Send Topic Print
Drilled Rotors or No? (Read 197 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Drilled Rotors or No?
Reply #15 - 03/28/24 at 10:41:04

Familiar with Chinese M/C market. Now you have to research any new m/c you might be interested in.  Find out where it’s assembled with parts from where. Been tempted but like drugs just say  , NO ! I have an interesting stable , American , Japanese , British. The stigma of Japanese bikes is bad enough , not sure I want to hear “What the _ _ _ _ is that” everytime a buddy shows up. The Tracker looks good enough that it fits in. Ol skool does that to ya ! No one would ride with me on those , might get beat up by some real bikers on it too ! A simple no thank you. Think I’m a builder not a buyer , at least till they drop some new BSAs here in the states ! Nor do the guys at the local H/D dealer , listen to them stutter , when I ask them when the Chinese Harleys are due to arrive !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #16 - 03/28/24 at 11:01:00

I can’t find anything on the marketplace trying to find Shawn’s big brake kit. My challenges with finding info on the forum continues.  Not a big deal - more curious than a serious buyer.

To each his own on using Chinese parts.  My experience has been good.  So many US companies use Chinese manufactured stuff and people naively believe they are buying American made.  And then there’s the brainwashed mentality that China made stuff is all junk - it’s pure nationalist racist redneck idiocracy.   It’s laughable.

I think those people are the “real bikers” that want to beat you up that you speak of - caveman morons.  They like their big, loud, underperforming “made in America” POS.  

Whoops, I’m going way off topic here.  Belongs in another forum…

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #17 - 03/28/24 at 11:06:51

You missed it
Front big brake kit
Ryca Shawn

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #18 - 03/28/24 at 11:15:43

Oh I realize China is no joke. They build nice bikes. I just don’t want one. I have been looking at those bikes for years , drop shipped to your door if not close enough to distributor. Not for me , came close to it but was saved by my 250 build. Just not ready to see made in China cast into a m/c engine of mine , no apologies , I’m Ol Skool , it is what it is !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #19 - 03/28/24 at 11:42:52

Lifan builds their own bikes for the past 25-30 years ! They build Hondas for Honda and several other brands as well. I would feel ok with a Lifan , but I can’t bring myself to even drive  an hour away to look at them. It would have to stay outside , period ! Racism , that won’t work , my wife of over 30 yrs is half Chinese ! I won’t say never , it would have to be the perfect bike and we all know that’s just not gonna happen.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #20 - 03/28/24 at 12:05:55

Google found it.  RycaShawn.

https://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1475013866/0

Looks like you, Dave, and Lancer like it and endorse it.  

I can't say I'm impressed from reading about it.  

It's a bigger drilled rotor - but it utilizes the same style/size stock pads (did I read that right?).  How does a bigger rotor do anything without bigger pads - just unused empty mass spinning around (circumfrential surface mass differences aside) .  

A multi-piston caliper has some merit, but seems the package includes some fabricated/rebuilt “used from whatever fits” (no thanks).  The package also doesn’t include a steel braided line which is a key component if you want to call it a turnkey package.  Same master cylinder.  Yeah, you get a new custom bracket to hold the caliper (whoopie).

I'm still stuck on drilled rotor doing nothing - especially by itself and with the availability of better non-gasy organic pads of the 21st century - except maybe it looks cooler if brake rotors really turn you on.

Yep, my next brake upgrade will be a new braided line and quality fluid.  That'll have to do...  I'm on a beer budget with this bike - improvement is "good enough", and waste is waste...  Spend my extra money on my Honda Shadow (that has stock drilled rotor up front, lol).

« Last Edit: 03/28/24 at 14:25:55 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #21 - 03/28/24 at 12:27:53

Ruttly, please understand my comment about racism was in no way directed at you!!  I apologize if I struck a nerve.  It was a bad generalization on my bad about the mentality of many "real bikers" and Anti-China folks.  It’s probably just fear that a country with 2 billion hard working people and nuclear weapons will crush the USA one day.

Kinda like the morons that are boycotting Budweiser and switched to Busch beer (that git 'em)!

Lifan, Zongshen, and CFMOTO are 3 manufacturers that are putting out pretty good products.  I've owned a Zongshen and a CFMOTO and no real complaints - and replacement parts are cheap if/when something does fail.  

I also imported and sold over 70 little 50cc 2-stroke dirt bikes over 2 years.  They were cheap.  They were easy.  They were fun - 2 of our grandsons still ride them going on 2+ years (replacement carbs are like $12 on Amazon and you replace annually - lol. I was getting them for $4).  You'll see these bikes on Amazon for like $400 plus $99 shipping.  I was importing them for about $235 (including shipping) and selling fully assembled locally for $400.  My "value add" was doing the final assembly and selling ready to ride locally.  I sold 26 of them in the 3 weeks leading up to Christmas one year - I couldn't build 'em fast enough!  Good fun little bikes for the money and kids learning to ride (parents sticking their toe in the water before dropping big bucks on a “real” bike and not knowing if their kid will even like riding…and kids gunna tear it up anyways!).

« Last Edit: 03/28/24 at 14:20:39 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #22 - 03/28/24 at 12:38:39

Peace Out!  I'm going for a ride!  It's absolutely gorgeous here today and tomorrow!!  Sunny mid-70s, drier air for Houston, light cool occassional breeze!  Peace Out!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #23 - 03/28/24 at 14:43:07

T/P absolutely none taken , IDC ! Was only explaining my view
Truth by told I have a Zhongshan 250 cc 5 speed engine somewhere in my ever growing collection of engines. It is for sale by the way. Keep it hidden from my caveman buddies , lmmfao

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #24 - 03/28/24 at 17:10:41

ThumperPaul wrote on 03/28/24 at 12:05:55:
Looks like you, Dave, and Lancer like it and endorse it.  

I can't say I'm impressed from reading about it.  

It's a bigger drilled rotor - but it utilizes the same style/size stock pads (did I read that right?).  How does a bigger rotor do anything without bigger pads - just unused empty mass spinning around (circumfrential surface mass differences aside) .  

A multi-piston caliper has some merit, but seems the package includes some fabricated/rebuilt “used from whatever fits” (no thanks).  The package also doesn’t include a steel braided line which is a key component if you want to call it a turnkey package.  Same master cylinder.  Yeah, you get a new custom bracket to hold the caliper (whoopie).

I can understand not wanting to spend $400 on a brake kit for a Savage....especially if you don't ride in a Hooligan manner that requires a lot more brake!  Riding in the mountains of TN/NC could turn the Savage front brake disc blue.......that has not happened since I installed the Shawn Big Brake kit.  There were times I was braking so hard into a corner I could feel the rear of the bike getting twitchy as the weight was all shifting forward to the front wheel (MM and I don't ride like that anymore).

Shawn made a great kit, and he is a stand up guy.  He created something that nobody else was brave/skilled enough to try.

The pads on the Big Brake kit are bigger than the pads on the Savage.  The photo shows a comparison of the two pads....the smaller ones on the right are the Savage pads.  Also the larger diameter rotor provides more leverage for the pads to do their magic - plus the disc has a lot more swept area that provides an increase in the amount of energy to be dissipated by friction.

The big brake kit really is a huge improvement in performance.

IMG_3225_001.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 03/28/24 at 17:14:52

When Shawn first started building the brake kits they had a 2 piece rotor, and I was lucky enough to get this model.  The inner piece is a cut down Savage rotor, the outer piece is from a Suzuki sport bike.  The buttons hold them together and allow the outer disc to float a bit and stay centered.

I tried the one piece rotor and it was always noisy for me when cold and I tried lots of different compound pads and a different caliper and I could not make the squeal go away - I never had that problem with my 2 piece rotor.

IMG_3226.JPG

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #26 - 03/28/24 at 17:15:21

Thanks Dave.  I definitely misunderstood about the pads.  This is a good testament for the kit.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 03/28/24 at 17:26:17

Paul:

If you want a big improvement in brake performance at a reduced cost - you can make an adapter and install a two piston caliper from a Suzuki SV650.  It requires making an adapter from steel and drilling holes and threading them.

The amount of braking power is improved dramatically - however the disc is still a bit small and can get hot if you are using the improved brake power frequently (like riding fast in the mountains) the disc will get really hot.  However - for panic stops it works great!

The photo is the SV650 caliper on a GS550 rotor - however I cut the rotor down to the same diameter as the Savage and the setup is the same....I can install a Savage front wheel and disc without any problem.

IMG_3227.JPG

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #28 - 03/28/24 at 18:19:41

As I recall Shawn has a background in brake engineering. And it does do a good job. But it’s not for everyone. But a single piston caliper can’t compare to the 4 piston caliper. The larger rotor gives that caliper more leverage. Braided line reduces loss of pressure over a 20 yr old rubber hose. Now it’s a choice to stop or not. In the back of your mind , you know we are right , cause we have all tried everything else=throwing $$ away and then buying the best option. Trying to save you a buck with education. It’s a bolt on and bleed it kit. Money well spent IMO !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #29 - 03/28/24 at 19:20:02

Bottom line is Shawn’s system works.  
The price is reasonable and installation is basic, take your time and do it right.  I was more than pleased with the result of mine; much better braking and excellent control with the braking force.  
I consider it a good safety investment.

…… if you want to, you can stand the bike on its nose, but that’s not something I want to do.  

« Last Edit: 03/29/24 at 03:13:34 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 04:41:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drilled Rotors or No?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.