Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shift arm position (Read 23 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Shift arm position
06/01/24 at 10:59:34

Messing with my shifter today -- I have no reference marks for the orientation of the arm on the shaft. What position (like, in terms of arms on a clock) should I keep the notch?  The way I have it on right now is just God awful, of course I'm out without a wrench.... Foolish.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Shift arm position
Reply #1 - 06/01/24 at 13:06:47

Is this what you're talking about?  This position works for me.  I like my gear shifter a little high so I can easily get my boot under it for upshifting.

I put a mark (sharpie dot) on the shaft where I like to line it up.

(Pay no attention to that temporary bolt I have in the pulley cover.)

Gear_Shift_Angle.jpeg
  IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Reply #2 - 06/01/24 at 13:23:23

Look at the relative positions of shafts and levers.  The maximum leverage happens when things are at right angles.  Also, with something like a shift lever, it will have equal motion in both directions so you'll want to position the lever in the "equilibrium" or mid-position so that you get equal motion in both directions when it is actuated.  Think about how bad it might be if you had the lever clocked 2-4 notches to one side.  That might make it almost impossible to move it farther in that direction.

So with the shifter that moves in both directions I'd try to have the connecting rod attach at a right angle to the shifter when it is in the "at rest" position.

However, for a drum brake lever, you want the cable/rod and lever to make a right angle to each other at the point where you are trying to apply maximum force (ie. the shoes are hard against the drum).  That gives you the most leverage on the brake shoes.

WWW   IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Reply #3 - 06/01/24 at 13:27:41

Paul, you need a longer shaft so the lever can rotate anticlockwise until you have a right angle between the two.  There ought to be two adjustments, with connecting shaft length used to let you get the leverages/motions in the system correct, and then once that is done a separate adjustment that affects ONLY the position of the foot lever (and that should be changing without messing up the nice right angle you have set between the actuating lever on the foot lever and the connecting shaft).  If you draw a line down the center of the shaft to the pivot bolt on the lever, and another line from the center of the pivot bolt to the center of the shift shaft, the two lines should be at 90* to each other.

Unfortunately, having all those adjustments costs money out of the OEM's pocket so they'll try to give a little bit of adjustment that doesn't throw everything too far out of whack.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 06/02/24 at 11:28:55

Good points, Micheal.  Mine goes up and down good and the rod doesn't hit anything.  It works.  Good enough.  LOL.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 16:43:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shift arm position

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.