Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Where to buy mikuni jets (Read 60 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Where to buy mikuni jets
05/29/24 at 14:05:21

Yo savages,

Where are y'all gettin them mikuni jets these days? Specifically for a VM36. Interested in messing with my tuning based on some community feedback.

Appreciate y'all

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Where to buy mikuni jets
Reply #1 - 05/29/24 at 14:35:51

JetsRUs.com if you want the authentic good stuff.

https://www.jetsrus.com/a_jets_by_carburetor_type/jets_mikuni_VM_series.htm

I used the 200 Main from the kit below on the VM36.  Quality seemed okay/decent.  It worked better than the authentic Mikuni 165 Main jet that Murray's Carbs had in there.  I probably could have gone with the 190 Main (stock air box with side cover removed, and a rather open turnout muffler very similar to yours).

I left the pilot jet in there that Murray installed (27.5).  Lancer says a 20 pilot is plenty and a good starting point.  Woody ran and idled good with the 27.5 and you haven't complained about it (yet).  But what's your gas mileage?  

I never rode Woody long enough to do gas mileage testing with the 27.5 pilot and 200 main jet.

The e-clip on the needle, as installed by Murray, was in the 2nd groove from the top (that's 1 notch leaner than middle groove).  It seemed to run well in the midrange there with the 165 or 200 main jet.  The 2nd groove from the top is also what Lancer prescribes for his build of the VM36.  No afterfire on decel or otherwise adverse issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185385531983

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/29/24 at 16:32:50

Thanks Paul I appreciate this write up. In a week or so I'll tear the carb down again to check gaskets/ jets. I'm running slightly lean and have no faith in the Murray's carb set up.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 05/29/24 at 19:54:36

I normally put the clip on 2nd groove on the VM36 needle, then that was my typo, I always leave the clip on the 3rd (middle) groove when sending out a carb kit; the 20/200 jet combo I normally install for sea level locations; higher altitudes changes things.  

Be sure to ride the bike several miles to get it completely warmed up before adjusting the screw, you won’t get the most efficient setting otherwise.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/30/24 at 04:54:40

Thanks for the clarification/correction, Lancer.  I hope I didn’t misquote you and my apologies if I did.  

Just to add further clarification, I did a side-by-side comparison in an Excel spreadsheet of all the carb components of Your’s vs Murray’s Carbs build of the VM36 (jets, air bleeds, jet needle, needle jet, float valve, etc), and the only differences were 27.5/165 Murray and 20/200 Lancer.

Philly - when you get into your carb, let us know what you find (specifically the clip position).

Murray said he did dyno tuning to select the 165 main.  I’m wondering about that because Woody ran really well with the 200 main.  I never ran Woody with the 165, so I can’t compare.  But that’s the way the prior owner ran the bike and so have you.  Interested to hear how your tuning goes and comparison.

EDIT: I had to make sure I hadn’t completely lost my mind.  Here’s a link to the post about jetting from the Tech Section.  This is where I saw the 2nd groove comment.  In your main post about the VM36 kit, you mention middle groove.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1262724030

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 05/30/24 at 19:28:13

Paul, you are correct, I looked back at that 2010 post and saw the 2nd groove and also a 185 main jet mentioned.  I do remember using that main jet size as a starter point for jetting, anticipating a wider range of sizes needed for the variety of exhaust systems on various bikes. but that turned out to not be as much of a factor as I thought.  A lot of customers said they ended up with a 200 or a few with a 210; mine likes the 200.  
I don’t remember why I would write  the 2 groove comment, I’ve always had good results with the standard position, but then I’ve always lived in areas below 500’ altitude.  My best guess is it’s a typo.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/31/24 at 05:24:09

Lancer, I totally get it.  I’ve read all 7 pages of your carb kit post several times and also the post in the tech section.  It’s clear you’ve done the homework and tried multiple scenarios!  And you’ve updated your kit a few times and started including a UNI filter.  Your use of the UNI filter and inclusion in the kit prompted me to go with a 4” UNI filter on my Keihin PWK38 set up I’m working on now.  I haven’t installed it yet.

Back to the Mikuni VM36….  I’m at sea level and Woody ran well with the 200 main and clip in the 2nd groove from top.  So your typo guidance of 2nd groove was actually pretty good for my setup (stock air box side cover removed, and pretty open turnout style exhaust).  Maybe you liked that scenario on that particular day!  It wasn’t too lean and I probably could have dropped down to a 190 main jet.  I should have experimented with Woody a bit longer, but we didn’t get along well.  The bike was cursed against me with about anything I touched!  Surprised I didn’t pop a tire tube checking the air pressure!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 05/31/24 at 13:29:24

The bottom line in jetting/tuning is determining the correct jets and settings for your carb with the state of your engine and exhaust system for your geographic location.  There are variations between bikes, even with some who may have the same parts and location,  because no two are exactly alike.
As long as you go through the process step by step in determining the best jet/setting for each circuit, the low, medium and high ranges.  For all these the engine needs to be COMPLETELY warmed up…or it doesn’t count.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
07/03/24 at 02:23:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Where to buy mikuni jets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.