Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Removing Engine From Frame (Read 47 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Removing Engine From Frame
06/26/24 at 15:06:20

I’m reading up on removing the engine from the frame.  

Did Clymer conveniently omit removing the front pulley and belt?  They have to come off, right?

Clymer also recommends removing the alternator, starter, clutch assembly, and external shift mechanism IF you are going to be disassembling the engine.  (Skip this step if not disassembling  Do they suggest removing these components to lighten the load when removing the engine??  Removing the external shift mechanism makes sense to keep it out of harms way when you’re trying to manhandle the engine out.

They suggest having a helper remove the engine from the frame.  I know it’s not light, but does anybody know the weight if I can’t find a helper?  Can I just gently dump the engine out the right side into the lawn?   Roll Eyes  Then get a wheelbarrow or dolley and haul it to the workbench?

Clearly I need help and tips!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Removing Engine From Frame
Reply #1 - 06/26/24 at 22:35:24

ThumperPaul wrote on 06/26/24 at 15:06:20:
Did Clymer conveniently omit removing the front pulley and belt?  They have to come off, right?

Unless you want to take the belt off, you can leave them on.

Quote:
Clymer also recommends removing the alternator, starter, clutch assembly, and external shift mechanism IF you are going to be disassembling the engine.  (Skip this step if not disassembling  Do they suggest removing these components to lighten the load when removing the engine??  Removing the external shift mechanism makes sense to keep it out of harms way when you’re trying to manhandle the engine out.

The covers take abuse better than the internals so I leave them on. And jabbing yourself with a crankshaft is no way to have fun.
You do want to remove the shift arm, the starter is a couple of pounds... so your choice.

Quote:
They suggest having a helper remove the engine from the frame.  I know it’s not light, but does anybody know the weight if I can’t find a helper?  Can I just gently dump the engine out the right side into the lawn?   Roll Eyes  Then get a wheelbarrow or dolley and haul it to the workbench?

It's a bit over 100# so don't wreck your back, let your GF lift it for you.    Wink
I have a chain lift, makes the job easy.

Just wondering... if you can't lift it out of the frame, how the heck are you going to get it on the bench?

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 06/27/24 at 05:17:19

Thanks Verslagen.  The tooth fairy is going to move it from the front yard to the work bench!  Shocked Cool

Pulley and belt are coming off.  I don’t need to be tripping over the belt in the process of pulling the motor.  Side covers are staying on.  Starter will probably get pulled just cuz it’s easy.

My wife could probably lift it!  Ok, maybe I need to find a real friend that doesn’t have a bad back (that’s getting harder these days)!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - Yesterday at 12:18:58

I got the motor out of the frame.  Now I need the tooth fairy to come and put it on the workbench.

Anybody want a motor before I break something experimenting?

IMG_4660.JPEG
  IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Reply #4 - Yesterday at 13:31:58

If you were local I'd take that off your hands, but the engines are heavy enough that shipping a complete one is an expensive chore (for both sender and receiver), and it probably isn't worth your time to split it into a lower end and a cylinder/top end for shipping in two separate containers.

Yamaha TT/XT/SR500s, BSA unit single 500s, Rotax 500/600 SOHC are all in the 90-100 pound range.  It makes the modern 450MX thumpers that are around 60-65 pounds look very appealing.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - Yesterday at 14:25:05

Verslagen said 100lbs.  I have to agree.  If it was 60-70lbs I could probably get it up on the bench myself.  It’s awkward.  Not like weights on a bar bell.

I’m gunna open it up and look around.  Maybe I’ll find a Versy CCT in there as my bonus prize!  I also want to test my hand at porting the exhaust.  Nothing too risky or meticulous.  Open it up to 1.5” and blend it in - make the “D-shaped” exit.

Maybe use the lower unit as a boat anchor.

IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Reply #6 - Yesterday at 15:34:23

FYI, a cylinder, piston, head, and cover with cam (basically everything above the base gasket) is about 25 pounds.  I think UPS etc may have a 70 pound max on their regular service, so you might still need to figure out how to take more weight off the lower end to squeeze it and the packaging under the limit if trying to ship an engine.  Otherwise, it is a pallet and LTL freight deal..

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - Yesterday at 16:44:08

I have an account with Shippo and I've looked into it.  It's not too bad through UPS ground.  You have to crate it right for regular ground delivery.

I not likely to sell/ship it as a complete unit though.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - Yesterday at 23:27:59

I think you should use it as a learning aid.  Disassemble the bottom end all the way down to parade rest.  Use the opportunity to accumulate a full set of tools necessary for disassembly and reassembly.  Learn how to use all the special tools.  Understand exactly what is inside, how to get it apart, and how to get it back together properly.  Learn how "NOT" to take it apart (i.e beating on things with a hammer, prying with screw drivers, etc.).  When you use a training aid to learn how to do it right, you have nothing but time.  So, you can do the disassembly and reassembly at your leisure.  No need to rush and break stuff.  I believe that you will find the knowledge invaluable, and it is directly applicable to all sorts of other engines and machinery.

Ultimately, you will gain all this invaluable knowledge and still have all the parts to use as spares or sell on eBay. It's a winner all the way around.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - Today at 06:17:48

Thanks Mike.  I think that’s what I want to do.  It’ll be easier to make that decision when it’s not 100° with 110° heat index in the garage!

The first thing I want to practice is porting the exhaust to the 1.5” D-shape.  If I can do that without mutilating it, I want to build a mildly more aggressive performance head.  I have a Webcam 466 that Dave sold me that’s burning a hole in my pocket.  Freshen up the other parts as needed (like valve springs and rocker arms).

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/30/24 at 21:16:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Removing Engine From Frame

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.