Send Topic Print
oil overfill (Read 47 times)
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
oil overfill
06/25/24 at 18:08:35

How much is too much? Did an oil change and I had a hand written note in my Clymer's that the refill for oil+filter was 2.2 qts. So I added 2 qts "and a little more". Seems high now. Clymer's says 2.1.

No oil in the sight glass on the side stand but it's fully covered when I hold it upright. Haven't run it since the oil change; been way too darn hot here.

Should I let a little out?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: oil overfill
Reply #1 - 06/25/24 at 18:34:52

This is too much.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 06/25/24 at 22:16:29

Tocsik wrote on 06/25/24 at 18:08:35:
No oil in the sight glass on the side stand but it's fully covered when I hold it upright. Haven't run it since the oil change; been way too darn hot here.

Should I let a little out?

I think that's too much, but if it's not foaming and you're not getting any in the airbox, then it's ok.

How to drain a little out you ask?
Remove the timing port on the other side, it'll drain to the perfect level (don't remember if that was on the sidestand or level)
but 1st tape V shape under the port so the drip won't oil the bottom of your bike.

WWW   IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #3 - 06/26/24 at 06:27:00

Uh, yeah ohiomoto. That's excessively excessive. Was all that in your motor at some point?!

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #4 - 06/26/24 at 06:27:58

Thanks versy. I'll probably err on the side of caution and take a little out.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 06/26/24 at 11:19:18

In my Ryca and most Ryca’s  the engine leans forward more than stock that’s straight up. So my oil level is to the top of window and when leaned to the right a bit then level appears immediately. On anything with stock air box it will just suck the overage into air box , so yeah level is important and should be checked before starting engine. No stock air box then 2.1 or 2.2 doesn’t make a difference. A fair amount of oil in window half or above should get you home ! Very important after oil change to view window before happy button every time and after it’s been run too. Always better safe than sorry , riding than regretful and oh yeah riding than walking/ pushing !!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 06/26/24 at 12:04:00

BTW you prop your bike up to near vertical by placing a brick under the sidestand.

Makes checking the oil level a lot easier.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/26/24 at 14:50:06

I was going to say, check it when perfectly vertical.  The brick under the side stand gets it really close.  I use scrap wood about 3” thick.  With the Savage being lightweight, I’ve gotten pretty good at just getting on my knees, hugging the bike around the seat with my left arm, and then bend my head over to see the glass.  It’s a bit of a contortion exercise at my age, but doable.

I’d let some oil out the messy way.  Loosen the drain plug almost completely out, have a rag in your hand and some cardboard and a pan on the ground.  Let is leak.  Maybe you take the plug completely out and get oil running down your arm real good.  When you feel good and oily and have a nice mess, start screwing the drain plug back in as fast as you can!  Shocked Grin

Now you’ve probably let too much oil out and you have to add back some oil.  My method works!  Wink

OhioMoto just changed the oil on his diesel truck.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 06/26/24 at 17:36:10

Tocsik wrote on 06/26/24 at 06:27:00:
Uh, yeah ohiomoto. That's excessively excessive. Was all that in your motor at some point?!
-----------

I picked it up used.  It wasn't running.  I figured it was a bad petcock, but the owner mentioned that it was running until he changed the oil and not much came out when he drained it.

So I figured I would start there and that's what came out when I drained the oil.   Shocked

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/27/24 at 05:32:58

ohiomoto wrote on 06/26/24 at 17:36:10:
Tocsik wrote on 06/26/24 at 06:27:00:
-----------

I picked it up used.  It wasn't running.  I figured it was a bad petcock, but the owner mentioned that it was running until he changed the oil and not much came out when he drained it.

So I figured I would start there and that's what came out when I drained the oil.   Shocked

You got my last project bike beat by about 3/4 of a gallon of gas.  3 quarts of mixture came of of mine - I’m guessing about 2 quarts oil and 1 quart gas.  The oil passages are probably nice and clean.  The clutch plates and fiber discs apparently didn’t mind (got kinda lucky with that I think).  Probably not the best way to get a “hot cam” in your bike.

You know something ain’t right when you pull the drain plug and something like 5W-0 comes rushing out!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/29/24 at 07:00:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil overfill

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.