Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Terrible primary gear whine (Read 150 times)
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Terrible primary gear whine
Reply #15 - 04/19/24 at 09:36:57

Got it pulled apart and sure enough its been worked on before, marks on the primary gear and some of the cover bolts were actually loose. Gonna measure the end play on the crank see what that looks like. Maybe I can find a used primary gear and matching clutch basket. They don't look worn but it obvious someone removed the primary gear on the crank. DAMIT! Wasn't a very good deal at this point as far as noise goes, hopefully it doesn't break before I can sell it off.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #16 - 04/19/24 at 10:37:04

What sort of marks do you see on the primary gears?  Would sure be nice if you could post some pics.

Make sure you have your battery disconnected while you are working around those primary gears.  These things have a habit of trying to crank on their own.  The decomp relays have an issue where they energize the starter without any sort of operator input.  You wouldn't want your fingers in there in the event of a relay failure.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 04/19/24 at 15:49:15

Thanks for letting me know about that. Gears are marked up badly, Cam tensioner must have failed. Both gears look like they ran with something stuck between them. No metal laying inside but when I 1st changed the oil there was lots of glitter in the oil. Also looks like the cam tensioner is new because there is absolutely no wear marks on it at all.Yeah well, if the gears are chewed up everything else in there has some wear on it too. Prolly best to get rid of it soon. Next time its clean bike with service history or no buy. I jumped on this not knowing what issues these savages can get into to at low mileage. Its probably ok to drive, its just noisy but who knows? The trans is very hard to shift too. Hell most jap bikes aren't even broke in at this mileage. Lesson learned movin on Thanks for the help everyone.

Something else they may have replaced the cam chain because there magic marker marks on the primary gears and the crank and nut. And inside the cover someone penned 2 1/2 with a marker?

I wonder if I could getaway with just taking the clutch cover off and using a impact gun to spin the crank nut off without pulling the other side apart to hold the crank? I'm sure I can find the primary gears used someplace.

I found a nice looking gear on fleabay for 15 bucks, I'm willing to try changing it.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #18 - 04/19/24 at 18:22:05

Attach a photo.

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 04/19/24 at 18:56:02

I didn't take any hands dirty with oil last thing I'm thinking about is taking pictures, If I go back in to replace the gears I'll take a few of the gears once I get cleaned up. I need to know If I can simply use a impact on the crank or must I remove the other side to hold it. If anyone knows please post up. It really wasn't much to pull the cover so I'm willing to go as far as replacing the 2 gears if I can buy a used set that were run together. So Far i'm only finding seperate pieces. I really do like this bike so it would be nice to save it. I looked at whole engines but I can only find nasty looking junk on fleabay for 750-1000<just not worth it to me. I can sell this for a 1000 and add another 1500 and find a nicer bike just like this. The marking on the gears look like it ate the spring inside the cam tensioner.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #20 - 04/19/24 at 22:38:17

Have you tried running the bike without the belt cover yet?
It could be as easy as that
Maybe look under the pulley cover for rubbing

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 04/20/24 at 01:44:27

No but I can, at this point its undoubtedly the primary gears and sure enough thats where the noise was coming from. No one knows about removing and replacing the primary gears? Someone must have done it at sometime on this site.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - 04/20/24 at 06:53:39

1) Buy a Clymer manual.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009XIUOJW?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

2) You can access the crank bolt on the left side through the timing access cover.  Be careful - it’s easy to screw up (strip, bust thru it, etc) that access cover and it has an o-ring.  I chopped off the point of a 1” paddle drill bit, filed it flat/clean, and made a 1” screw driver.  You can buy a special tool for it.  Some people have used a quarter or washer and a pair of vise grips.

3) Shell Rotella T4 is conventional oil (dyno juice).  T6 is full synthetic.  Both of these are JASO MA/MA2 ‘approved’ (safe) for bikes with wet clutches.  For whatever reason T5 (synthetic blend) doesn’t include the approval language.  I use T4 and just do more frequent oil changes.  I’m converting over to T6 for longer oil change intervals and finally being convinced that synthetic oil is superior to conventional oil.  I hope the Valvoline you put in there is motorcycle-specific.  Any oil labeled “energy saving” is a big no-no.  If it isn’t wet clutch safe, you will have clutch issues like slipping.  And who knows what other issues.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 04/20/24 at 14:05:47

Carefully inspect the piece on the crank that the cam sprocket slides onto.  When someone doesn't know that the crankshaft nut is left hand thread, they can overtighten the nut and fracture that part.  Once fractured it no longer holds the crankshaft together and a small pin that holds the gear for the counterbalancer can come loose - and the next thing you know the balance shaft is out of time and hits the crankshaft.....then the blance shaft gets knocked out the front side of the engine case!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/20/24 at 15:52:03

I'm using the Vavoline motorcycle oil 10-40. What I want to know is what could I add to help shifting in the lower gears. I was out today for about 100 miles and I feel bad that I beat the crap out of the shifter to get it into 1st or shift to 2nd and 3rd. Alot of times coming to a stop It get stuck at Neutral then I have to clutch it to get it to go into 1st otherwise it won't go.    I feel like I'm driving my dads old 53 Indian Chief!

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/20/24 at 15:54:27

Dave wrote on 04/20/24 at 14:05:47:
Carefully inspect the piece on the crank that the cam sprocket slides onto.  When someone doesn't know that the crankshaft nut is left hand thread, they can overtighten the nut and fracture that part.  Once fractured it no longer holds the crankshaft together and a small pin that holds the gear for the counterbalancer can come loose - and the next thing you know the balance shaft is out of time and hits the crankshaft.....then the blance shaft gets knocked out the front side of the engine case!
GOOD LORD!

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 04/20/24 at 15:58:57

I forgot to say I upped the idle a bit and it helped some with the decel whine. Not nearly as drastic. I think I'm going to put some miles on it before doing anything more with the primary gears. They are beat up but certainly won't break because of that. With my full windshield on the engine noises are quite loud.

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 04/20/24 at 19:31:05

I bought some T6 5-40 see if it helps the shifting.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 04/20/24 at 20:13:38

"I wonder if I could getaway with just taking the clutch cover off and using a impact gun to spin the crank nut off without pulling the other side apart to hold the crank? I'm sure I can find the primary gears used someplace."

Stay away from that nut with an impact wrench.  As Dave previously mentioned, you can do this.

BlakeEM_Cam_Chain_Sprocket2_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 04/20/24 at 20:21:12

Which may result in this.

Blake_Balancer_Failure_2.jpg