Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Every year my battery dies!? why?! (Read 190 times)
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Re: Every year my battery dies!? why?!
Reply #15 - 05/20/14 at 12:39:44

Yes my kickstand was on concrete. I have never heard the saying before but its worth giving a try to shim wood under the stand this upcoming winter

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 05/20/14 at 12:45:37

Quote:
Car batteries used to be encased in hard rubber, a substance that was porous enough that battery acid could seep through it and create a conductive path through the damp concrete, draining the battery. The cases of today’s batteries, however, are made of sturdier stuff that far better contains their contents than those of yesteryear. As well, time has brought technological improvements to the seals around the posts and the vent systems.

These days, the problem of car battery electrolyte seepage and migration has been all but eliminated. Says battery manufacturer Yuasa, "Nowadays, containers are made from a solid plastic that does not allow any current to flow through it, so the batteries do not discharge, even if they sit in a few inches of water."

Interestingly, some experts (including Car Talk's Click and Clack) believe that storing car batteries on concrete floors might actually be a better idea than keeping them on shelves or other surfaces because the cold of the floor works to slow the self-discharge (leakage) rate.

Barbara "cold comfort" Mikkelson

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/battery.asp#jDjskJj8xtytCTsR.99

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #17 - 05/20/14 at 12:57:11

Yep......doesn't matter what your kick stand is touching.  Mine was on concrete all winter......and it started just fine.

I also had a spare auto battery that a friend gave me sitting on concrete for the last 6 months, and when my Avalanche battery went dead I put the spare one in and the Avalanche fired right up.

Old battery rumor that needs to be allowed to die........

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
eruby
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Upstate South Carolina, USA
Reply #18 - 05/20/14 at 14:02:13

That's what I thought but it came up about 2 weeks ago and then this and I was just thinking  Undecided

verslagen1 wrote on 05/20/14 at 12:45:37:
Quote:
Car batteries used to be encased in hard rubber, a substance that was porous enough that battery acid could seep through it and create a conductive path through the damp concrete, draining the battery. The cases of today’s batteries, however, are made of sturdier stuff that far better contains their contents than those of yesteryear. As well, time has brought technological improvements to the seals around the posts and the vent systems.

These days, the problem of car battery electrolyte seepage and migration has been all but eliminated. Says battery manufacturer Yuasa, "Nowadays, containers are made from a solid plastic that does not allow any current to flow through it, so the batteries do not discharge, even if they sit in a few inches of water."

Interestingly, some experts (including Car Talk's Click and Clack) believe that storing car batteries on concrete floors might actually be a better idea than keeping them on shelves or other surfaces because the cold of the floor works to slow the self-discharge (leakage) rate.

Barbara "cold comfort" Mikkelson

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/battery.asp#jDjskJj8xtytCTsR.99

2000 Savage
Raptor Petcock Upgrade
#7 Stopper Seat Lift
Otherwise Stock
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #19 - 05/21/14 at 10:11:49

Funny thing about the theory that sitting on concrete will suck the charge out of a battery.  Most batteries are stored on metal shelves or mounted in the vehicle on a metal support....that is just about as good of a conductor as anything.......why doesn't that suck the charge out?

IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #20 - 05/21/14 at 11:09:56

I remember last year someone told me that it might be a problem with my stator? I don't really know if this could be causing the problem or what is even does? can anyone tell me if that's a possibility?  Huh

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #21 - 05/21/14 at 12:49:40

If the bike runs and charges and works fine all riding season....but only fails during the off season.....not sure why that would be a stator issue.

You need to do a test.  Disconnect the ground cable, and place a ammeter, ohm meter or small 12v light bulb between the terminal and cable with the ignition switch off.  When you complete the circuit with ammeter or light bulb.....you should still have an open circuit.  Don't turn on the switch while you do this....or you will most likely cook your test meter (you won't hurt the light bulb).

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #22 - 05/21/14 at 15:17:59

Could be a leaky diode in the rectifier.  Any aftermarket stuff added into the wiring.

I whole heartedly agree with remove the cable from the battery and install something to measure current flow between the terminal and cable end.  If any current is flowing, there is a problem somewhere. As has been said before, start disconnecting until you stop the current flow.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
RanDaMan

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Massachusetts
Reply #23 - 05/22/14 at 04:50:19

Dave:

I will have to give that test a try today or over this weekend, just to be sure, Step 1, disconnect ground wire, Step 2, connect meter to ground wire and positive terminal?  Huh

If there is no current what would this indicate? Just that the battery is bad? or would I be able to pick up more info from this test?

Also, I ordered my earthx battery and hope to have it in and riding for good by this weekend.  Cool

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 05/22/14 at 05:11:32

RanDaMan wrote on 05/22/14 at 04:50:19:
Dave:

I will have to give that test a try today or over this weekend, just to be sure, Step 1, disconnect ground wire, Step 2, connect meter to ground wire and positive terminal?  Huh

If there is no current what would this indicate? Just that the battery is bad? or would I be able to pick up more info from this test?

Also, I ordered my earthx battery and hope to have it in and riding for good by this weekend.  Cool

No....not the positive terminal.  You want to disconnect the negative terminal and put the meter (or small bulb) between negative terminal and negative cable.  You are looking to see if anything is completing the circuit and causing current to flow when the ignition switch is off.

Dave

IP Logged
ihasabike

^^ihasapicofit!

Reply #25 - 05/22/14 at 05:44:52

The storage temp on lithium ion batteries is -4º F to 140º F ( -20º C to 60º C).  Living in Massachusetts, I imagine it gets colder than -4º F during the winter, which will kill your battery unless you keep it in a heated garage.  I recommend uninstalling the battery and taking it indoors for the winter.  Any time the lithium batteries are going to go unused for more than two weeks, RC hobby folks recommend putting a "storage charge" on the cells using a balance charger with a storage mode, sticking them in a ziplock bag, and storing them in the fridge.

K/N Filter; Tachometer; Raptor Petcock; Engine Guard; Highway Pegs; Windshield; GT Grips; Shot Filled Dragbars; Saddle Bags and Supports; 12V Outlet
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 05/22/14 at 10:56:10

I keep all my flashlight / electronic device batteries in the fridge. I have a little tester & some of them are rechargeable, & have different chargers & a timer, and a box in the shop where all dead batteries go. One really handy battery user is a set of walkie talkies. Its amazing just how many times a guy needs to tell the wife something, or she needs to remind him of something. Saves a bunch of hiking from shop to home & back.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Regearing for more gears?
Reply #27 - 05/22/14 at 11:40:25

Off topic replies have been moved to this thread.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 11:08:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Every year my battery dies!? why?!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.