Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
No starting, no clicking, no cranking. (Read 257 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: No starting, no clicking, no cranking.
Reply #15 - 02/06/24 at 04:24:04

Before I start messing with the wiring, should the decomp always click when trying to start?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #16 - 02/06/24 at 07:18:02

I do believe that's the case sir.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 02/06/24 at 09:46:05

och wrote on 02/06/24 at 04:24:04:
Before I start messing with the wiring, should the decomp always click when trying to start?

Yes and the fact that it's at least trying to start says the safeties are sorta ok.  I say sorta because there maybe an intermittent problem as DBM says.

What I see is you probably have a dead short.  And because you don't hear the decomp click I'd start there.  Pull the tank, disconnect the decomp solenoid and try to start.  Joy?/No Joy?

Then I would pull the decomp/starter controller and bypass the wires from the starter button to the starter relay.  A short wire with 1/4" spade connectors on both ends works.  I can only give you a hint witch connectors to jump, 1 of the centers comes from the starter button and will go to 12v when pushed, then opposite side, 1 off center goes to the relay, you probably can tell which by color.   Grin  good luck

WWW   IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #18 - 02/06/24 at 11:24:06

This simple diagram shows how the juice gets from the battery to the starter relay.  I would do the very easiest check first.  Pull the plug out of the clutch switch and jumper y/g to y/g.  If it cranks you have found your problem.  Be careful, with that switch jumpered the thing will crank even if the clutch is engaged.

Starter_Circuit_Sketch.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 02/06/24 at 18:12:21

Thank you guys, Probably wont have time to deal with it this week, too much work.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 02/08/24 at 15:07:56

One more dumb question, for when I finally get the time to deal with the bike. If I were to use a voltmeter, and put the black tip against somewhere on the frame, and the red tip to the wire going to the starter - I should not see voltage until I press the start button, but when I press the start button I should get nominal 12 volts?

If I dont get any voltage after pressing the start button, it means something is broken in the circuit, and if there is 12 volts its the starter?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #21 - 02/08/24 at 16:16:40

I think that would work.  Your test is basically making sure power is getting past the starter solenoid.  A solenoid can click but it may not be closing the circuit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2rLRyIoYKQ

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 02/09/24 at 08:59:42

So everything just got worse. I went out this morning with a voltmeter to test the starter, but the second i pressed the start button, the bike cranked and started as it normally would. Runs fine. Last time I tried to start it the weather was cold and crispy, today its warm and damp. I guess the moisture is getting somewhere enough to make a contact. Now I'm afraid to ride the bike somewhere as it may not restart if I shut it off.

To make matters even worse, my foot brake pedal is stuck. The lever on the drum moves fine when I pull on it, so its gotta be the cable assembly. I'll order a new cable assembly I guess.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/09/24 at 09:16:23

I must have a lot of corrosion somewhere, I was riding on a nasty day, it was "snowing" - the snow was melting as soon as it hit the ground, but the city dumped so much salt, there were patches of salt bigger than speed bumps, and it was all wet and nasty. By the time I got home, the poor savage was covered with it and now the gremlins are coming out.

https://youtu.be/nUW0NhTS7qI

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #24 - 02/09/24 at 09:56:54

You must really wanna ride.  I don't know how you can ride in the snow.

Again, my bike has an intermittent problem with the clutch safety switch.  It behaves EXACTLY like your video shows.  I correct it by playing with the position of the clutch lever until the starter kicks in, so I know it's the clutch switch.  It's very simple to diagnose.  Just unplug the connector from the switch and place a small jumper between the two wires.  The connector has female sockets so it's very easy to jumper.  Just make sure you bike is in neutral before you try to start.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 02/09/24 at 10:49:52

DragBikeMike wrote on 02/09/24 at 09:56:54:
You must really wanna ride.  I don't know how you can ride in the snow.

Yeah, riding all year round, but rarely the Savage. Mostly use my K1600 and SMC-R 690. Wanted to ride the Savage last weekend, was going to join a group of older Harley riders, but it didn't start. I'm sure I'll get the starting issue figured out, and I already ordered a new rear brake cable.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 02/17/24 at 13:01:10

Thanks everyone who helped me. It is the clutch switch - went to start the bike this morning, no go. Terminated the switch, started right up. Removed the termination wire, no start.

I guess I will just permanently terminate the switch. My other two bikes start without the clutch pulled in as long as they are in neutral.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #27 - 02/17/24 at 15:12:51

Glad you found the issue.  Mike will know, but can you clean it up?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #28 - 02/19/24 at 02:21:46

Congrats.  Glad you got her crankin.

Yes, you can disassemble the switch and clean up the contacts.  It's delicate work (sort of like watch repair).  I've managed to get about 15K more miles out of it, but it's starting to go bad again.  I always carry a jumper with me.

It has a slider.

Slider.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #29 - 02/19/24 at 02:23:28

And a set of contacts.  They look like this when it's inoperative.

Contacts.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 05:00:12

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › No starting, no clicking, no cranking.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.