Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Backfiring please help (Read 122 times)
Elizabeth

Re: Backfiring please help
Reply #15 - 06/28/04 at 17:30:33

The last owner bought from a dealer. I guess it had been a trade in. The last owner didn't even put 200 miles on it. Was his first bike he said and did not know much about it.
It only puked gas when it was on. It had to have been the float because hubby sealed the crack and it was fine. The new one should be in tomorrow.
I think so far I have put 200 miles on it so far and have only had it for 2 weeks. Took it out yesterday for about 50 miles and it ran much better than before. So whatever I have been doing seems to be working. I have changed the air filter, battery, main jet and adjustment screw has been turned out 1 1-2 turns. I also put in a new header pipe gasket.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 06/29/04 at 13:55:46

Sounds like you've got a handle on the situation.  Did you ever install the Jardine?

(Time to dry out, just rode home in a thunderstorm Shocked)

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #17 - 07/02/04 at 20:50:10

Quote:
Interesting )  Must be some kind of "parental controls" going on....in my last post, I tried to use the correct name for the fuel "valve" on the tank, and it was changed to "petthingy"....cute.

I saw that too.   Grin  When I saw the references to petcock I thought that either it was an inside joke or that some folks here were so uptight their fannys squeaked.

I tested a few other words, they do it too.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
maria
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 07/09/04 at 19:10:37

now talking about backfiring - she has gone back to huge backfires, massive KERPANGS!!

i think it's the timing and she sounds seriously tappetty

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 07/10/04 at 06:20:06

maria wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
now talking about backfiring - she has gone back to huge backfires, massive KERPANGS!!

Now, back to the beginning...what have you changed?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 07/10/04 at 06:22:08

maria wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:

BTW - the timing is "fixed", unless you have opened the engine and done something in there.

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #21 - 07/16/04 at 14:33:15

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Oh yeah, if you get the Jardine (your husband is right to be wary), you might want to get a #155 main jet instead.

Whatever you do...do the rejetting at the same time that you change the exhaust....you run a real good chance of discoloring your new pipe if you don't.

my incredibly neglected and abused 97 came to me with a jardine pipe but the standard jet. other than the visual problem of discoloration, can using the standard jet cause other problems?

i'm not sure if the white spacer is even still in the carb as it had been taken apart and put back together by someone who did not know what they were doing, before i got it. needless to say it didn't run at first. and the person who fixed it for me didn't recall seeing a spacer when i asked him about it.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 07/17/04 at 04:33:14

First, it might be simpler if you read my last post about the Raask pipe.....

Now, let's start over....

Is the Jardine muffler or header pipe discolored now?  

Do you still have backfires?

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #23 - 07/19/04 at 12:22:31

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
First, it might be simpler if you read my last post about the Raask pipe.....

done.
Quote:
Now, let's start over....
Is the Jardine muffler or header pipe discolored now?  
Do you still have backfires?

1. did the airmix screw adjustment on the carburetor according to the heise site last weekend. the massive backfires i had are now little puffs on shutting down. there are still backfires of small to medium size on deceleration.

2. yes there is a spot of discoloration. we had thought it was due to a small fire.

3. occassionally the engine(but not electrical) will die if i pull in the clutch while in fourth gear as i decelerate. not regularly though.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 07/19/04 at 13:34:49

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
done.

1. did the airmix screw adjustment on the carburetor according to the heise site last weekend. the massive backfires i had are now little puffs on shutting down. there are still backfires of small to medium size on deceleration.

2. yes there is a spot of discoloration. we had thought it was due to a small fire.

3. occassionally the engine(but not electrical) will die if i pull in the clutch while in fourth gear as i decelerate. not regularly though.

1.  Good.  That one is done.
2.  Yes, a little fire...actually hot exhaust.  But it is hotter than the pipe was engineered.  Is the discoloration on the pipe up by the engine or at the beginning of the Jardine?
3.  Still a stock main jet (#145)?

IP Logged
sunny
2004 No Login

rock this town

d/fw texas
Reply #25 - 07/19/04 at 13:56:27

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
2.  Yes, a little fire...actually hot exhaust.  But it is hotter than the pipe was engineered.  Is the discoloration on the pipe up by the engine or at the beginning of the Jardine?

at the beginning of the jardine IF the jardine begins directly below the stock airbox cover.

Quote:
3.  Still a stock main jet (#145)?

yes.

flatblack rat - 97

sun_rat
sunny76059   IP Logged
atiger
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 07/19/04 at 14:08:06

I bought my 2002 Suzuki from a guy who had the Jardine pipe put on but didn't change the jetting.  The pipe is discolored (bike has 2200 miles on it).  I have had bike for two weeks and so far it only seems to backfire when I shut down the engine, not while riding.  Should I get the jet changed?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #27 - 07/19/04 at 14:20:18

Mine is a 98 and, so far as everything else I've seen, is totally stock.  I have not actually looked inside the carb yet though.  Mine only backfires on shutdown, so I haven't been too worried.  I may opt for rejetting later just for additional power but I always ride single (wife is terrified of bikes) so that's not really an issue either.   I am more inclined to keep reading and learning before I do anything other than possibly adjust the idle.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #28 - 07/20/04 at 08:50:02

sunny wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
at the beginning of the jardine IF the jardine begins directly below the stock airbox cover.

yes.

Thought so....

Get a #152.5 main jet, and pop that puppy in there.  It is harder to get the bowl off the carb, than to change the jet, but you will immediately see the difference.

Know where the jet is?  Need pictures?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 07/20/04 at 08:51:43

atiger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:07:
I bought my 2002 Suzuki from a guy who had the Jardine pipe put on but didn't change the jetting.  The pipe is discolored (bike has 2200 miles on it).  I have had bike for two weeks and so far it only seems to backfire when I shut down the engine, not while riding.  Should I get the jet changed?

Does it "pop, pop, pop" when changing gears or decelerating?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 22:41:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Backfiring please help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.