Buell Super Cruiser (Read 102 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Buell Super Cruiser
08/06/24 at 06:21:18

They call it a Super Cruiser.  I guess because “Space Age Cafe Sport Cruiser Hybrid” is too long a name.

It is an 1190cc V-twin so cruiser kinda fits.  This iron horse makes 175 horsepower and 100 ft-lbs of torque. It tips the scales at a “light” 475 pounds.  Now I’m listening!

It may not be some people’s cup of tea, but I think it’s pretty cool.  It’s hard to call it a true cruiser with the “mid” foot controls.  I can’t justify spending big money on a bike so the mid controls somewhat act as a deal breaker for me and I’m less tempted.  My hips don’t like when my heals are trying to touch my rear end.

The power to weight ratio on a bike that’s almost a cruiser is appealing even if I don’t “need” it.

IMG_5241.jpeg
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: Buell Super Cruiser
Reply #1 - 08/06/24 at 07:30:10

Hay Paul

Horse Power is "Over Rated" anyway ... Once ya got enough ... The Rest Don't Matter ...  kinda like some other things in life .  Smiley

In My experience 50 HP will do over 100 mph and gain speed as fast or faster than most cars will ... so all that extra HP is never needed anyway.
It's almost amusing how people chase after those big "HP" numbers .  Grin  

I've had a lot of enjoyment out of machines similar to this ...  https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/suzu/suzuki_ls650_p_savage%2095.htm

Light weight now ... That is a REAL PLUS !   Wink

I hope that helps keep ya out of trouble !  Smiley Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #2 - 08/06/24 at 08:17:55

The peg is Awful close to the pipe. Melted heel rubber will wind up on it.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/06/24 at 09:02:32

Too funny…the link with the Savage.  Grin

I know…I get caught up in the power hype that I really don’t need!  It looks like it’s gunna be a pretty cool bike though.

My 2006 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 should be plenty to keep me happy with about 45hp and 45ft lb of torque down low.  But heck, it has a 530lbs curb weight.  The light weight of the Savage is great, but I can get a little bored with it. I keep changing my mind about owning and riding the Savage.  But I love the forum and when I need help fixing something, the members here are awesome!  I couldn’t say or do that with a space age, high tech bike.

But….a space age cafe sport cruiser under 500lbs and 100hp tickles my butt dyno.  It’s the peg position that will ultimately deter me (and I’m cheap), and I wouldn’t want to figure out doing forward controls.

IP Logged
JOG
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Longview, Texas
Reply #4 - 08/06/24 at 10:37:36

The 450 Kawasaki has Way more Zip than the Savage. The 10,500 RPM redline allows it to Come Alive around five K..

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 08/06/24 at 11:38:07

The Kawasaki Vulcan S 650 will embarrass a lot of bikes/riders.  It can hang pretty good with some crotch rockets and totally embarrass most cruisers up to about 1200cc.

0-60 in 4.2 seconds.  Detuned Ninja 650 (parallel twin) with a bigger flywheel and some other differences.  Power and torque peaks about 1000 rpm lower than the Ninja 650and Z650.

It has the space age cafe cruiser look too.  But with more forward controls.  It’s cool.  It has this adjustable ergonomic fit feature that you can create your own rider triangle (like 18 combinations/permutations).  It’s just under 500lbs.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #6 - 08/06/24 at 12:04:15

Oh my, I’m lovin that Buell.  Been following the development for a while.  Who needs all that power?  ME!  Of course 50 ponies will suffice, but I’ll take the 175 please.  Those mid controls are sweet too.  Take some of the load off my spine.  It’s the same layout as a FXD or FXR.  Those are both HotRod cruisers.  But this thing actually looks like it has a suspension system.  

The Arch is a more appealing HotRod.  Very trick.  But it costs over $100K.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/06/24 at 12:55:01

You NEED the Buell Super Cruiser, Drag Bike Mike!!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 08/06/24 at 15:18:38

Horsepower is all well and good.  
Personally, I am more of a torque junkie...  of sorts.

luchenbach.jpg

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/06/24 at 15:25:46

youzguyz wrote on 08/06/24 at 15:18:38:

HELL YEAH, Youzguyz!!  What a bike, or I mean BEAST!  Wheelie in 5th gear doing 150mph!

Is that a Rocket III not to be confused with a Rocket 3?  Or is it a Rocket 3 not to be confused with a Rocket III?

But wait, there's more!!  It's a Rocket 3 GT!!

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 08/06/24 at 15:48:44

ThumperPaul wrote on 08/06/24 at 15:25:46:
youzguyz wrote on 08/06/24 at 15:18:38:

HELL YEAH, Youzguyz!!  What a bike, or I mean BEAST!  Wheelie in 5th gear doing 150mph!

Is that a Rocket III not to be confused with a Rocket 3?  Or is it a Rocket 3 not to be confused with a Rocket III?

But wait, there's more!!  It's a Rocket 3 GT!!

The differences:
https://www.bikewale.com/compare-bikes/triumph-rocket-3-vs-triumph-rocketiii/

I have a modified 3 GT.  It is a GT with the pegs in the "R" (mid control) position.
I also have a riser extender to bring the bars futher back.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 08/06/24 at 16:50:40

Truly a sensational bike!!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 08/06/24 at 18:30:49

Yep, it’s about TORQUE, baby.  😉

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 08/07/24 at 03:32:17

The highest HP bike I have ever ridden is a 1,200cc bike with 125HP.  It is a bit scary how fast things can happen when you twist the throttle.....especially in the lower gears.  The torque is nice and makes for easy riding - but throttle control is an absolute necessity.

I can't imagine riding a bike with 175HP......I am pretty sure I would get into trouble in a hurry!  That kind of HP is stimulus for you to break some laws - both legislative and physical!

For me - 30HP is the absolute minimum to move you at 70mph, 50HP will get you a bike that can haul you with luggage and your significant other......and 70-100HP will make the ride easier and more fun!  The Savage is perfect for riding on the twisty mountain roads (a performance cam and Wiseco piston make it even more fun)!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9zNUPDmnz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlQQfAz0fbM

« Last Edit: 08/07/24 at 04:45:52 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 08/07/24 at 04:38:29

That didn’t take long!  I shouldn’t laugh, but LOL!  That would be me!  2nd video - whoever put the brick pavers just outside the motorcycle dealership driveway should be in prison!  Or shame on the dealership for opening shop there!

Reminds of the first ride after you put a slide carb on the Savage.  That first throttle pull will wake you up compared to the CV carb.

What’s the saying, “horsepower sells cars; torque wins races”?!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/16/24 at 11:54:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › Buell Super Cruiser

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.