Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Lost my clutch lever today (Read 264 times)
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lost my clutch lever today
05/25/24 at 12:30:12

I was riding on a busy street and was coming to a stop so I started to downshift. I noticed when I hit first gear I stalled and the back wheel locked up a bit. I thought it was odd, until I noticed the my clutch lever was completely slack.

At first I thought the clutch cable snapped, but I checked and its def connected on both sides. I can manually move the gear lever on the side of the engine case, but it seems like its connected to nothing inside.

The engine sounded a bit rough so I turned the bike off right away. From what I'm reading it might have been the clutch cam that broke loose inside. Hopefully it didn't damage any of the engine.

Any other ideas of what it would be? Is the clutch cam easy to replace?

IP Logged
Michael Moore

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

In the fog of San Francisco
Re: Lost my clutch lever today
Reply #1 - 05/25/24 at 13:40:19

I pulled a clutch cam from a spare cover yesterday, and it is easy to do, just remove a cotter pin.

BUT, the cam wears on the shaft and I had to lightly smooth a bit of erupted metal on the shaft with a diamond file before it could be removed from the cover

http://eze-lap.com/woodworking_shop_machine_use/special-use-files/

So check the shaft carefully and don't force it out and bugger up the bore in the cover.

WWW   IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 05/25/24 at 15:19:31

https://ibb.co/SPcK7xX
https://ibb.co/brshRRZ
https://ibb.co/rFFtc9c

I just opened up the side cover and sure enough the clutch cam exploded in two pieces, luckily no other damage that I can tell. What would case that on a stock bike with 25k miles?

How does the shaft look?

https://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/clutch_cam.JPG

As far installation on the diagram above...Do I just buy a new pin #28 and slide the shaft out and then install the new cam #23?

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 05/25/24 at 15:21:57

https://ibb.co/7vNWNNf

That is the cam chain tensioner. My digital caliper was broken, but it looked like 22mm. Should I replace that with a modified one? I bought one years ago and never got around to installing it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/25/24 at 15:27:08

transam4life wrote on 05/25/24 at 15:21:57:

That is the cam chain tensioner. My digital caliper was broken, but it looked like 22mm. Should I replace that with a modified one? I bought one years ago and never got around to installing it.

can't see your pic but if it's anywhere near 22, then it's time to replace.

WWW   IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 05/25/24 at 15:29:34

verslagen1 wrote on 05/25/24 at 15:27:08:
transam4life wrote on 05/25/24 at 15:21:57:

can't see your pic but if it's anywhere near 22, then it's time to replace.

I fixed the photo

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 05/25/24 at 15:34:51

I did have 3 questions on the cam chain tensioner...

1. How do I remove the small snap ring holding the top side of the factory cam chain tensioner if I don't have special pliers without damaging it?

2. The new cam chain tensioner has 2 holes, do I use the inner or outer one?

3. The new cam chain tensioner has a plastic yellow piece holding it together. Do I just pull that out once its all bolted in? Do I just pull it out with needle nose pliers?

IP Logged
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 05/25/24 at 19:29:38

Replace that ten cent ORing in the side cover that the shaft goes through.
Ask me how I know. A stupid little drip that is such a hassle to fix..Verrry irritating.
Owell, I carried a couple of the two stroke oil tiny little oil jugs. If it's oil change time and churning through the oil, it's enough to get a guy to somewhere to get enough to get home.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/25/24 at 20:12:24

transam4life wrote on 05/25/24 at 15:34:51:
1. How do I remove the small snap ring holding the top side of the factory cam chain tensioner if I don't have special pliers without damaging it?

I have used a small screwdriver, but you have to be careful.

Quote:

Use the one that fits best, don't force it into the 2nd hole just cause you're lazy, but if it's near 22mm it probably go into the 2nd hole.

Quote:
3. The new cam chain tensioner has a plastic yellow piece holding it together. Do I just pull that out once its all bolted in? Do I just pull it out with needle nose pliers?

yes, it's not tight, fingers will do.

WWW   IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 05/25/24 at 22:42:45

Graybeard wrote on 05/25/24 at 19:29:38:
Replace that ten cent ORing in the side cover that the shaft goes through.
Ask me how I know. A stupid little drip that is such a hassle to fix..Verrry irritating.
Owell, I carried a couple of the two stroke oil tiny little oil jugs. If it's oil change time and churning through the oil, it's enough to get a guy to somewhere to get enough to get home.

Thanks for the heads up. While at the dealership today ordering the new clutch cam I got a new o-ring and spring for the cam.

How easy is it to install the new clutch cam? It seems pretty straight forward...remove cotter pin, slide shaft out, install new o-ring and install cam on to spring. Do I have it right?

IP Logged
transam4life

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 05/25/24 at 22:44:52

verslagen1 wrote on 05/25/24 at 20:12:24:
transam4life wrote on 05/25/24 at 15:34:51:

I have used a small screwdriver, but you have to be careful.

Quote:

Use the one that fits best, don't force it into the 2nd hole just cause you're lazy, but if it's near 22mm it probably go into the 2nd hole.

Quote:

yes, it's not tight, fingers will do.

Awesome, thanks!

When you say don't force it into the 2nd hole, do you mean in the inner one by the tensioner or the outer one futher away?

Also, any idea what the torque spec if the cam chain tensioner bolt?

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #11 - 05/25/24 at 22:51:45

Transam, do a good visual inspection for cracks in your clutch cover.  I can see from your picture indications that look an awful lot like cracks.  The remnants of the cam may have gotten wedged between the rotating clutch and the cover.  This markup shows what I am concerned about.

Possible_Cracks.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #12 - 05/25/24 at 23:03:53

"As far installation on the diagram above...Do I just buy a new pin #28 and slide the shaft out and then install the new cam #23?"

That's pretty much all there is to changing the cam, but pay attention to Micheal Moore's comment about deburring the shaft before you try to pull it out of the clutch cover.  Burrs develop on the shaft as it gets worn by the cam.  The burrs tear up the bore in the cover when you remove the shaft.  If you go to pull out the shaft, and if it's tight or feels like it's binding, STOP.  Push it back in and clean up the burrs.

This YouTube vid will give you more than enough detail on replacing the cam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccZbhM9J5PA

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 05/26/24 at 02:51:18

Why did the clutch cam break?  Because they are not all that strong and it is not uncommon for them to break.

Unfortunately you ordered a new one from Suzuki.  Our forum member Sneeze had some much stronger ones made by a machine shop that don't break.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1694897686

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Graybeard
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 05/26/24 at 04:51:05

They are sintered metal. Powder, compressed. And the geniuses failed to radius the inside ninety that is stressed in every lever pull. Clutch less shifting is so easy on these things. Everything except for first to second,, too big of a jump for me to master it quickly enough to not be concerned about hurting it.
It's easier if you're running pretty hard,something above easy cruise mode. To get it down, I put my palm on the gas,toe under the shifter, and just as the torque starts to fade, shove the hand forward and jack the toe,the hand should be back ,gas on, just a quick OffOn, with a shift in the middle. Play around in the upper gears,fourth and fifth, you can do those without much effort. I don't Have to be hustling to shift it, but it's easier. It's how I started.
If you don't get back on the gas, no harm, it just slows down, so if ya just want to slap the throttle shut and shift up as soon as the transmission is unloaded, in the place between acceleration and deceleration, just to prove to yourself that you can change gears and not need floor dry and a broom,, that sounds okay, too.

The previous comment is for information and entertainment only. Don't try this at home. Or if you Want to Get home..

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 16:31:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Lost my clutch lever today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.