Crankcase Puke (Read 32 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Crankcase Puke
04/30/24 at 08:21:27

What is a “normal” amount of crankcase puke?

In the process of changing the air filter, I found about 1/2” of oil in the bottom of the air box.  Pulled the puke plug and I’d say about 4oz flowed out.  Bike has 6500 miles and I’m guessing the puke plug has never been pulled and puke drained.

Cleaned up the bottom of the air box with some paper towels and brake parts cleaner.  

I’ll be watching it going forward, but what is “normal”?  Would a large amount indicate the oil may have been overfilled sometime in the past?  Other causes of excessive puking?

I know some folks have catch cans installed after deleting the air box.  How much puke do you catch in your puke can?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Crankcase Puke
Reply #1 - 04/30/24 at 10:06:27

The amount can vary, but usually I don't get any unless I've filled it to the max and can only guess I hit a severe pot hole.

Most only install a small air filter if they delete the air box.
But I just added a catch can along with DBM's check valve and found no puke after our texas trip.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/30/24 at 10:56:58

More puke if you do much riding over 75mph

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 04/30/24 at 13:53:23

Hmmm.  I guess I’ll have to watch it and see.

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #4 - 05/01/24 at 01:15:33

I check my catch can at every oil change (3500-mile intervals).  It always has about one tablespoon.

Hey Versy, are you running a Hayden KrankVent or did you fabricate something with an umbrella valve?  I always liked my KrankVent, but when I figured out that I was chewing up main bearings I took the KrankVent off just to be sure it wasn't inhibiting the oil drainage from the exhaust valve spring pocket.  I have just about 20K on the setup now and haven't had any problems with metal chips on the drain plug.  Do you ever see any chips on your drain plug?  I want to reinstall the KrankVent and I would feel a bit more comfy if I hear that you are running the check valve with no evidence of bearing failure.

Catch_Can_1_Tblspn.jpg

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 05/01/24 at 04:42:11

Thanks Mike.  I like your Greek Yogurt drain pan.  Grin

I guess my hunch right now is that my bike was overfilled with oil at some point.  Or maybe it was used as a highway cruiser at 75+mph for extended periods (seems unlikely, but who knows).

Interested to learn more about y’all’s puke cans if I decide to delete the air box down the road.  The Hayden KrankVent thing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/17/24 at 09:59:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Crankcase Puke

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.