Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear suspension bushing sizes??? (Read 53 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear suspension bushing sizes???
06/07/24 at 15:01:13

Yo savages,

I just ordered a pair of Hagons shocks. Reading around the forum today about new shocks for the rear I've found conflicting information about any differences between the savage/s40 years regarding the strut mount size.

Is there a difference in the bushings needed between the savage/s40 cross over??? I had always assumed they are the same. I have a 2013 s40.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Rear suspension bushing sizes???
Reply #1 - 06/07/24 at 15:43:47

I can't answer your question, but it's interesting that they only list the 1986-1987 SAVAGE!!  

Do they not know the bike continued on into the 90s-00s and became the S40 Blvd for '05-'19?  Have you tried to reach out and discuss with them?  They say the bushings are included so I understand why you ask since they only advertise '86-'87 Savage.

Which shocks have you decided on?  Their descriptions give basic technical construction info, but they don't "sell" how it behaves.  It's cool how they are built to rider specifics.

https://hagon-shocks.co.uk/product-category/suzuki/601-1000-ccm/shocks-601-10...

« Last Edit: 06/08/24 at 16:31:00 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/07/24 at 16:22:03

I don't believe that is true, they know it lives beyond '87, they are just don't have the wherewithal to prove it fits and works on every year.

Such as it is, I don't think any of the suspension geometry has changed ever.  You can put an '86 shock on a '19 and the only thing that will change is the amount of rust on the bike.

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 06/07/24 at 16:28:13

Thanks vers this is my thinking. It's obvious to any of us enthusiasts there have been some changes, handlebars, risers, 4-5 speed, I believe the head cap leak was fixed at the factory in 2002. I can't imagine there is a difference in bushings between the early years and the later re-branding but there are some forum posts about this.

To Hagons credit the new shocks should be here by Monday believe either or not. I guess I'll find out then. I figure I'll contact Hagon if there is an issue with  the provided bushings. My understanding is that the bushings should have an internal steel spacer.

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #4 - 06/09/24 at 11:43:22

the shock mounts are 14mm, so 14mm bushings.
I had to shim my sportster shocks because I didn't check first  Angry
Cheers!  Cool

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/17/24 at 18:13:10

So,

Sad news.

The bushings in the Hagons are too small for the stock bolts. It looks like the steel spacers are actually exactly the same diameter as the bottom mounting bolts.

Goin to contact hagon and see what they say.

Any ideas?

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 06/18/24 at 10:50:07

Hagon is sending me correct bushings. Kind of mad I have to put them in but at least it's a new thing to learn.

They are claiming the 14mm OD for the bushing is "unusual." From what I understand this is common across all years but is it possible that the early 80s savages had a different size? Very curious

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 13:01:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear suspension bushing sizes???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.