Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Baffle Removal (Read 90 times)
lordzamize
Ex Member

Baffle Removal
05/27/04 at 13:56:38

I have a 1997 Savage, and I want it to be louder.  I was wondering if I can remove the baffle with out working about the back pressure.

Can I drill out the rivits holding the baffle in place?  Do I have to adjust the carb or anything after doing that?

Z

IP Logged
lordzamize
Ex Member

Re: Baffle Removal
Reply #1 - 06/01/04 at 07:38:29

Soooo, I guess no one has ever done this?  Or have you?  Just looking for some guidance.

Z

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Columbus, Oh, Earth, Solar Sys
Reply #2 - 06/01/04 at 15:34:59

Check out this site: http://www.jonline.org/savage/Tips___How-to_s/tips___how-to_s.html

He's done quite a bit mufflerwise and covers drilling stock mufflers.

2001 Cherry Red and Ivory Yamaha VStar 1100

IP Logged
LondonThing-co-uk
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 06/01/04 at 16:19:56

Had a listen to that.... Anyone know what it sounds like with only the down pipe alone, and no can at all? (for Americans i mean muffler, lol)

ChrisF..

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #4 - 06/01/04 at 17:35:15

Yes I do.  When I put on the Harley muffler on mine, do you think for minute that I didn't start it up to see what it sounded like "raw"?

• 1. It's loud.

• 2. It's loud.

• 3. Higher pitched, more of a "brappp, brappp, brappp," sound, but louder.

• 4. It's loud.

IP Logged
LondonThing-co-uk
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/01/04 at 17:40:21

LOL, i would have done the same, but cant cos myne hasnt run in over 10 years, and iv been trying to get the thing together for the last 6 months! But then i did decide to Drastically mod and chop myne, befor i even got it running as a standard bike, Doh! And i havent got a muffler at all, just the down pipe, if it sounded reasonable, i was just going to put a turn out on the end...??? What does it sound like with the Harley muffler?

IP Logged
Paul

Reply #6 - 06/01/04 at 18:36:37

I have a harley muffler and it sounds great. I think it's pretty loud. I was told if i want to make it louder use a heat gun too hollow out the baffle.
I get alot of comments on how good it sounds.

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #7 - 06/02/04 at 20:34:10

Paul wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
I have a harley muffler and it sounds great. I think it's pretty loud. I was told if i want to make it louder use a heat gun too hollow out the baffle.
I get alot of comments on how good it sounds.

Concur.

It's quiet, but lower pitched than the stock muffler.  It has a lot better low pitched resonance.  Kind of a nice thumpa thumpa thumpa sound.

And it's a good bit lighter in weight. At least 1/3 lighter, maybe half.

I had an extension pipe made for mine:

There is a chrome heat shield covering the Zinc pipe now.

I'm considering painting the zinc pipe with high heat black (or maybe orange) paint -the kind they paint manifolds with- and getting one of these over it:

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup.aspx?GID=91ff6c5a-77d9-4448-8d6d-2d1df00...

IP Logged
lordzamize
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 06/03/04 at 16:42:27

Can I change out the stock with a Harley muffler without having to rejet, worry about back pressure, ect?

IP Logged
lordzamize
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 06/10/04 at 04:48:40

Here is what I did...

Rather then removing the baffle all together, or putting a HD muffler on, I just drilled two holes through the baffle plate, 5/16" wide.  I didn't use the foot long bit as suggested before.

It sounds great and does not seem to have any performance changes!

Grin

IP Logged
Gitarzan
Serious Thumper
2004 No Login

!

Reply #10 - 07/02/04 at 21:53:05

Gitarzan wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:06:
Yes I do.  When I put on the Harley muffler on mine, do you think for minute that I didn't start it up to see what it sounded like "raw"?
  • 1. It's loud.
  • 2. It's loud.
  • 3. Higher pitched, more of a "brappp, brappp, brappp," sound, but louder.
  • 4. It's loud.

• Funny, after riding around on it for a month it no longer seems to be very loud.  I wonder if I went deaf?  ???

IP Logged
    Savage_Greg
    Serious Thumper
    Alliance Member

Don't go around your
    ass to reach your
    elbow...

SW Washington State
    Reply #11 - 07/03/04 at 04:02:02

I forget who's picture I was looking at, but someone has a blue header pipe on their Savage...well, actually quite a few people do.  So...

...if you ask about the effect of removing baffles, drilling baffles, or completely removing the muffler on a stock late model Savage, all you need to do is think "blue".  Bluing is not normal, especially when we are talking about a double walled exhaust header.  Bluing is the result of running the engine hotter by leaning the fuel mixture or lowering back pressure.  That is the effect, and if you don't want "blue", then you better think "jets" too.

There can also be more serious impact from completely removing the muffler than simple hearing loss (a condition that I truely have).  You also run the risk of burning the exhaust valves.

BTW - with the mention of Jon D's site.  Yes, he drilled out his exhaust, but now he has a SuperTrapp or Jardine installed.  So maybe there IS a better way after all....

IP Logged
    Pages: 1
    Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
    SuzukiSavage.com
    05/20/24 at 00:31:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Baffle Removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
    YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.