Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Seat (Read 1539 times)
njrmahoney

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Seat
08/31/13 at 09:15:02

I came across a custom seat on craigslist, metal pan nice simple bench style.
I would like to mount this to the bike as simply as possible and am looking for some ideas. I dont mind leaving the rear fender, and actually think i can use the regulator mounting holes to mount a bracket. Maybee another simple bracket using the front mounting holes. I would fill in the gap under the seat with something.

Compilation.jpg
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Re: Seat
Reply #1 - 08/31/13 at 12:04:16

If it has a metal pan just cut and bend some metal stock strips that will line up with the original mounting holes and mount them on the metal pan  Wink

Nice looking seat BTW!
  Cheesy

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/31/13 at 17:54:29

First of all that really is a great looking seat and it is the right size for the bike.  Looks like it will provide more room for a passenger than the stock seat.  Do you know what make and model bike it came from?

I just mounted a new seat on a bike and discovered it was easy.  You need to accomplish only two things with brackets and mounts, carry the weight and keep it in place.  

The weight can be carried by blocks of almost any material attached to the bottom of the seat.  A rubber block or maybe a piece of wood with a piece of inner tube glued to it will carry a lot of weight, use these at about five or six locations.  Some of these blocks if properly located might also serve the keep the seat from sliding fore-aft or sideways.

Use brackets to hold it in place.  You could bend some scrap steel and drill some holes and have a mount as ToseNose suggested.  If you have no scrap buy some thin bar stock at a hardware store.  The support blocks will take the greatest load, the other brackets will just keep it all aligned so they don't have to be elaborate.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
njrmahoney

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/31/13 at 19:24:50

The seat was custom made for a Yamaha 650 by a local guy. He did not like it, so sold it and made another. The metal base is not rigid enough to support me. I have an old skateboard, that is very stiff, and cut down matches the profile of the seat. I think I can get some longer bolts and bolt through the rear tank mount, and one bolt through the fender.
Once the wood is secured to the frame, the seat can be held in place with some heavy duty Velcro. I like the fact that I can mount this without a lot of fuss.

IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #4 - 09/03/13 at 05:24:09

precisely what i want to do and i like your bars as well.  actually, i'd like to lower the front end with the 2" reduction mod and then put a seat exactly like this on.  this gets me thinking....

IP Logged
uigiroux

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/04/13 at 23:53:11

I was just about to make a posting asking how I can install a seat EXACTLY like the one you have shown in your pictures.  Do you think you could provide me with some more information as to how I can get the proper mounts so I can put a seat just like yours on mine.  I've always loved the look of the Triumph Bonneville and this is just that!  Beautiful!

IP Logged
Arnold
Serious Thumper

The dude abides...

Westchester, NY
Reply #6 - 09/05/13 at 07:56:09

Hey, a banana seat from the 70s.

IP Logged
njrmahoney

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/08/13 at 07:40:49

The seat is not mounted yet, I have been scratching my head on that one,. I removed the rear fender, then put it back on. Your mention of the Bonneville, got me thinking. I have a Bonneville seat and it actually looks pretty good. what do you think? I am torn between the two looks.
The triumph seat is a tad long, so i had to un-bolt the tail light and slide it back a bit. its just resting on the fender now. The custom seat looks good also, but might take a bit more working to mount.

triumph_seat.jpg
  IP Logged
njrmahoney

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/08/13 at 07:42:55

misterbbq wrote on 09/03/13 at 05:24:09:
precisely what i want to do and i like your bars as well.  actually, i'd like to lower the front end with the 2" reduction mod and then put a seat exactly like this on.  this gets me thinking....

The front is lowered, Ryca style and the bars are from Ryca also.

IP Logged
njrmahoney

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/08/13 at 07:46:22

uigiroux wrote on 09/04/13 at 23:53:11:
I was just about to make a posting asking how I can install a seat EXACTLY like the one you have shown in your pictures.  Do you think you could provide me with some more information as to how I can get the proper mounts so I can put a seat just like yours on mine.  I've always loved the look of the Triumph Bonneville and this is just that!  Beautiful!

In order to install the custom seat in the first photos, I think the rear fender would have to be removed or cutout. the rear of the sea is to high. Maybe the high spot in the fender could be pounded down like the way knee dents are pounded into some cafe gas tanks.
I have an old skateboard that is the same profile as the seat, so I was going to bolt that to the old mounts and Velcro the seat to that. Heavy duty Velcro. I have seen it done before.

IP Logged
njrmahoney

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/08/13 at 08:01:05

Here is another shot with the Bonneville seat

triumh_bonneville_seat.jpg
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/08/13 at 09:42:43

That Bonneville seat looks even better on that bike, that's the way I would go.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
misterbbq

Acworth, GA
Reply #12 - 09/09/13 at 06:17:30

like the bonnie seat.  it's perfect.  and i'm not sure i mind if it sits a bit higher.  i need to be back and up a little to be more comfortable on the bike.  6' 1" 270bs.....so as long as me sliding back a bit doesn't negative impact the rear structure of the bike.....i might need to start hitting up the ebay!

IP Logged
strang

london
Reply #13 - 09/09/13 at 07:12:39

Yeh that bonneville seat looks great!
Is the only thing making it stick up a little bit at the back the mounts for the sissy bar? Or is there some other snag making it rise up?
I think I'm hitting the bay as well  Wink

IP Logged
njrmahoney

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 09/09/13 at 07:14:06

I ordered another Bonneville seat from eBay, one without the dip in front. When i figure which one works better, I will sell the one i dont need.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/23/24 at 06:50:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.