Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oring missing at oil filter (Read 62 times)
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Oring missing at oil filter
04/25/24 at 09:44:35

I went to change the oil filter and found the oring missing. Its most likely been this way for a few thousand miles. Anyone have any expererince with something like this. The motor is noisy(which I believe is normal for these beasts) and some metal in the oil but it does run well. Best I can figure it was simply bypassing most of the filtration but should have getting full oil pressure.This bike I'm telling you has been a real PITA so far.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Oring missing at oil filter
Reply #1 - 04/26/24 at 05:44:13

No firsthand personal experience, but I wouldn’t think all of the oil is bypassing the filter.  If you found small bits of metal in the old oil, it sounds like some oil did bypass the filter.  I would dissect and do an autopsy on the filter and see what you find.

I know this bike is new to you and you keep finding issues.  I don’t find that terribly unusual for an older bike purchased cheap.  Whenever I buy a used bike, one of my very first tasks is an oil inspection/change. It gives me a good sense and indication of what I might be in store for.

Many of these bikes over say 10-15 years old have likely had several owners and lived a rough neglected life - most owners unwilling to pay shop/dealership prices for maintenance and/or they themselves lack the ability or willingness to take on the maintenance themselves.  It’s often a first bike for owners and they just ride it until the wheels fall off or it quits and then they sell it.  That’s been the case on the 4 fixer-upper LS650s I’ve owned.

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 04/27/24 at 17:06:12

The bike runs perfect and really does impress me with the mid range torque. Thats where it really shines making it alot of fun to drive. The only issue that kinda scares me at times is the coming to a stop it  goes to neutral 90% of the time and then I have to either clutch it or jab the shifter hard to get back into 1st. In heavy traffic its a huge problem because instead of focusing on traffic I'm focusing on getting 1st gear. I'm using valvoline 10-40 and bought Rotella T6 5-40 to try in a few 100 miles.

The oil was the 1st thing I did before driving it but I didn't change the filter because the owner told me the dealer just serviced it end of 23. When I seen the glitter from the trans in the oil I figured I'd wait a few 100 miles then change the filter. I think the dealer didn't service the bike because no dealer in their right mind would chance putting such a huge tire in the back without at least checking tire clearance. I spoke to my local dealer and told me the stock tire barely fits in there.

I'm replacing the rear shocks with Intruder shocks AND a new Intruder  Speedometer  so I have a odometer. If the speedo works out ok I'll post up a few pictures of how to do it for anyone who's interested. So far its looking very good. Thanks for the replies. Ken

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #3 - 04/28/24 at 05:02:36

Are you using valvoline car oil? If so I'd change to rotella asap!
Putting the bike in neutral might be a rider thing, I've never had that problem before.

When servicing a new to you bike i'd definitely replace the oil filter, who know what the previous owner did, dealership could of tskes the easiest way out and only changed the oil.

Intruder speedo and tach? Most mods have been tried, google it before possibility wasting money

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/28/24 at 18:04:12

Using Valvoline motorcycle oil, the speedo is working out fine so far. Gotta check the calibration and if its close I'm good to go. Nice to have a odometer, without it I feel very uneasy never had a motorcycle without one. I've driven over 100k miles on every thing from a honda 125 to a Harley D Heritage I've never had a bike do anything like this. I can't imagine a novice rider on this bike with the trans acting like this. It bit me quite a few times that I'm jammin on it hard before before I come to a stop and if I see green I immediately bail to the right side off the road. Gotta be careful with that too because here to can right turn on red so if you get some jockey turning right you could get hit badly. I talked to the local dealer about it but they only see 3-4 savages a year and couldn't remember if they ever had this trouble. I found a low miles bike chopped up for a engine(was gonna swap it out) but I waited too long and it sold. I may look some more at the end of the season, maybe find something OR if I can find some local who has the same bike to try if it does the same for me. Its really strange because its sorta back and forth, sometimes very bad and others times ok. Tomorrow gonna be 85 degrees , gonnahead out for a long ride someplace and see if its worse in the heat or not. The clutch feels right, plenty of free play both ways. Also I can kick guts out of it and will not slip no matter how hard I drive it. Second to third WOT power shifting it tries to jerk me off the handlebars its that strong.    

IP Logged
easymoney
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 04/29/24 at 09:38:41

Went to change oil and the o-ring missing there as well. Is there a universal code o-ring or size that I can get at a hardware store?

IP Logged
04Savage04

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 04/29/24 at 17:29:30

I didn't measure it, went to the dealer.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 04/30/24 at 14:15:44

According to this old thread, a #114 from O’Reilly’s will work for the small o-ring behind the filter.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 03:24:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oring missing at oil filter

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.