Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Leaking fuel line from Amazon (Read 34 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Leaking fuel line from Amazon
05/30/24 at 08:05:15

Had to remove my tank a while back, the original line was brittle so I cut it. Went to autozone, and they did not have any fuel lines in small enough diameter, only larger ones made for cars. Ordered a 1/4" line on amazon, and it started leaking a few month later. Be careful buying from them.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B0BV9NNX3H

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Leaking fuel line from Amazon
Reply #1 - 05/30/24 at 12:19:42

I found this awesome 7mm cloth wrapped braided VW fuel line made in Germany.  It's quality stuff!  Bigger than 1/4", but smaller than 5/16".  The 5/16" fuel line was too loose on my Keihin PWK38 carb and aftermarket fuel petcock valve nipples.  The 1/4" was snug but kinda small (worried about lack of flow).  The 7mm is a compromise, but its high quality and I haven't had any fuel supply issues.  I bought 1 foot and they sent me about 17 inches.  So I have enough for at least 2 fuel linesm, maybe 3.

If it can feed a VW, it can feed a Savage!  That was my logic!

Most people say the stock fuel line is 5/16" and this size is required for the right vacuum pressure on the stock carb with stock vacuum petcock valve in the "run" position.  I'd bet $100 it's really 8mm fuel line technically since its a Japanese (metric) bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172256156512

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 05/30/24 at 18:26:34

Yes, it should be 8mm.  That's 5/16" SAE equivalent.  The nipple on the petcock is 8mm (stock or Raptor).  Gates Rubber makes the stuff.  So does Goodyear.  If you get hose that complies with SAE 30R9 the wall is a bit thicker but it's compatible with modern fuels.

Typical_Fuel_Hose_8mm.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 05/31/24 at 05:44:41

Mike, are you using the 8mm (5/16”) on your PWK?  If so, did you have to snug a worm gear clamp on the nipple really tight to prevent leaks?  The 5/16” is really loose on my PWK nipple (I didn’t like it).  It’s like the PWK nipple is designed for a 6mm or 1/4” fuel line.  I went with 7mm which is a tad loose on the carb nipple and a tad tight on the petcock valve nipple.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 05/31/24 at 16:20:45

Paul, I've been using the same fuel hose for years.  It's the original hose that came on my 2016 Savage.  It's just about right.  Hose and clamps are OEM.

Vent_Tube_LH_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/31/24 at 17:08:48

Huh.  I'll be darn.  Thanks for the reply.  Makes me wonder...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/01/24 at 03:32:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Leaking fuel line from Amazon

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.