Aluminum Oxidation (Read 69 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Aluminum Oxidation
06/12/24 at 13:22:46

The head, cylinder, and the entire engine case for that matter (on my parts bike) have pretty significant oxidation.  A fuzzy, non-smooth, off-white “film” (for lack of a better word).

What product or techniques have any of you savages used under similar conditions?  The fins obviously add an extra layer of complexity to getting it all off everywhere.

Lots of products out there, but which ones actually work and are easier to use?

A good pressure washing with soap and water seems like a good start, then maybe a ‘white/cleaning’ vinegar bath (probably not strong enough acid).  Sanding doesn’t seem safe.  Buffing won’t cut it.  And those fins are a pain to access in between.  Scratching my head how I should approach this.

It’s a 2001 Savage (no paint on the head and cylinder).

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Aluminum Oxidation
Reply #1 - 06/12/24 at 15:59:19

Aluminum oxidized in air, you can only clean it with an abrasive, but then you have to protect it with clear coat. Depending on how particular you are about it, it may become a major project.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 06/12/24 at 17:37:31

Och is clear cost really necessary? Maybe just an application of oil would suffice?

I can't imagine any clear coat having much longevity on the head. It gets hit as all hell. My personal inclination would be to do some nice hand sanding over a case of beer and a weekend, throw some Gibbs on it and let it live.

Paul just my two cents, I replaced the tank with an unpainted Sportster tank that I left bare steel. I leave it outside all year in Philadelphia with occasional Scotch Brite and oil. It's totally fine.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 06/12/24 at 18:34:38

there's clear coat on everything

to make polishing/cleaning easier... remove it 1st

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 06/12/24 at 18:50:26

I have found a mix of things on the Savage - I didn't keep track of the years.

Engine center cases are painted silver or black.
Engine side covers have a brushed aluminum finish with a clear coat.
Cylinders are painted either silver or black.
Cylinder heads are painted either silver or black.
Cylinder head covers on early bikes can be raw aluminum with no paint or clear coat.  Later bikes may have a silver paint - black covers are obviously painted.

The Savage corrodes easily if left out in the elements.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 06/12/24 at 20:00:12

Green scrubby on an orbital sander,keep it wet with a spray bottle. Swap scrubbies regularly. Satin finish. Get your clear coat from the body shop supply. Two stage in a rattle can. BUY A PAINTERS CARBON FILTERED MASK. It's about thirty bucks. So is a can of paint.
You inhale any two stage paint fumes you're risking things. Just Don't risk it.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 06/13/24 at 05:00:56

Thanks guys.  

I didn’t realize there was silver paint and clear coat on most of the motor.

Some scrubbing pads and an orbital cleaning/buffing wheel seem in order where it can work.  Tape a scrubbing pad on a spatula to get in between the fins.

Philly - a nicely oiled gas tank is one thing, but oil on the motor doesn’t seem like a good idea.

There are airplane and boat cleaning products out there for aluminum, but not sure how well they work on heavier oxidation.

Here some stuff at O’Reilly that might be better than nothing and price doesn’t break the bank.  This stuff seems more like a last step.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/superior-products/superior-products-1-ga...

I do have a respiratory mask and googles when needed.

« Last Edit: 06/13/24 at 06:34:03 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 06/13/24 at 05:44:34

Dave, I know you have a whole process for refinishing the side covers with a ceramic coating.  I can’t find your post about it.  I’d like to read it again.  I’m not going to go that far, but wanted to read it again if you can send a link please.  Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 06/14/24 at 03:38:33

I didn't post a "How To" - it was a Marketplace listing.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1699110265

The process is a bit time consuming and does require some tools.  First remove and thoroughly clean all parts with degreaser and a pressure washer - use a press to remove the oil level window from the right side engine cover.  Then I use "Aviation Stripper" to remove the paint and/or clear coat.  Then I scrub and pressure wash again.  Then a bake in the oven to get all the oil out of the crevices/pores.  Then another scrub and time in the bead blaster to prepare the finish - you have to mask or plug everything you don't want blasted.  Then remove the masking and give it another scrub with to remove the dust....and a final clean with acetone or lacquer thinner.  Then another masking for things you don't want painted and the Cerakote gets sprayed on in "one" coat - and immediately put in the oven to bake.  (Seems really weird to put wet paint in a hot oven).  I have made mounts to hold the cylinder and head while spraying/baking so I can move them around without touching the sprayed Cerakote.

The final product works great and is supposed to be far more durable than conventional paint or powder coat.  Some of the Cerakote products are good to 1,600 degrees and can be used on the exhaust system.  The Marketplace listing shows silver - the cylinder is obviously black.  The amount of activator you use does change the amount of gloss - however the Cerakote never has a high gloss and some of it is very low gloss.

IMG_1118.JPG

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 06/14/24 at 04:34:56

Exceptional work, Dave!  I’ll look in Marketplace again.  I think I looked under, Dave’s Cool Stuff.

If you have a link handy, that might help.

Just from the cleaning I did yesterday, I know this is a lot of work!  And you’re a regular Betty Crocker!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 06/14/24 at 05:33:41

I provided the link in the previous post.
The second line.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 06/14/24 at 10:34:40

Oops. Duh.  I got so involved reading the rest, I forgot about link in the intro!  Doh!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 11:34:29

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Aluminum Oxidation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.