catalytic (Read 42 times)
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
catalytic
06/29/24 at 09:49:06

I was thinking, is a dyna exhaust with  converter just as loud and fast as the model without? I can buy one not too far away.

These are the photos he provides:

It looks like it has a mounting rail.

Is it possible to remove the catalytic converter through the opening? By cutting a little with an extended hacksaw blade? I especially want a little more sound that the oem exhaust. Extra power is a nice bonus but not my goal.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: catalytic
Reply #1 - 06/29/24 at 12:07:37

What converter?  What catalyst?  I haven't messed with the guts.  

It's nicely louder, lower tone, without being obnoxious. And the annoying high pitched "whistle" of the stock muffler is gone (that's the best part of the new exhaust note in my opinion).

It flows better than the stock OEM muffler and you probably want to bump up the main jet 1-2 sizes to take advantage of the better breathing and avoid running too lean.  If you have the stock carb, you probably want to thin the white spacer (or replace the white spacer with 1-2 #4 washers from the hardware store) on the needle to tune and enrich the midrange  What kind of carb and intake set up do you have?

I wouldn't mess with the guts.  Noise will increase without baffles but it really doesn't change the flow or restriction too much.  Hook it up and go.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 06/29/24 at 12:48:54

I removed the catalyst from a Dyna muffler once.

It was a bit difficult.  I used drills, punches, pliers, etc. - the darn thing was tough to get removed.  It worked fine once it was cut out and I didn't notice too much sound difference.  I am not sure if the catalyst makes the muffler much more restrictive......they do blacken the chrome on the muffler where the catalyst is located (could be the Savage exhaust is hotter or has more leftover fuel that gets the catalyst warmer than it gets on a fuel injected Harley).

Lately - I just buy ones that don't have the catalyst in them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #3 - 06/30/24 at 02:04:32

Thanks for your reaction. It makes it easier to decide. I kept looking and found 2 of which I think there is no catalyst in it. Then I have 2 and I can experiment with 1 and drill holes so that I can adjust the volume of the sound.

I was at a traffic light this week and a chopper stopped next to me that produced a great sound. Almost everything that had been done to his bike was illegal. And he looked at my bike and said; nice helmet you have. (My helmet is not an approved model).

I've often been told that my bike is too quiet. Even by my neighbors.
It could be that they're deaf, they're elderly.

But maybe I've become too well-behaved. That in itself gives peace because then you also get around to doing other things than paying fines and cleaning up messes.

But maybe I've took it a bit too far.
I'm not yet at the age where I need Ritalin to get back up, so a different exhaust is a good start.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/30/24 at 05:17:31

Between rock concerts and wearing a helmet that muffles the sound, I need a little volume so I know when to shift!

Some day I’ll be old and need a Ritalin, Dexedrine, and Propranolol RX cocktail to ride, but not today.  Maybe some hearing aids.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/02/24 at 09:35:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › catalytic

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.