Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it end? (Read 536 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it en
Reply #45 - 05/04/24 at 07:41:28

Could it be that the stack up height of 18 WWS and 19 WW vs 20 friction disc are causing a problem?
It seems to me that these are meant to provide a slipper clutch feel but if the friction disc never fully engages than 1/6 of the clutches engagement is never fully there.

WWW   IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #46 - 05/04/24 at 09:06:11

Verslagen, what are WWS?  Wave Washer(s)?  I’m trying to learn here myself.  Thanks.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #47 - 05/04/24 at 13:23:56

When you discovered the first worn out pressure disk, was the hub also worn out?  You said you replaced the pressure disk, did you also replace the hub.  I have this old picture of your worn-out pressure disk.  That is really bad.  Is the current pressure disk also worn this bad?  

The hub was not worn significantly to my eye (without taking any measurements) the last time NOR this time. It feels flush and has no indication of wear anything like the pressure disk.

Regarding the walkthrough I appreciate this and would be able to do so, I would commit myself to following direction and can upload any photos that do not fit here either on an external site or via Google drive.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #48 - 05/04/24 at 16:33:44

Paul asked: " in your expert opinion what part(s) are failing and causing the issue?  Or do you think it’s an assembly issue even though Philly is pretty confident he’s assembled everything correctly?"

I'm not an expert and I have no idea what's goin on with Philly's clutch.  It's very hard to evaluate without any pics, or being able to lay my hands on the parts, or ride the bike.

Versy asked: "DBM, do you know what the interface between the #7 pushrod and #10 bearing looks like?"

If you are referring to #8 (Push Piece), it looks like this.

Push_Piece_001.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #49 - 05/04/24 at 16:50:59

Versy, I am not confused by your approach with the pushrod.  Are you saying that you always hand work the pushrod to achieve 12.5mm protrusion from the push piece?

IMO, that will work fine as long as all the components subject to wear are in pristine condition.  But once stuff starts to wear the pushrod has to be shortened to prevent the release mechanism from holding the pressure disk off the plates.

I personally never find any wear on the pushrod.  The thing is very hard, and so is the cam.  The release bearing should prevent the pushrod from rotating with the release plate, so the relative motion between the pushrod and the cam would be minimal.  I did find a little galling on the socket in the cam once, but it was superficial.

Regarding the wave washer, the wave washer assembly (18 & 19) in the relaxed state is about .149", while the fiber disk in way of the wave washer is .139", so you have to compress the wave washer before the special fiber disk starts to lock up.

Wave_Washer_Assy__149.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #50 - 05/04/24 at 16:53:20

The special outer fiber plate is .139".  All the other fiber plates are about .115".

Special_Fiber__139_001.JPG

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #51 - 05/04/24 at 16:58:14

It takes about 125 pounds of force to compress the wave washer to a point where the special outer plate (20) starts to grab.  That's a little over one-half the available spring pressure (4 springs at 56 lbs = 224 lbs).

Disk_Grabs_at_125_lbs.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #52 - 05/04/24 at 17:14:10

IMO, that wave washer maintains light contact between all the disks when the clutch is disengaged.  I have no idea how the thing works, but I do know the clutch action sucks without the wave washer.  I think it promotes uniform engagement, but that's just a guess.  Only da Shadow knows.

Philly, when you refer to "any photos that do not fit here " do you mean the file size is too large?  If you use a Windows computer, you can open the photos with "Snipping Tool" and crop the picture.  That works great.  It drastically reduces the file size and also allows you to mark up the photo.  In addition, when you crop the picture you can zero in on the detail you are interested in.  Just right click on the file and select open with "Snipping Tool".  It's better if you put the photos directly into your posts.  

If you wanna do the step-by-step, tell me exactly what condition your motorcycle is currently in (fully assembled, clutch cover off, fully disassembled, etc.).  If it's disassembled, then start taking photos of all the parts.  We can start from there.  It will be a back & forth process, so be patient.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #53 - 05/04/24 at 17:58:37

DragBikeMike wrote on 05/04/24 at 16:50:59:
Versy, I am not confused by your approach with the pushrod.  Are you saying that you always hand work the pushrod to achieve 12.5mm protrusion from the push piece?

No, just a number I shoot for. anything over 12 should do, but must be less than 13

WWW   IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 05/05/24 at 09:21:37

Mike, I'll report back. The current condition of the bike is that it is assembled, with the worn plate and a Amazon clutch kit a threw in from caltric. The pressure plate I bought a replacement for (was only 40 bucks). I'm anticipating needing yet another clutch pack and am waiting for another paycheck for that. Also we're anticipating rain for essentially this entire week so I won't be able to open it back up since I'm doing all to work on the sidewalk currently.

It's totally unrideable currently. Clutch skips so bad I'm having neighborhood kids riding wheelies around me on BMX bikes. Can't get above 20mph.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #55 - 05/05/24 at 13:51:05

"It's totally unrideable currently. Clutch skips so bad I'm having neighborhood kids riding wheelies around me on BMX bikes. Can't get above 20mph."

Please, never ride a motorcycle if the clutch is slipping, especially if it is slipping that bad.  Even a short ride under those conditions will completely wreck the clutch.  If I give my bike throttle and there is a hint of clutch slippage, I get off the throttle and limp home.  If I am in a situation where I can't stop the slipping by staying off the throttle, I park it and get my truck or have the bike towed.

This is very important.  I want to be sure I understand the situation.  You have the bike assembled with a new set of clutch plates & springs, but the old worn-out pressure disk is in there.  Is that correct, new plates, old worn-out pressure disk?

My word you are in a tough spot.  Doing this work on the sidewalk is a tall order.  I'm glad you filled me in on your situation.  Since you have a weather delay, maybe we can use the time for some preps.

Can you take a picture of your bike as it sits right now, then try and crop the picture to reduce the file size and post the picture?  That will get you set up for the back & forth with the pictures.  If the cropping doesn't work, we can try different approaches.  I've gotta be able to see your parts.  Maybe some of the other members have good methods to reduce the file size so that you can easily post photos.

What sort of tools and equipment do you have?  Do you have a dial caliper or a vernier caliper, something that can measure accurately (say to within +/- .004")?

Can you gather up a few odds & ends in preparation for surgery.

-4 washers, 1/4" ID x 7/8" OD
-Short section of soft rolled copper tubing (1/4" or 3/8" or 1/2")
-A bathroom scale or suitable method to measure spring force

Let's use the rain delay to get ready for the job.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #56 - 05/05/24 at 15:13:26

I can't upload photos directly from my iphone due to too big size.  I have to download them from icloud (where they get shrunk) to my laptop.  Then I can post to the forum.  Kinda a pain.

« Last Edit: 05/06/24 at 18:21:33 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #57 - 05/06/24 at 11:40:00

Philly, if you find it too cumbersome to come up with a spring testing rig, consider ordering a new set of OEM springs (not aftermarket, not Caltric, not EBC, not Barnett, you want Genuine Suzuki).  The OEM springs only cost $4.26 a piece.  Given all the trouble you have had with your clutch, that's a cheap investment.

You may ask why not use Barnett?  Barnett offers good quality springs and they are stiffer and provide more travel......but you must always consider the release cam.  The stock release cams are prone to failure so if you are running a stock release cam you want to run OEM springs installed at the as-designed height.

If you can't test your springs to make sure they apply adequate force, then you should replace them with springs of known quality.  Solution, Genuine Suzuki clutch springs, part # 09440-20016.

This old post provides some background info.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1526991117

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 05/06/24 at 15:40:48

Thanks DBM,

I'll make sure to pick up OEM springs. The other items I can make sure to pick up im assuming the washers are for the pack removal?

Regarding caliper/micrometer I can grab one of these as well.

Going to upload some photos tomorrow

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #59 - 05/07/24 at 15:15:20

Alright, just posting this from my phone -- bike as it currently sits.

Any pictures for the walkthrough I can just take a resize on windows no problem.

PXL_20240321_1945076392_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 02:43:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Clutches, clutches, clutches. Where does it end?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.