Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Found the noise on Decel! (Read 53 times)
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Found the noise on Decel!
04/16/24 at 08:39:32

I went for a ride yesterday but before I left I jacked the shocks up 1 notch because it was bottoming out. Well the noise on decel disappeared? I thought what the heck is going on but kinda dismissed it and rode on. Today I go to install bag brackets and find ALL the bolts that hold the rear right side fender on have been grinding the side of the rear tire when the bike squats under decel. Apparently some idiot put a a Shinko 140-90 tire on and never checked clearances. I also found 2 bolts of the bolts were loose and some other idiot cut the wring harness to work on the damaged right side blinker RIGHT AT THE PULL APART CONNECTOR! I'm a little freaked out at this point and am going to do a complete and through inspection of this bike and of course chuck the tire in the garbage!  

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Re: Found the noise on Decel!
Reply #1 - 04/16/24 at 10:57:07

Good that you found that tire rub.  I am surprised that the 140/90 Shinko rubs.  I have run a 140/90 Dunlop and didn't have any issues with tire rub but that could be due to the fact that I have one inch longer shocks.  I know several other members have run the 140/90 Dunlop also.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #2 - 04/16/24 at 14:00:26

Go to ACE hardware and get the matching allen head bolts and swap them. Much lower profile (doesn't stick out into the wheel space as far) as well as a smooth rounded head so any potential to rub is against a rounded head versus the sharp hex head.  I have a 140/90 15 and no rubbing, never did, but the main reason for my allen head swap is because I added strap steel for my homemade saddle bag brackets in on the underside of the fender using these bolts and I needed to recover the difference to prevent rubbing as I could see how close it was.

Only caveat is the allen heads can be a little tricker to tighten/loosen around the tire since you need relatively direct access to the head versus 90 degree wrenching, but if you are handy and have an assortment of tools you'll figure it out.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/16/24 at 15:34:09

I simply shaved the bolt heads and clearanced the fender by bending the sissy bar apart another 1/4 then remounting everything. It close now 1/32, real close but it will be ok. Can't mount the bag bracket though, no clearance for that. This bike is really a piece, i'm extremely disappointed with it. Not sure if I want to waste anymore time on it but it does fit me very well and has great power. The odometer thing is still stinging me every chance it gets. I gotta find a solution. I effin hate running out of gas and its happened to me 4 times on this bike so far. I'm looking at speedo,s from other bikes that I might be able to retro fit.

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/16/24 at 16:44:23

Still no joy! New thread coming up.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #5 - 04/16/24 at 17:35:08

stewmills wrote on 04/16/24 at 14:00:26:
blah-blah-blah...
-------------------------

Out of nowhere.   Shocked

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 04/17/24 at 09:24:52

04Savage04 wrote on 04/16/24 at 15:34:09:
The odometer thing is still stinging me every chance it gets. I gotta find a solution. I effin hate running out of gas and its happened to me 4 times on this bike so far. I'm looking at speedo,s from other bikes that I might be able to retro fit.

Get one of these. At each fill up set it to "100" above the last three of your odometer reading and you know when you get to that new number you're VERY close to running out of gas. Mine is attached to the brake cable and velcroed to the fluid reservoir so it doesn't rattle.

lock.png

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 04/17/24 at 09:29:35

I simply shaved the bolt heads and clearanced the fender by bending the sissy bar apart another 1/4 then remounting everything. It close now 1/32, real close but it will be ok. Can't mount the bag bracket though, no clearance for that.

Not sure why yours is too close? I have the stock little sissy bar as well as the additional depth of the 1/8" strap steel for my brackets and never an issue. I think I even had the same with the stock bag brackets that are about the same thickness (IIRC) before i made my own strap steel bracket for a different bag type. All using the button head allen bolts...

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/17/24 at 10:04:29

stewmills wrote on 04/17/24 at 09:24:52:
The odometer thing is still stinging me every chance it gets. I gotta find a solution. I effin hate running out of gas and its happened to me 4 times on this bike so far. I'm looking at speedo,s from other bikes that I might be able to retro fit.

Get one of these. At each fill up set it to "100" above the last three of your odometer reading and you know when you get to that new number you're VERY close to running out of gas. Mine is attached to the brake cable and velcroed to the fluid reservoir so it doesn't rattle.

Good idea

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 04/17/24 at 10:13:16

Instead of running out of gas 4 times (really?!), go fill up when you hit reserve.

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 04/17/24 at 10:28:41

I am filling up at reserve! I'm talking about hitting reserve in traffic, lots are nasty traffic here and people aint very friendly while you fart around getting to prime then reserve!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 04/17/24 at 10:45:08

04Savage04 wrote on 04/17/24 at 10:28:41:
I am filling up at reserve! I'm talking about hitting reserve in traffic, lots are nasty traffic here and people aint very friendly while you fart around getting to prime then reserve!

Oh, that's a little different.  Hopefully you can find creative way to stop having that happen.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 04:02:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Found the noise on Decel!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.