Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OldFeller , has a twin ! (Read 160 times)
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: OldFeller , has a twin !
Reply #15 - 02/20/24 at 20:13:42

Hay OldFeller

Long time ago I was casting some 115gr Lee SWC's and was dropping them in some burn motor oil to quench them ... and they turned black with the color imbedded into the bullets , they also were real really HARD !
Their cutting edges were "Hard and Sharp" , I'm thinking they were some of the best bullets I've ever dropped out of a mold !  
But
I've shot them all up long ago and have been unable the get the process to repeat its-self.

Has any of the Cast Bullet group ever shared a similar story and know how to do it on command ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 02/21/24 at 21:57:46

Oil is used to quench carbon steel, we use tap water to drop our cast bullets into if we want them full hard.

Of late, with powder coating nobody bothers with water dropping bullets as they can be shot soft at full speed because of the plastic jacket you put on them by powder coating them.

Shooting bullet lube grease into lube grooves is pretty much passe nowadays ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #17 - 02/22/24 at 07:22:23

Shooting bullet lube grease into lube grooves is pretty much passe nowadays ......  

I went to Lee-Alox long time ago and haven't tried anything else.

Years ago I was shooting Pistol (Contender) "Iron Turkey" and ran through a lot of projectiles , I got tired of reloading and started sticking to the "Small-Bore" wing of things.
But
I have a nice supply of reloads ready for the Zombie's when they get here , already fixed up and ready to go !   Grin

I've found that Ballard Rifling (.357 Rifle) works with my reloads .   But the micro grove barrels (all the others) and lead bullet lube doin't like each other very well.
So
How does the plastic and Micro Grove get along ?

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 02/22/24 at 22:16:12

Micro groove likes post powder coat sizing at an extra thousandth or two larger than your old lubed lead.   This is the same fit that actually makes microgroove work with bare lead bullets, so this isn't new to cast bullet folks.

Actually, if the bullet will chamber after powder coating lots of the new crowd just shoot them as cast and as powder coated, trusting the taper leading into the rifling to size the bullet to perfection as you fire it.

My 8x56 Steyr rifles operate just fine using this "size it as you shoot it" trick as the throats are just plain huge in those WWI vintage mud eating design guns.   Results would vary on more modern guns so I size those according to current LEE cast sized standards.  

A thou and a half oversized on a powder coated bullet is the result, generally.

« Last Edit: 02/28/24 at 13:05:42 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #19 - 02/23/24 at 19:06:46

Thanks .

If we never go to war , then maybe I won't need to reload more ?  

I don't know how to powder coat !  

You ever want to do something like this :

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?p=ratting+air+rifle#id=1&vid=990fe42
1d8048356fcae47deb1613637&action=click

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 08:00:30

General CategoryThe Cafe › OldFeller , has a twin !

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.