Overcharged Battery? (Read 47 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Overcharged Battery?
03/28/24 at 08:49:29

I’m considering a totally stock unmolested 2017 S40 with about 5000 miles on it that needs some help (I got outbid on the 2022 Royal Enfield Himalayan I was entertaining as my next project).

The seller says he forgot to unplug the battery charger last summer and now the bike won’t start and has a “short”.  I’m not sure I buy the story, but assuming it’s true, what would likely be “fried” from overcharging the battery?  The first thing the juice would hit is the starter relay, right?  Yes/No?  Decompression solenoid??

I know it will need a complete fuel system cleaning (tank, line, carb) after sitting up this long.  Hasn’t started since early last summer per the seller.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Overcharged Battery?
Reply #1 - 03/28/24 at 17:59:52

Overcharging a battery would likely not have any affect on the bike.  An overcharged battery could be damaged - but the battery likely could not inflict any damage on the bike.......provided that he used a real battery charger and voltage was within reasonable limits when he turned the key on.

Does the bike function normally other than not running?  Do the lights work, horn blow, turn signals flash, starter turn the engine over, decompression solenoid engage....etc. ?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 03/29/24 at 07:20:21

Thanks Dave.  I didn’t think an overcharged battery by itself would be the issue.  Just going off what the guy told me.  The bike is in Austin so I haven’t seen it in person.  I’ll see if he’ll entertain some more questions.  He said it does “click”, so I’m suspecting the starter is toast from too many rapid/long attempts to start.  It seems like the classic fail of frying the starter trying to fire up a bike with a gummed up carb.

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 03/31/24 at 20:01:27

A bad battery would make the starter go click then bikes does nothing

« Last Edit: 04/01/24 at 19:25:21 by Yoshi »  
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 04/01/24 at 04:52:04

Thanks Yoshi.  Agree.  Probably has a dead cell or two.

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/11/24 at 17:36:43

I'm a electrical engineer hands on project guy. When it comes to not starting  because of a electrical problem the list is long. I'd start with testing the battery fuses and main connections then if that all checks out check your safety interlocks clutch switch kill switch etc. and of course if it cranks but won't start is a whole different ball game if it won't crank. With the battery charger on the battery and key off realistically only the battery could be damaged from overcharging and is likely cooked  out of water. Nothing else could be effected if thats the true story.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 04/11/24 at 17:44:59

Thanks 04Savage.  I ended up not buying this bike as a project.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 03:16:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Overcharged Battery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.