LED Headlight (Read 32 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
LED Headlight
05/31/24 at 10:12:01

Well...  Detailed inspection is turning up all kinds of good stuff today.

My headlight housing is busted on the right side of the bracket portion of the housing.  Of course, a new one is like $176 for the plastic hunk of junk.  A crappy looking used hunk of junk on fleabay is like $76.  These options don't appeal to me.

Can anyone recommend a good quality 5.75" LED headlight that's easy to install and doesn't require an electrician to install?  I see 100s of options on E.Bay and Amazon, but some real life recommendations would be kindly appreciated.  Trying to stay away from cheap plastic junk.  Good plastic is ok.

« Last Edit: 05/31/24 at 11:33:50 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: LED Headlight
Reply #1 - 05/31/24 at 17:56:58

Don't waste your time on the small headlight - go big or stay home!

I have enough parts to assemble 1 more 7" headlight kit.  I will need to find a bit of time to make the adapter.  (I am currently involved in repairing the rotted out bunk in our RV....I am on the 4th week and it is just about done).

Stewmills, Gary_in_NJ and a few others have bought them and they work well.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1495732822/12#12

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 05/31/24 at 18:38:58

I appreciate the offer, Dave! Get that bunk in the RV fixed.  

Your kit looks awesome but probably a bit pricey.  I don’t ride at night.  I just need something for legal purposes that doesn’t rattle.  I took your advice about checking the headlight ring to see if it was my “engine noise”.  The ring was fine.  But sure enough, the right side of the bracket is busted all the way through.  I may try to reinforce it and epoxy it back together.  But an LED headlight intrigues me.  Had one on my little sg250 cafe and it worked incredible.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 06/01/24 at 03:44:11

ThumperPaul wrote on 05/31/24 at 18:38:58:
I appreciate the offer, Dave!
Your kit looks awesome but probably a bit pricey.

I priced the kit as reasonably as I could......my time and experience is worth something.  The chrome headlight bucket is $39.99 for me to purchase and is made for Harley light wiring.  I have to remove the wiring harness, enlarge the back hole and buy a larger rubber bushing that will allow the Savage wiring to fit through the bushing.  I then have to make the adapter, and it is labor intensive for me as I don't own a CNC machine.  I have to get a big chunk of aluminum, cut it to rough shape on a bandsaw, mount it on a milling machine and make many cuts in several different mounting positions to get the shape right.  Then I have to make 3 holes of the proper size in the proper position and buy the mounting hardware in stainless......and finally I have to clean the part up and put a clear powder coat finish on it.  Then I have to carefully pack it up and drive to the Post Office.  Shipping is around $20-$25 with insurance.  I believe it takes me 4-5 hours of my time to make and ship these - when you deduct the cost of the headlight bucket, the aluminum chunk, the hardware and shipping - I am getting about $14 an hour for my time....and this isn't paying for any of the electricity it takes to run my shop lights, milling machine, oven for powder coating, etc.  That is why I am no longer making these kits in quantity and will make 1 more kit with the parts I have in stock.  

You can put an LED in the stock housing.  The light output is better - but still not as good as a larger headlight housing.

LASFIT makes excellent lights with good light patterns at good prices.  I have tried some of the generic LED lights from China that are cheap and listed all over eBay - unfortunately the light patterns can be horrible.  Some throw the light too much to the side, some make bright and dark spots, some don't have good low beam cut off and throw light up into the oncoming drivers face.

Most aftermarket LED lights reduce radio reception on the FM band.  LED's with the external driver tend to have less of a pulsing pattern when the engine is at idle - but the external driver does take up more room.  I tried an early LED that was an "all inside" the headlight and it would fog up the interior of the reflector with a white film - I would hope that LASFIT made ones don't have this problem.  LASFIT has excellent customer service and if it doesn't work they will take it back - I bought some 25W LED's from them and they did not draw enough power to keep the CANBUS system from triggering and error code on my F800 - I upgraded to a 35W and they worked fine.  The only downside of buying from LASFIT is they are geared toward cars....you have to buy a pair!

https://www.lasfit.com/collections/h4

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/01/24 at 05:22:49

Thanks Dave!  More than I’ve ever known about LED headlights!

I can tell you have to put a lot of time and talent into fabricating everything!  And your time and expertise is worth way more than $14/hour!  

I did see the knockoff HD buckets for sale.  Thought about that and it then comes down to a bracket and fitting everything as you noted.

I’m leaning towards a complete universal kit that mounts on each side to the folks.  Just get something on there that works for now.  Get the old headlight and housing off the bike and figure out what I can do to repair it or find a decent condition used bucket.  I know a guy that does fiberglass and plastic repairs and he did a beautiful job on my buddy’s fairing and fender.  I may end up giving him a call, but the cost would probably start approaching the cost of a new housing.

This morning, the bracket is getting some electrical tape or duck tape wrapped around it so I can take the bike to my tire guy later today.  She’s getting new shoes - the Shinko Tour Master 230s you recommended!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/29/24 at 00:07:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › LED Headlight

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.