Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Interested in a custom- sort of.......... (Read 160 times)
burrpenick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Interested in a custom- sort of..........
07/30/15 at 17:58:02

I'm a vet who has downsized to a Suz TU250 that is looking for a bit more power but not the weight. Have owned many big singes over the years and like the size and simplicity. I dont like the cruiser/chopper stance of the Savage, but I LOVE the Ryca look- but not the price. I actually was thinking of just the seat/tail section and a handlebar change; maybe the foot controls moved back some, but NOT rearsets. Is that doable? Has a semi-Ryca been created by another member? I can see the frame RAKE is rather long, but I could accept that for the VERY limited riding I'll do with a bike.  Thanks, George in NC.

IMG_4546.jpg
  IP Logged
burrpenick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Interested in a custom- sort of..........
Reply #1 - 07/30/15 at 18:10:22

Forgot to ask about the gas tank. I'd prefer to keep the original since it fits well and also the expense of getting a new one. I dont like the high top. Anyone performed surgery on a stock tank and lived to pass on the do's and donts? Any tips on how to move the foot controls to a STANDARD position would also be nice to hear!  Thanks, george

SR500_Yanx.jpg
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 07/30/15 at 18:14:43

2" taller rear shocks (Intruder 800 fit), and standard or drag style bars, will go a long way.
The front of my seat is also raised 2",... and the gas tank is raised 1" in the rear to give a flatter look. (easily done with spacers)...
...(midsets are just too much trouble for me)... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
burrpenick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 07/30/15 at 20:01:21

Thank you- all neat ideas, and ones that I will surely keep in mind. Of course I've not yet purchased the 2001 Savage that caught my attention. It has 12K miles and has been kept inside, all stock besides the muffler and he has the original too. Asking 1500, was hoping I could get it for less and use the savings to buy some standard parts. George (yes, wish I'd kept the TT500)

Honda_GB500.jpg
  IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #4 - 07/30/15 at 20:05:58

Hey Serowbot, any problems lifting the tank that high and having clearance around the petcock?

Sorry to 'jack this thread.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
burrpenick
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Serowbot????
Reply #5 - 07/30/15 at 20:38:12

Whats the catch can for? Are the bar risers stock? I"m thinking of drag bars or what was once called a semi flat touring bar

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 07/30/15 at 20:46:29

that's a thermas

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 07/30/15 at 22:00:29

verslagen1 wrote on 07/30/15 at 20:46:29:
that's a thermas

Grin... must have water in the desert...

Ne clearance problems with the tank, if you have a Raptor.... (and you should have a Raptor)...

My 97' came with pullbacks stock... I cut down some BMX bicycle pegs to 3" for risers...
Seat and tank lifts were shock bushing spacers... (anything will work)(1/2"electrical conduit... I use that for all kinds of stuff)...

Love the GB500... Wink...

IP Logged
FerousBastard

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #8 - 07/31/15 at 00:10:17

As far as rear(mid)set footpegs goes, Ryca's seem to be the only option, you could modify them to bring the pegs forward some. They are supposedly  fairly standard positioned to begin with.
With the rearsets in mind, I'd recommend either raising the stock seat or mounting a taller variety from a different bike, a Triumph Bonneville seat (with the dip) is supposed to fit if you switch the fender brackets.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1377965704

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 07/31/15 at 08:04:35

WWW   IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #10 - 07/31/15 at 08:07:30

FWIW re the footpegs. Since you haven't got the bike yet, you might want to ride it with the stock pegs for a little while before you make a decision to change them. The pegs aren't really all that far forward compared to a lot of cruisers. When I first got my S40 after mostly riding dual sports and motocross bikes, the foot peg location felt a bit odd, but it didn't take long for  it to feel completely natural. Now whenever I jump on a dirt bike or a standard - like the Bonneville that I've been drooling on down at the local Triumph dealer, the peg location on those bikes feels weird.

the pegs on the S40 are far enough back so that I can still lift my butt off the seat when I need too while negotiating the truly crappy roads around my home.

Give it a little time and you might save yourself some unnecessary work and expense.

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #11 - 07/31/15 at 08:56:52

Hey 'bot,
Any additional changes needed when only adding 2" longer shocks?  
I'm thinking of things like, belt length / adjuster limits, rear brake cable, exhaust bracket, tire clearance to the swingarm etc.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Boogie_with_Stu

Look Ma, no hands!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #12 - 07/31/15 at 09:15:27

I recently bought a 2003 Savage here in NC, and that price (depending on the condition of the bike of course) is pretty good. If the bike hasnt been dropped, the chrome and trim are in really good shape from being stored indoors, and she is turn-key ride-able, you'd be hard pressed to find one too much cheaper.

Sounds like you'd be happier with a bike with a great engine but everything else is crappy Cool  , but even "parts bikes' can go for $900-1000 around here.

I suppose you would need to look at what all you wanted to do before you purchase the bike. That year has short risers and buckhorn pull-back handlebars (I hated them), so you will need a set of bars and either store-bought or DIY risers. Good news is, you wont have to replace the clutch or brake cables.

Changing the seat can get expensive..and has it's frustrations. Our Savage has a "frame dip" where the seat is, and getting a flatter seat on there will leave a big air gap. If you are handy and can work with sheet metal, covers can be fabricated to cover that gap.

Changing the position of the controls even more so than the seats...is a lot of work.

Changing a Savage into a bobber is not that hard from what I have seen here. Changing her into a cafe-style racer is a bit more money and work. Changing her into a STANDARD bike (like a Bonny or the old Kawasaki 550's) seems like it would be harder than both of the above. Again, it all depends on how much labor you can do yourself, and how many parts you can scavenge off of eBay.

Good news is, the Savage has one of the best singles out there. Your powerplant wont be an issue.

Have you done a Google picture search for "modified Suzuki Savage"? Plenty of ideas out there (though a lot of those pics will bring you back here). Just a heads up, when using the search function here...the default search time frame is just 2 weeks. Make sure you change that to at least 1 year if you really want to see what's here.

03 Savage, Pearl Novelty Black,Raptor mod, Boulevard seat, Rectifier mod -'07 Honda Nighthawk 250 stock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 07/31/15 at 09:15:55

Tocsik wrote on 07/31/15 at 08:56:52:
Hey 'bot,
Any additional changes needed when only adding 2" longer shocks?

If you keep the beltguard, it may need just a small notch cut away at the front, and one bolt head just below the front pulley should be swapped for a roundhead.
...(There's a years old thread with pics someplace around here)... Undecided...

...found it...
Trim here...

This bolt...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 07/31/15 at 11:57:57

We have a Bike Builds sticky at the top of the Rubber Side Down section, you can look at a lot of bikes there and see if something works for you or gives you an idea.

Perhaps the look and ride you are going for, is something like this:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1369527081

That bike has a lot of work in it......it is very well done.

Moving the pegs and controls back is not easy.  If you have to ask about it, most likely you don't have the ability to do it on your own.  If you are an experienced fabricator it is still time consuming.

I bought the RYCA rear set and kick stand mounts, and then bought some rear set pegs that I liked a bit better than the RYCA pegs.  I fabricated my own brake rod and shift linkage.

You don't have to change the footpeg location to make a nice bike - however the stock pegs are far enough forward that the bike will always look and ride like a Cruiser or Bobber.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 21:22:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Interested in a custom- sort of..........

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.