Nothing like tires to make something a bit out of wack get exagerated.  They make all the difference. There will always be a bit of bounce and stuff as speed increases but anything in the tires will exagerate that and transmit that to your feel.

IP Logged
Honda_fan
2004 No Login

Go Ride!

Antioch, IL
Reply #4 - 08/12/04 at 17:22:04

Mine does the same. The vibes are the worst at 65MPH indicated and smooth out at 70. I always feel it the most in the right footpeg. Others have reported similar conditions on the Be_Savage group.

IP Logged
Pat B
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 08/12/04 at 23:56:54

I noticed the same thing on my bike.  I did check the tightness of everything and it was good and tight.

Quote:
The vibes are the worst at 65MPH indicated and smooth out at 70.

That's the solution that I use.  Just run at 68-70, and it's all good.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #6 - 08/13/04 at 06:25:29

Honda_fan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Mine does the same. The vibes are the worst at 65MPH indicated and smooth out at 70. I always feel it the most in the right footpeg. Others have reported similar conditions on the Be_Savage group.

Everything does seem to be tight on my bike.  I went back into the archives on the other forum wondering if anyone had a solution.  No one did.  The consensus seems to be that it is best to either ride slower or faster.  Someone did suggest gel pads in the shoes for long trips.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 08/14/04 at 04:10:32

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
Everything does seem to be tight on my bike.  I went back into the archives on the other forum wondering if anyone had a solution.  No one did.  The consensus seems to be that it is best to either ride slower or faster.  Someone did suggest gel pads in the shoes for long trips.

Thanks to all who have responded.

All bikes have a certain RPM where vibration creates harmonics through the frame....obviously, some have very little, but most do have some.  That sets up a kind of harmonic that gets amplified through the frame or the handlebar.  My old XS 850 seemed to do it at about 60, and at a time when speed limits were lower (a long time ago Shocked) the vibration would put my hands to sleep on the interstate.  The most annoying thing about that old Yamaha....

I haven't really noticed this with the right footpeg on the Savage.  Maybe it has to do with the Highway Hawk footpegs on mine.  They are heavier than stock and that might dampen some of the vibration.  Has your footpeg been damaged at all?

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #8 - 08/14/04 at 08:47:37

Interesting thought about heavier footpegs...  Mine have not been really damaged just a little scraped where I laid the bike down but I wasn't going fast at all -- I was pulling out of a gravel parking lot over a bump and the front wheel made it but the back wheel didn't.  I was hardly going at all so I can't imagine its damaged.  I do like the heavier footpeg idea.

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 08/14/04 at 09:20:25

I too think the heavier footpeg thing is a good idea, people use bar end weights to get rid of handlebar vibes.

Clive W

IP Logged
wrench

Reply #10 - 08/14/04 at 10:51:22

> I too think the heavier footpeg thing is a good idea,
> people use bar end weights to get rid of handlebar
> vibes.

Like a handlebar, you will notice more vibes when your foot is out near the end of the peg than when closer to the engine. An end weight on the footpeg will probably be the answer. I think Suzuki is still using hollow square tubing as a core for the footpeg so it should be easy to swedge a lead slug into it end.  Drop a bunch of fishing weights or lead shot down the tube and pound them with a rod and hammer.  Or, melt some lead and pour it in.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 08/15/04 at 03:09:05

A little over 4 years ago, I laid my Savage down (the last time I hope).  My speed was about 35 and the right footpeg took a good hit.  It wasn't totalled, just bent, and I took it apart to see if I could salvage it.

The inside of the stock peg, isn't hollow because it contains a spring mechanism that allows the peg to move up and down.  That is a good thing for a spill, but I don't think it allows room for added weights.

As Clive stated, there are bar end weights that can be added to the handlebar...which brings up another topic.  My grips are much more comfortable that stock (like my spouse's), because I added the Kuryakyn grips and they are much heavier and made of steel with rubber inserts.   I can easily ride long distances without gloves, if I want.

It might just be the idea of vibration dampening that helps.

IP Logged
Jon

Reply #12 - 08/15/04 at 10:38:40

> The inside of the stock peg, isn't hollow because it
> contains a spring mechanism that allows the peg to
> move up and down.

I got curious and disassembled the right footpeg on the S40.  I did not find a spring, the footpeg rubber acts as a spring to keep the footpeg level. There is a rectangular tubing skeleton under the rubber approximately 1/2 by 3/4 by about 4 3/4" long. There is a forged slug in one end that is drilled for the pivot pin. The slug is spot welded in three places and appears to be inside the tube about half its length.  But, there is empty space in the other half of the tube that would accept melted lead if you drilled an access hole in the tubing.  The S40 doesn't vibrate as much as my earlier bikes, but I would have definitely tried this weight idea in the pegs on the vibra-massage '88.

IP Logged
Jon

Reply #13 - 08/15/04 at 12:08:11

One other thing about the right peg vibration...  There is a small part that fits over the peg pivot pin that has a rubber pad on it.  The pad goes between the footpeg tab and the bracket's travel stop and acts to damp the vibes.  If that little widget is missing from your bike, or its rubber pad has rotted away you will get a lot more peg vibration.  The part can be seen in the exploded view at BikeBandit and is labeled number '10' (next to part 5) on the 'Footrest' page.  I can't get a working direct link so just look up OEM parts for a 2002 LS650.

* http://www.bikebandit.com

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 08/16/04 at 02:27:08

Jon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
> The inside of the stock peg, isn't hollow because it
> contains a spring mechanism that allows the peg to
> move up and down.

I got curious and disassembled the right footpeg on the S40.  I did not find a spring, the footpeg rubber acts as a spring to keep the footpeg level. There is a rectangular tubing skeleton under the rubber approximately 1/2 by 3/4 by about 4 3/4" long. There is a forged slug in one end that is drilled for the pivot pin. The slug is spot welded in three places and appears to be inside the tube about half its length.  But, there is empty space in the other half of the tube that would accept melted lead if you drilled an access hole in the tubing.  The S40 doesn't vibrate as much as my earlier bikes, but I would have definitely tried this weight idea in the pegs on the vibra-massage '88.

I might have described it wrong when I said "spring mechanism".  I know there is no spring, but the unit operates as a return to allow the peg to move upward.  Filling it with any material could prevent that action.  Rather than drilling and filling, a set of new pegs would be easier.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 11:15:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Buzzing on the Right

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.