Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Spark Plug - too lean or just right? (Read 25 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Spark Plug - too lean or just right?
06/27/24 at 14:41:24

Need some help.  Too lean or just right?  This is after about 80 miles of test cruising after rejecting the carb for about the 10th time.

I want to say “just right”, but it feels/acts a little lean at initial WOT.

This is fresh out the hole.  Untouched.  It seems to be going tan/brown/gray.  It’s definitely not wet.

IMG_4641-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Spark Plug - too lean or just right?
Reply #1 - 06/27/24 at 14:42:03

Another view

IMG_4642-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/27/24 at 14:43:30

IMG_4643-compressed.jpeg
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - Today at 01:23:17

Your plug looks great.  That being said, you must understand that what you are looking at doesn't really reflect a particular mixture at a particular throttle opening.  It just gives you a warm fuzzy that your engine isn't on the verge of a meltdown.

Typically, plug readings are evaluated for WOT operation.  The drill is as follows:

-Install a brand-new spark plug.

-Fire it up and immediately do a WOT blast in top gear.

-Kill the engine while running WOT

-Coast to a stop.

-Pull the plug and evaluate.

Spark plug readings are old-school brutal.  I don't know how the old-timers put up with it.  All's I can say is "RESPECT".  Today, with unleaded fuel, it would be close to impossible to get any sort of accurate impression.  IMO, your spark plug doesn't show any obvious signs of impending doom.  No melted cement around the insulator, no melted electrodes, no little balls of metal fused to the electrodes or insulator, no blisters in the ceramic, nice color, etc..  But at best, it's a reflection of the average fuel mixture.  The average mixture doesn't kill motors.  It's that specific throttle position (usually WOT) that does em in.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - Today at 05:48:48

Thanks Mike.  You’re right about it being an overall average mixture condition reading.  And overall I’m pleased with it’s condition and overall running of the bike.

I haven’t tried the old school WOT plug reading test.  Too much hassle and there’s not really a good place to perform the test without taking the bike to a track.

I’m at a place tuning the PWK38 that has me a bit stumped.  Everything is pretty darn good, except I can’t tell if it’s a little lean or rich at initial WOT.

I did swap from stock flat panel air filter and air box to a 4” UNI foam pod filter directly connected to the carb.  Kept the #32 pilot jet, kept the e-clip in the middle groove, and I changed the main from 120 to 125 to 128.  It’s close with the 128, but it’s just not “clean” at WOT.  My diagnostic skills are failing me now.  More trial and error with the butt dyno.

Today I will be testing with the 128 main and the e-clip moved up to the 2nd groove (a notch leaner).  Kinda scary any time I move the clip up leaner.  I don’t want to fry it in the midrange where I normally do 90% of my riding.  I’m usually not a drag racer from stop light to stop light.  But when I am, I want the carb set up right to do it.  I may be moving the e-clip back down to the middle groove.  I’d rather err to the side of being a little rich.  Before this latest untested change, I got 53mpg doing mostly 60-65mph cruising with only a few WOT pulls where I didn’t like the action.  Couldn’t tell if it was stumbling, had the hiccups, bogging, or the WTHs).  Pretty good, but I want it better.  One simple solution - stop doing WOT pulls!

I should just install the dyna I have sitting on the shelf and start carb tuning for it.  But I’m kinda enjoying the quieter stock muffler and I like the look.  Plus, I haven’t found an adapter/midpipe I like to get the dyna aligned with the mounting bracket pretty and straight.  Stupid 10° angle!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/30/24 at 20:56:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Spark Plug - too lean or just right?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.