Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Internet find.........oily stuff (Read 37 times)
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Internet find.........oily stuff
08/18/24 at 01:16:11

The Motor Oil Geek: got any old oil......don't use it, except maybe for 40 yr old Mobil 1...!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1T4XFPgBeo
also a vid on Zinc additive.

Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Internet find.........oily stuff
Reply #1 - 08/18/24 at 05:28:12

The best part of the video is just digging around in dad’s shop and meeting dad!

Just shake the bottle before use.  Lol.

I was buying motorcycle oil at Advance Auto Parts a few years ago.  They had some motorcycle-specific Valvoline on the shelf on clearance.  It was $0.09/quart.  Of course, at that price, I bought it (remember, I’m cheap).  It went in a pit bike that only took like 750ml of oil. It worked.  Clutch didn’t seem to care or act too picky.  It was better that the black tar I drained out of the motor is probably what the bike was thinking.  

Back in the early 80s when I was in college, I had a part time job as a Lab Technician at Pacer Lubricants.  I got to play with oils, chemicals, and lab equipment with minimal training (scary).  I dropped a 2 gallon glass container of toluene on the floor.  We had to turn on the emergency ventilation system and evacuate the lab for a few hours.  Needless to say, the Owner and my boss weren’t too happy with me.  Not my fault they stored the toluene on a 7’ high shelf and didn’t have a small stool or ladder available!

One of the cool oils we blended was Royal Purple (based just up the road in Porter TX).  Remember Royal Purple - it was “the sh!t” back in the day!  That stuff got a bunch of crazy additives in it that nothing else we blended ever got in the concoction.

Most of my job was taking samples from the freshly blended 55 gallon drums and filling up test tubes and sticking it in a machine for analysis (to be evaluated by my mad scientist petroleum Engineer boss).  Then we’d send the drum back into the shop and tell the guys out there what they needed to tweak to get it perfect (according to the recipe).  

The most fun test was the “flash test”.  Put some oil in basically a small frying pan and then heat it until it caught fire.  Royal Purple always won that test by a mile.  I can’t remember the exact numbers, but I remember thinking as I watched …. Is this stuff ever gunna catch fire!?

The biggest revelation at the time was that no matter what brand of oil we were blending, everything started with the exact same Mobil base oils (conventional dyno juice anyway).  And they all used virtually the same additives just in varying amounts.  A little more/less of this or that and a maybe a shot of a little something special in their secret sauce.  Royal Purple was definitely a concoction all its own at the time.

Royal Purple Lubricant Advisor (I should get paid for promoting this…lol).  I’ve never used Royal Purple Max Cycle in a bike, but Royal Purple Racing Oil seemed to work well in my ‘74 Tran’s Am until it threw a rod doing about 140mph.  Glory Days!  Lol.

https://royalpurple.lubricantadvisor.com/en/recommendation/152856

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/18/24 at 08:21:07

IDK if it's true, sounded good at the time, which was at least ten years ago,,..
Addressing the difference between todays cars and the 200+ thousand miles so many will go versus the cars and their common service life in the sixties and seventies, when watching the odometer get closer and closer to 100,000 miles meant Someone better be saving up for a car, it was said that the Big difference was not in design or quality of metal but the quality of the Oils was the biggest difference. Some, IIRC, was attributed to machining, but the Slikkum was the Hero.

Something I don't understand is why the tolerances are so close in the lifters that they require a low viscosity oil like 0-20 weight..
That is definitely a place where any information would be appreciated.
I know some of you know a bunch about this stuff.

The 0W20 is 0W weight engine oil, meaning that it is thinner than its counterpart in cold temperatures. So, it is low viscosity engine oil in cold temperatures. On the other hand, the 5W20 is 5W weight engine oil, and a bit thicker in viscosity than its counterpart in cold temperatures.

The timing of this thread couldn't be better. Guys! We're Hal Fway through the eighth month already. Like 66.6% of the Year,, so sprinkling in a few oil threads, reviewing stats,getting ready for winter and the seasonally adjusted topics is a good idea.

I'm gonna need to review what the numbers on the container are Tellin me..
Again,, just like the Born on Date code on tires..

Anyway,, I don't understand what was gained by making the lifters so close tolerance
that anything approaching thirty weight can't even get in..

Would surely Sukk to see wear loosen up the bottom end enough to want to run a little heavier oil but ya can't, because the top end won't be happy with it.

I don't think a long term job of lab tech playing with oil would have Scratched my Itch and settled me into a career, but I would surely have enjoyed it for a while.

Toluene,, seven feet up, In glass.
YaKnow, that is the second T in TNT,,Right? Of Course,, we all do, because,, well, just Because..
So I looked up Handling and Storage of Toluene. Surprisingly,, not One site recommended storing that stuff in glass.. Nope,, not One.
Good thing nobody was doing anything using a Bunsen burner.
I wonder if the flames are even visible.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/18/24 at 10:27:37

Yup!  A big glass container 7’ up on a shelf.  No kaboom when it hit the floor except for the glass breaking into a million pieces!  The bunsen burner was turned off at the time.  I at least followed that safety procedure when handling toluene!   But, I probably was rockin’ AC/DC TNT at the time it happened though.

It is crazy what happened with clearances and motor oil weight.  I remember when the thickest Castrol oil you could find was the best thing you could do for the motor.  Mom’s ‘78 Toyota Celica GT certainly liked it!  That was a fun car to drive back in the day!

« Last Edit: 08/18/24 at 13:29:44 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 08/18/24 at 13:08:22

boredom leads me to find neat stuff...
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged