Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
No starting, no clicking, no cranking. (Read 257 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: No starting, no clicking, no cranking.
Reply #30 - 02/19/24 at 04:37:57

I rock it old school - I have removed my clutch and kick stand safety switches to improve the chances of me making it home every ride without an electrical gremlin stranding me far from home!

I learned to ride before motorcycles had safety switches, and my starting routine includes safe practices.  I get on the bike and lift the kick stand, turn on the fuel and key and look for the neutral light, set the choke, grab the clutch and hit the starter button.  The process has been the same for the last 56 years or so.....although for the first 45 years it involved using a kick starter!  (Some bikes don't allow you to kick start with the clutch lever pulled in.......I rock them back and forth to confirm the transmission is in neutral before stepping on the kick stater).  You should also have the motorcycle pointed in a direction that allows you to ride off if something goes wrong and the bike moves forward when it starts.

You can ride a motorcycle safely without safety switches - if you are attentive to the process.  Safety switches no doubt help the distracted to keep from getting hurt and are definitely beneficial - however you can do without them if you are careful.

(PS)  If you let somebody ride your bike.......let them know there are no safety switches!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #31 - 02/19/24 at 12:42:49

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about the safety switches, I have only been riding since 2016, but I've developed a habit of safely starting the bike. When I first started out riding, and the S40 is my first bike, I used to make mistakes such as trying to start in gear with the kickstand down, etc - and the safety switched definitely prevented a few booboos.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #32 - 02/19/24 at 17:29:02

Having a kickstand hit the pavement while riding might make you think twice about disabling the safety switch.  I did it once, it was like a sucker punch....sudden and violent!  

That said, I am not overly concerned with the safety switches either.   Maybe the neutral switch but mostly for the indicator light.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #33 - 03/01/24 at 07:35:49

LOL, the saga continues, turns out it wasn't the clutch swing after all. I wanted to ride the bike to work this morning, I got out, put my gear on, my helmet, go to start - nothing. Same exact behavior as before, the lights dim, but no cranking. I gave the starter a few taps, still nothing. Then all of a sudden I try one more time and it starts normally.

I rode it to work, and I hope when I'm ready to leave it will start to get me home.

I imagine it can't be a problem with the switch, otherwise the lights would not dim when I press the button?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #34 - 03/01/24 at 08:20:14

I had a very unusual problem about 5 years ago
Intermittent starting
It turned out that the plastic starter button on the handlebar had rotted a bit and flaked off a chip of plastic that would occasionally jam the button a hair away from the contact and then no start
Took me ages to find it

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 03/01/24 at 08:25:40

Serowbot wrote on 03/01/24 at 08:20:14:
I had a very unusual problem about 5 years ago
Intermittent starting
It turned out that the plastic starter button on the handlebar had rotted a bit and flaked off a chip of plastic that would occasionally jam the button a hair away from the contact and then no start
Took me ages to find it

Yeah, but that would cause no response from the bike, mine dims the lights when I press the button. I will do more tests with the voltmeter to determine if the starter is getting power.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #36 - 03/01/24 at 09:16:21

Before you blow off the clutch safety being the culprit - bypass it and confirm that is not the problem.  Sticking a jumper wire between the terminals is probably the easiest thing you can try when looking for the culprit.

Your light may be dimming as the starter button is energizing some circuits prior to reaching the starter relay.

I seem to remember someone claiming the 2004 and later bikes turn the headlight off when the starter button is pushed - but I don't see how that happens when I took a brief look at the wiring diagram.  (I am not sure trying it on my 2007 will tell us anything, as all the safety switches and decompression relay have been removed).

Making jumper wires for the clutch and kickstand safety switches and throwing it in your tool bag may allow you to solve your issue and get home if you are ever out on the road and one of the switches fails.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 03/01/24 at 09:36:12

When you hit the starter button, connection is interrupted between power to the lights from the main orange power line.

This is the modified wiring diagram I made for my build -- you can see the connections on it her. This is a 2013.

IMG-20231228-WA0000.jpg
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 03/01/24 at 10:45:30

I already have the clutch switch permanently bypassed - i cut and soldered the two wires together.

I'll put a volt meter onto the starter leads next time and see if its getting power when I press the start button.

IP Logged
RK-tek
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 03/03/24 at 14:11:39

Do you use the kill switch to shut the bike off or just the key? It could be the kill switch not making full contact because of wear or corrosion.
I rode my bike the other day for the first time this season and stopped at a friends house. Went to leave and had no start. It was dark and I didn’t want to be stuck away from home with a broken bike with 10 non-mechanically inclined drunk people. After inspecting the starter relay and some fuses, I realized I’d left the kill switch off. Flipped the switch and she started right up. I was mostly angry at myself. Been riding 30 years and sometimes the little things still get you.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #40 - 03/03/24 at 14:50:31

RK-tek wrote on 03/03/24 at 14:11:39:
Do you use the kill switch to shut the bike off or just the key? It could be the kill switch not making full contact because of wear or corrosion.
I rode my bike the other day for the first time this season and stopped at a friends house. Went to leave and had no start. It was dark and I didn’t want to be stuck away from home with a broken bike with 10 non-mechanically inclined drunk people. After inspecting the starter relay and some fuses, I realized I’d left the kill switch off. Flipped the switch and she started right up. I was mostly angry at myself. Been riding 30 years and sometimes the little things still get you.

Maybe your incident was a sign not to drink and ride.

« Last Edit: 05/05/24 at 17:55:56 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #41 - 04/16/24 at 19:14:48

So turns out its the ignition switch afterall. If I press the button real hard and sort of wiggle it around, the bike will start. Weird that the lights dim even on a soft press, but starter wont engage until I push it so hard my thumb turns blue.

I guess I'll take it apart and clean it real well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 05:12:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No starting, no clicking, no cranking.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.