Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Lost my clutch lever today (Read 263 times)
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Lost my clutch lever today
Reply #30 - 05/26/24 at 20:29:53

Ok I will sand it. So just 220 wet/dry sandpaper...am I suppose to wet sand it or does it not matter?

Can I use that same sandpaper to clean up any metal burrs on the shaft or would that be too rough and a diamond file like was recommended earlier be better?

Speaking of the shaft, would you recommend I change the shaft out as well if replacing the cam. I have a feeling there will be too much play with the worn out shaft. I guess time will tell once the part arrives.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 05/26/24 at 20:59:14

can't be 100% sure but I've seen those before and they're just casting marks.

dye pen accumulates in any crevice and those casting marks will be a lot of false positives.

to get a true reading, you'll have to polish out all the marks then etch the surface because polishing will fill any cracks and etching will remove the fill.

WWW   IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #32 - 05/26/24 at 21:49:19

What would I etch the surface with?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #33 - 05/27/24 at 05:33:35

Dumb question from the peanut gallery…. Why bother doing anything (sanding, etching, etc.) about the casting imperfections?  Haven’t they been there forever?  Seems like sanding it is purely cosmetic to me.

If oil ain’t coming out the other side, slap it back together.  Then if it develops a leak down the road, put a new case cover on it.  Those superficial marks don’t look like they’d develop into a full blown gusher.  Please don’t listen to me know.  Listen to the gurus.

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 05/27/24 at 07:27:43

I believe why they are concerned about the possible crack is not so much about an oil leak. It's about stress on the metal where the clutch cam rests against and eventually the pressure would blow out the side case and cause another failure.

I will say losing your clutch out of nowhere is a scary feeling and luckily I didn't crash. I was coming to a stop while downshifting when I realized it went out. I just kept downshiting all the way to first without the clutch until it finally stalled because trying to find neutral without a clutch is impossible.The back tire even locked up a bit and slid, but I was able to control it.  This all happened on a very busy road, but luckily I was able to push the bike on to some grass and get out of the way.

Is there anything other tips I should know in case this or another clutch issue ever happens again? What would have happened if my clutch went out on the highway? Same thing...just downshift and slow down as best as possible without the clutch?

IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Reply #35 - 05/27/24 at 08:28:14

The use of the diamond EZ-Lap was because it fell readily to hand, I didn't know if the shaft was going to be too hard to use a file to take off the burr, and the EZ-Lap isn't very aggressive and I didn't want to take off any more metal than necessary.  It likes any good small/smooth file will do the job.

Yes, my concern would be a case failure, and if you ever do spot oil starting to come through the case I'd expect that failure would be arriving shortly.  But if you can avoid using the clutch in that situation you'll avoid stressing the case and might be able to get home safely.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #36 - 05/27/24 at 09:35:21

That’s definitely scary, TransAm!  Since y’all are reasonably convinced it’s not actually cracked and the cam self-destructed without blowing a hole thru the case, I think you’ll be alright.  Apparently the raised stop in the case side is pretty tough to endure an exploding clutch cam!

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 05/27/24 at 10:20:29

Would you guys recommend I buy a new clutch shaft arm? My bike has 25,000 miles, so now I thinking that putting a brand new cam on a used and worm shaft arm will cause significant play and wiggle.

I looked up the shaft arm and I can get it for $86. I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to, but if it provides peace of mind that a new one won't tear up the cam I don't mind paying for it.

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #38 - 05/27/24 at 10:38:33

Also, my motorcycle is a 2008 model year. What about replacing the clutch cable itself while I'm doing all this. What is the interval recommendation for that?

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #39 - 05/27/24 at 10:43:14

I’d do the shaft/release arm while you’re already in there.  Unless the cable is damaged, it’s probably okay.  Cable lube it.

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #40 - 05/27/24 at 11:05:59

What is the best way to lube the clutch cable? It looks like that make some sort of clamp on tool...

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0182-Cable-Luber/dp/B0012TYX9W/ref=sr_1_...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #41 - 05/27/24 at 11:33:30

transam4life wrote on 05/27/24 at 11:05:59:
What is the best way to lube the clutch cable? It looks like that make some sort of clamp on tool...

and a can of spray lube

OR

cut the corner off a small baggie just enough to slip over the end of the cable, seal the baggie to the cable by wrapping a rubber band around it, hold the baggie up a bit and pour some oil into it and then let gravity do its work.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #42 - 05/27/24 at 11:42:31

ThumperPaul wrote on 05/27/24 at 05:33:35:
Dumb question from the peanut gallery…. Why bother doing anything (sanding, etching, etc.) about the casting imperfections?  Haven’t they been there forever?  Seems like sanding it is purely cosmetic to me.

If oil ain’t coming out the other side, slap it back together.  Then if it develops a leak down the road, put a new case cover on it.  Those superficial marks don’t look like they’d develop into a full blown gusher.  Please don’t listen to me know.  Listen to the gurus.

I don't recall anyone saying they've developed a leak in a clutch or stator cover.

Oil filter cover because someone installed the oil filter in backwards.
Case cause the vibration damper wanted to see new sights.

WWW   IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Reply #43 - 05/27/24 at 12:59:28

It appears to me that the cam and shaft are kind of "pre-broken" from Suzuki due to the excess slop.  The wear you see on those corners seems to be the way they all end up sooner or later.  I think that right now instead of a new shaft you should buy some feeler gauge stock in different thicknesses and try to shim between the cam and shaft as DBM does.  It would be less expensive, and even if you get a new shaft and stock cam they should also be shimmed from the start.  Of course, you still have a potential sintered cam failure in your future.

Inspect your clutch cable where the cable goes into the soldered fittings at the ends.  The typical failure mode is for an end to get seized in the lever so it doesn't swivel freely, causing the cable to flex back and forth where it comes out of the fitting.  Eventually you get a fatigue failure there.  The lever at the case has a swivel fitting built in and should be fine but if the pivot pin is gunked up and binding you could have problems there.  But the hand lever is the usual spot as no one ever looks at the cable end hiding on the underside of the lever.  If you don't see any kinks or frayed wires, then give the cable a good lube (and relube it now and then).  If it seems to move smoothly inside the housing then I'd say it is probably fine to put back into use.  If you aren't doing a lot of stop and go traffic, then 99% of the time the cable is just sitting there without any tension/flex happening to it and it has no reason to wear.

WWW   IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 05/27/24 at 18:40:50

I installed the modified cam chain tensioner. How does it look…was the 2nd hole appropriate?

https://ibb.co/BZHYL5s

I mangled the c-clip trying to get it off with a screwdriver. I finally caved and went to buy the proper pliers and it was cake. Maybe I’ll replace the c-clip just to be sure.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 09:51:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lost my clutch lever today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.