Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oiling down left side of bike.cover only. (Read 51 times)
easymoney
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oiling down left side of bike.cover only.
06/04/24 at 17:38:49

2013 following my first oil change. Parked on side stand with cover on, in the morning heavy oil saturation on left side only. If the peg is inside the cover it gets heavy oil, not so much if outside the cover. No drips to the ground. No smoke or smell.

Oil change included cam chain tensioner replace. For what it is worth at same time I did new exhaust and shifter adjustment.

Original oil fill was to barely touch window when on side stand. Trying to balance it and look, it seemed a little low so I added a bit more and may have overfilled. That was then. Now with sidestand on a brick the oil is perfectly in the middle.

After three or four short 20 mileish rides I figured if it was somehow blowing out it should have settled down and I washed the cover clean to get a clean start.  Still oil.  Other then the peg I don't see it anywhere actually on the bike.

I haven't pulled the airbox since the problem. The petcock is a been working couple month old Yamaha turned off when the bike is parked. Doesn't show leaks there and I don't think it's gas anyhow.

At least I am sure it isn't anti-freeze or A/C drip!

Any help appreciated.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Oiling down left side of bike.cover only.
Reply #1 - 06/04/24 at 23:07:55

the oil is footpeg level? head level?

I would check the footpeg mounting bolts... 50ft/lbs, common leak if the bolts are loose.

WWW   IP Logged
easymoney
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/05/24 at 05:41:07

Ahh.  Why does that remind me of the 14 mm head bolt that I struggled so to loosen when I thought it was the drain bolt! And never went back to tighten.

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #3 - 06/13/24 at 19:17:52

Whoa!  Is that really what the problem was?  Do you have an update?  I've heard of other people turning the wrong bolt.  The drain plug placement is rather ridiculous.  I just changed my oil yesterday, and I find the drain plug is much easier to see and deal with if I come in from the front of the bike.  I also found out that the idiot before me replace it with an aftermarket one with a junky green o-ring (now broken) instead of a washer.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
easymoney
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 06/14/24 at 11:48:21

I don't know it's fixed for sure because I haven't ridden the bike for a week or so, (Common Savage Owner Excuse #1-Medical issues) but sitting still it is no longer...ah, marking its spot.

However, the bolt I erroneously loosened and apparently retightened was just a frame to engine mounting bolt that had no effect on any leaks. The actual oil drain, once I found it, was no problem.

Replacing the cam chain tensioner involved, among other things, loosening the right side foot peg, as did my exhaust system "improvements". This must have been where the problems lay.

The foot peg bolts seem to pass through the engine case. I haven't taken it apart and can't be sure from the service manual. Mildly tight there must be a path for engine oil to trickle down the bolt to the left (Down side when on stand). From there it touches and wicks into my nylon cover and goes every where, Really tight, 50 ft lbs it stops. Or maybe it just ran out of available oil.

More to come if the cardiac gets his act together,

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #5 - 06/14/24 at 20:04:20

I was surprised that the foot peg bolts could leak.  I hadn't really thought about it.  I'll file that little tidbit away.

I've had my share of health problems in the last 4 years.  I hope you get fixed up soon so you can resume your life and ride.

It's a million degrees in the summer where I live with 1000% humidity.  I'm too lazy to get up early, and by the time I get done with weekend yard work I'm too tired and hot to ride.

I won't be replacing the tensioner for a while given my bike has 1230 miles on it  Grin.  At my current rate, I'll be 140 years old by the time it needs one. Cheesy

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/18/24 at 04:57:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oiling down left side of bike.cover only.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.