Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weird behavior, fuel filter or clutch? (Read 82 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Weird behavior, fuel filter or clutch?
04/08/24 at 12:01:33

Sooooooo,

I mounted a Sportster tank. It had some spot rust -- because I needed the bike running for work I decided against clearing out rust and instead installed an inline filter.

I've noticed I'm having some weird power issues -- it almost feels like a slipping clutch but not exactly. I'm noticing in the low gears I just don't have much power but I idle just fine and I'm able to start up without the choke. I have noticed air in the inline filter after riding, but not always.

The clutch was literally just replaced. Could lack of power be a fuel delivery issue? I don't have any signs of riding lean -- it's running generally very well, but I just have awful power in gears 2-4.

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Re: Weird behavior, fuel filter or clutch?
Reply #1 - 04/08/24 at 13:52:59

Inline filters are the kiss of death. They don't work well with gravity feed systems

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #2 - 04/08/24 at 13:54:15

You now the petcock has a filter built-in.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 04/08/24 at 14:58:24

Forgive my ignorance but I'm unfamiliar with inline filters generally or the performance issues they may pose due to air pockets, restricted flow, etc.

It seems based on the last two posts the filter is the issue here. I'm between stops with work. I'll get a straight hose and report back.

I run a vm36 carb by the way.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 04/08/24 at 16:44:07

Pull the line off the carb and test fuel flow.

A pint can is all you need to fill.

Figure out how fast you use a pint from your mpg vs mph.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/09/24 at 04:04:02

The fuel line and factory petcock/carb nipples are large enough that that an air bubble can freely move upstream and exit the fuel system.  The small fittings on the fuel filters are small enough that the bubble can be trapped and will not freely exit....the fuel wants to come down through the nipple on the fuel filter - but I believe the surface tension of the fuel is stronger than the small air bubble - and the flow stops.

This situation evidently can happen during normal operation, and some members have even had this occur after using a fuel filter for months period.  When they first install the new fuel filter the tubing the line is empty - and the fuel flows down the tube and pushes the air out the bottom.  After that the fuel system is subject to periods where the bike is not being ridden and air gets into the system from the carb end and the air travels up the tubing until it reaches the small fuel filter inlet.....and that is when the bubble gets lodged and stays.  The rider is suddenly at a loss as to why his bike has stopped running, and he starts looking for electrical problems and carb problems that don't exist!

The stock and the Raptor petcock both have a fuel filter screen in the tank......and the carb has a fuel filter screen on top of the seat for the carb needle.  If both of those are in place and working....I really don't see the need for a third filter - especially when they can be problematic.

If you are going to run a fuel filter - get one with with the largest diameter hole you can find, and mount it as vertical as possible.  The attached photo shows the difference in hole size for the inlet nipple on the carb and the hole size in a 5/16" plastic fuel filter.....you can plainly see the size difference - evidently the smaller size is easy for an air bubble to get stuck.

SizeMatters.PNG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/09/24 at 14:38:56

Alright,

Line was replaced without the filter -- still having power delivery issues. It looks like I need to take a look at the clutch.

It's a strange, delayed response at the throttle, but the throttle itself is plenty snappy. Feels like slipping but its mainly the low gears.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/09/24 at 14:52:36

Before you open her up and check the clutch, check your oil and make sure gas didn't get into the crankcase from a flooded carb.  This happened to me on my old S40.  I caught it in time and didn't have to go in and clean/deglaze the clutch plates/discs.  Fresh Shell Rotella T4 fixed my issue.  Hopefully it's something simple.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 04/09/24 at 16:21:28

Does gas in the crank really need a roughing up of the plates/disks? I don't think I have gas in the crank but I do think it's possible--- due to gas flowing out of the drainage lines after initial installation and also leaving the new petcock on one night recently. Oil doesn't smell much like gas.

Anyway back to the point. Lets say I did mix gas in my rotella t6.... Would I need to scruff the steels and disks up??

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 04/09/24 at 16:49:47

I was able to just do an oil change and resolve my issue.  If you have to clean the friction disks, there are different schools of thought, but light sanding (not aggressive) is my suggestion.  I used a nylon brush on some of the more stubborn glazed/shinny areas.  Dawn and warm water and dry in the sun if you can.  Some people use gasoline, kerosene, and other solvents.  But if gas fouled them up, why would you try to use gas to clean them? (just my logic).  Perhaps someone with more experience than me can chime in.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #10 - 04/09/24 at 18:01:45

Does it rev up normally and slip or does it try to rev up but runs so lean the bike is slow?  

I had a worn carb slide on my bike and it would stick causing the bike to run so lean it could hardly make it past 20 mph.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/10/24 at 09:00:26

It's not lean -- it sounds like it's running rather well actually it's just my RPMS aren't matching my speed. Rpms climb without power to the rear it's actually like struggling to go past 60 at WOT, seems to be getting worse every time I run it.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #12 - 04/10/24 at 11:31:10

I'd drain the oil and take a look.  Even if it doesn't smell gasy at the filler, it may have gas in there.  It does sound like a slipping clutch to me.

It only take 5-10 minutes to drain the oil.  If it's okay, just put it back in the motor so you don't have to waste the oil if it sill has life.

Have you been using the Rotella T6 synthetic for a while?  I ask because another bike I had experienced clutch slippage with Valvoline full synthetic motorcycle-specific oil.  Switched to good ole dino juice Rotella T4 and problem solved.

Was there any specific thing that happened right before you started having this problem?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #13 - 04/11/24 at 18:09:06

Surviving Philly wrote on 04/10/24 at 09:00:26:
It's not lean -- it sounds like it's running rather well actually it's just my RPMS aren't matching my speed. Rpms climb without power to the rear it's actually like struggling to go past 60 at WOT, seems to be getting worse every time I run it.
----------------

Yeah, that sounds like a badly slipping clutch.  You said it was relatively new.  It might have been improperly installed, improperly adjusted, or both.  Or the wrong oil.  It's likely fired if it's slipping as badly as it sounds.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 03:05:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Weird behavior, fuel filter or clutch?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.