Backfiring please help (Read 122 times)
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Re: Backfiring please help
Reply #30 - 07/20/04 at 11:57:46

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
Get a #152.5 main jet, and pop that puppy in there.  It is harder to get the bowl off the carb, than to change the jet, but you will immediately see the difference.
Know where the jet is?  Need pictures?

thanks for the info greg! i'll get that jet ordered today.

believe it or not, i can take it from here (in other words: have clymers manual, can dissassemble!)

jean

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #31 - 07/20/04 at 12:06:23

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
thanks for the info greg! i'll get that jet ordered today.

believe it or not, i can take it from here (in other words: have clymers manual, can dissassemble!)

jean

The jet will cost you a hefty $3-4 and most dealers have it in stock....even a Harley dealer has Mikuni parts.

Good luck.

IP Logged
Susan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

Been AWOL but I'm
back...

Eastern PA
Reply #32 - 09/14/04 at 06:25:51

I have a 2004 and just passed a 1000 miles.  When I first got the bike, there were very few backfires more like little puffs.  Recently backfires have increased.  Several times when my husband was riding behind me, he actually saw flames.  

I have made no changes to the pipe or jetting and I bought the bike new.  I thought it was a tank of bad gas as it started happening right after I gassed up.  It did seem to get better after I cycled through that tank but it still happens with a greater frequency and intensity than before.  

Someone mentioned getting a leak in one of the posts in this thread.  Could that cause the change?  If so, how do I check for a leak?  Any other ideas?

Also, I have re-read this thread, and am curious what "sounds tappetty" means (see quote below):

maria wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
now talking about backfiring - she has gone back to huge backfires, massive KERPANGS!!

i think it's the timing and she sounds seriously tappetty

Susan
Eastern PA
2004 Purple Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #33 - 09/15/04 at 02:59:10

Susan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
I have a 2004 and just passed a 1000 miles.  When I first got the bike, there were very few backfires more like little puffs.  Recently backfires have increased.  Several times when my husband was riding behind me, he actually saw flames.  

I have made no changes to the pipe or jetting and I bought the bike new.  I thought it was a tank of bad gas as it started happening right after I gassed up.  It did seem to get better after I cycled through that tank but it still happens with a greater frequency and intensity than before.  

Someone mentioned getting a leak in one of the posts in this thread.  Could that cause the change?  If so, how do I check for a leak?  Any other ideas?

Also, I have re-read this thread, and am curious what "sounds tappetty" means (see quote below):

Must be about time for your 1000 mile service check, eh?  I don't believe that you'll really have that just because of bad gas

The leaking that is referred to could be at the cylinder head gasket and the muffler clamp (fun to get to).  These things will loosen up a bit after a while.  Take a look down at the sight glass for the oil level and see if there is any black stuff on the engine case anywhere.  That will happen when the clamp is loose.

Also, when the engine is cold, check the tightness of the 2 bolts on the cylinder head end.  Air leaks on the pipe can cause backfires.

IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #34 - 09/15/04 at 14:06:39

Get a #152.5 main jet, and pop that puppy in there.  It is harder to get the bowl off the carb, than to change the jet, but you will immediately see the difference.

Know where the jet is?  Need pictures? [/quote]

I have never worked on a carb before. Is this something a rookie should attempt? My 2005 s40 backfires on decel a lot and my pipes are already showing a good amount of blueing. I have also seen a good amount of messages regarding the removal of the spacer at the jet, how hard is this to do. Does anyone know of a website with a detailed description of the process from beggining to end?

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Jon
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 09/15/04 at 14:10:37

>My 2005 s40 backfires on decel a lot and my pipes are >already showing a good amount of blueing. I have >also seen a good amount of messages regarding the >removal of the spacer at the jet, how hard is this to do.

Don't rejet, it's not necessary with the stock S40.  E-me off list for info on removing the needle spacer.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #36 - 09/16/04 at 02:31:57

Jon wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
>My 2005 s40 backfires on decel a lot and my pipes are >already showing a good amount of blueing. I have >also seen a good amount of messages regarding the >removal of the spacer at the jet, how hard is this to do.

Don't rejet, it's not necessary with the stock S40.  E-me off list for info on removing the needle spacer.

Inquiring minds want to know  ??? so get out that 3rd pin and stick it in my voodoo doll.

What makes your "Savage40" carb different from the Savage?  No fair taking the discussion offlist, we need to know too.

IP Logged
jbird
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 09/16/04 at 16:00:28

man i can pull into the parking lot with other bikes shut mine down and it will back fire everytime never fails thats a savage love it and live with it

IP Logged
cowboylukas
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Michigan
Reply #38 - 09/16/04 at 17:58:49

Yeah, last night my friend and I went over to a city strip near Lake Michigan and I was riding my 2004 Savage and he was riding his 2002 Savage.  He has changed his exhaust and put on a Jardine and I still have the stock exhaust.  Now that he has the Jardine on his bike hardly ever backfires and when it does it is not as noticeable as the stock muffler was.  So anyway, we are driving and there are buildings all around us, I am leading and bike keeps backfiring--it was so sweet everyone walking on the streets and people in other vehicles were looking over at me.  I can just only imagine what they are thinking...yup that is definately a Savage.  I love the fact that these bikes backfire it is just cool.  It is my first bike and I just turned over 5500 miles (I bought the bike in early April). Smiley

--2004 Silver Suzuki Savage--Lukas
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #39 - 09/16/04 at 18:52:04

Welcome Cowboy,
Ya know if you practice, you can backfire on demand w/ just the right throttle opening.
Something I have not tried- while deceling in high gear,
little or no throttle,flip the kill switch off for a couple of seconds then flip it back on. BOOM! Shocked Long ago a pal mastered this technique w/ his Corvair, worked every time.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
cowboylukas
YaBB Newbies
2004 No Login

Michigan
Reply #40 - 09/16/04 at 20:47:40

I appreciate that Mr 650.  I will have to give that one a shot.  I can do it pretty well by decelling in high gear like you say, but I have not tried to hit the kill switch while doing that.

--2004 Silver Suzuki Savage--Lukas
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #41 - 09/17/04 at 05:48:29

Mr 650 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
...backfire on demand... flip the kill switch off for a couple of seconds then flip it back on. BOOM! Shocked Long ago a pal mastered this technique w/ his Corvair, worked every time.
OMG.  I did this in my '53 Dodge in the mid '60's.  Talk about childish behaviour.  Sounds like a fun way to announce your arrival.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #42 - 09/18/04 at 05:47:55

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
OMG.  I did this in my '53 Dodge in the mid '60's.  Talk about childish behaviour.  Sounds like a fun way to announce your arrival.

It does seem that we are regressing a bit doesn't it?  Oh well, it all depends on your interpretation of the title of this topic  Roll Eyes

"Backfiring, please help (me do it better)"....

IP Logged
rkutzner
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 10/18/04 at 17:32:17

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I subscribe to Rider magazine, and I can't remember where I got the first issue (maybe from a dealer's mailing list)....anyway, it is from a May edition so it may be hard to find.

Basically Rider only echos the same fix that you'll read in all the Savage forums.  The later year Savages backfire...end of story.  It is because of the big single engine and changes made to satisfy the EPA requirements.  They leaned that puppy out....plain and simple.

To get rid of them, carefully drill out the brass plug on the right side of the carb and adjust the idle mixture screw.  This is the part mentioned in the Rider magazine.  This should help some of the closed throttle backfires.

For the other backfires, go to any Jap bike shop and ask for a #152 main jet for a Mikuni BS40 carb.  This will replace the #145 in yours.  (That should set you back about $3 or 4 bucks.)  The older Savages had a #155 but the carb was different too.....you will immediately notice a different tone in the exhaust, and when you ride there will be more mid range power.  As well, 95% of the backfires will be gone for good.....

I am assuming that you have a stock exhaust, so I don't recommend much more change for now.  Let me know how you do.  Ride safe.

Just drove home my S40 today and that backfire at decel and turnoff is annoying.  I have jetted my Z400 after several mods and this looks easier to get to so can you give more detail on adjusting the idle mixture screw?  Which way is richer?  FSM is on order  Grin

Also, is the plastic spacer thingy worth the effort or will this correct 99% of the problem?  

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #44 - 10/19/04 at 02:55:57

rkutzner wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:10:
Just drove home my S40 today and that backfire at decel and turnoff is annoying.  I have jetted my Z400 after several mods and this looks easier to get to so can you give more detail on adjusting the idle mixture screw?  Which way is richer?  FSM is on order  Grin

Also, is the plastic spacer thingy worth the effort or will this correct 99% of the problem?  

Counter-clockwise is richer.

The best results that I've had were to replace the spacer with another one that is about 1/2 the stock thickness.

When you take the carb apart, it will be interesting to see if there are any new changes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 21:29:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring please help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.