Drilled Rotors or No? (Read 197 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Drilled Rotors or No?
03/26/24 at 13:23:41

It is a fair bet that virtually all drilled rotors will crack.  Eventually the cracks connect and the discs are done.  The process of drilling rotors introduces starting points for fracture.  Most manufacturers will attempt to alleviate this somewhat by chamfering the holes to relieve the stress.  This only works a little.

Porsche took it a step further and cast the discs with the holes in to have the metal formed around the hole rather than creating the stress risers.  It works better but still ends up with the same issue.

The original reason for drilling rotors was to allow gasses (hot air, lol) to escape from organic pads for better braking.  With modern compounds there is no outgassing so no need for the holes.  A slotted rotor is a much better design.  It allows shedding of water, pad waste, etc.. through the slot without causing stress in the rotor and dangerous cracking.

Drilled_Rotor.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Drilled Rotors or No?
Reply #1 - 03/26/24 at 13:26:44

I drilled the stock rotors a few times and they never suffered any cracking.

Most Savage riders never ride in a way that will get the rotors hot enough that they will ever crack or warp.

Likely the holes on a Savage disc are more for looks than actual performance.

IMG_7666.JPG

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 03/26/24 at 13:33:34

I hear you, Dave.  That's a perty rotor you have there!   Grin

I don't think our bikes have enough braking power to crack a rotor.  And motorcycles have naturally ventilated brake rotors so heat disappation is good regardless of the type of rotor.

I'm not sure anybody can honestly say that their drilled rotors have better stopping power than smooth rotors on our bike.

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #3 - 03/26/24 at 13:52:56

It also helps to call your right brake pad Trump and your left brake pad Biden, now that they can see each other through the holes there is much more friction.

Replaced in time, especially the left one.

« Last Edit: 03/26/24 at 15:03:39 by zevenenergie »  

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 03/26/24 at 14:51:20

The rumor I heard is that when pads get hot they outgas......and that gas can create a bit of pressure that pushes the pads away from the rotor.....the amount of braking is therefore reduced somewhat.

Drilling and slotting is supposed to provide a way for that gas to escape.  I suppose it could also provide a bit more cooling as air can move around in the holes.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 03/26/24 at 16:40:26

has anyone heard their drilled rotor squeal?

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 03/26/24 at 16:44:36

verslagen1 wrote on 03/26/24 at 16:40:26:
has anyone heard their drilled rotor squeal?

Mine does not squeal.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 03/26/24 at 17:46:06

The only noisy brake pads I had on a Savage....are the stock ones!

EBC organic pads are much better!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 03/27/24 at 04:09:42

Forgot to mention that my front brake is not stock, I’ve got the upgraded system.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #9 - 03/27/24 at 19:56:04

Old school organic pads have bad gas.  Speaking of bad gas, our French Bulldog is trying to clear the room right now!!

I've said it before, I won't buy EBC brakes again after finding the pads separated from the plates (both pads, not just one).  Never seen that before.

I have Niche semi-metallic pads now.  Nice initial bite and getting a better progressive feel now after bedding-in a while.  We'll see if they eat my smooth rotor in no time.

« Last Edit: 03/28/24 at 09:40:53 by ThumperPaul »  
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 03/28/24 at 08:50:57

A nice quality braided S/S brake hose helps firm up the lever. But if you want brakes get Shawn’s big brake kit , it’s a two finger grabber that will not disappoint. All brake rotors should be drilled for cooling , cooling helps minimize the effects out gassing.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 03/28/24 at 09:30:27

Ruttly wrote on 03/28/24 at 08:50:57:
A nice quality braided S/S brake hose helps firm up the lever. But if you want brakes get Shawn’s big brake kit , it’s a two finger grabber that will not disappoint. All brake rotors should be drilled for cooling , cooling helps minimize the effects out gassing.

I guess you can tell I'm not sold on any benefits of a single drilled rotor on our little bikes.  I don't ride downhill very often at 100 mph needing to stop suddenly.

But I'll bite...  Who is this Shawn dude and where can I find info on his "big brake kit"?

I am considering a steel brained line from HEL for the LS650 for $49 (broken link below - you'll have to reselect Suzuki LS).  With semi-metallic pads, a steel braided line, and some quality fliuid - I think I can "stop" there.  And of course we have those wonderful pieces of wood (probably recycled cardboard) in the rear drum brake for extra drag!

https://us.helperformance.com/motorcycle/braided-lines/brake-lines/suzuki/ls

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #12 - 03/28/24 at 09:50:08

Thats something I never see is a rating on the edge of the lining  , like on automotive brakes. Auto brakes have a coefficient rating on them “AA” to I think “HH” is the highest but not sure. First letter is cold coefficient rating and second letter is hot coefficient rating. So you can see what you’re buying. You might find “EF” rating too letters not always the same. A would be a low rating as far as temperature & coefficient rating , so. Helps you pick a suitable brake pad for type of vehicle,type of driving,load , etc. On a motorcycle it’s a crap shoot what your getting !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #13 - 03/28/24 at 09:55:52

Find Shawn in the Market Place on this sight. Many here have it , just ask around.  I rarely use my rear brake anymore , absolutely love it !   Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #14 - 03/28/24 at 10:00:30

Ruttly wrote on 03/28/24 at 09:50:08:
Thats something I never see is a rating on the edge of the lining  , like on automotive brakes. Auto brakes have a coefficient rating on them “AA” to I think “HH” is the highest but not sure. First letter is cold coefficient rating and second letter is hot coefficient rating. So you can see what you’re buying. You might find “EF” rating too letters not always the same. A would be a low rating as far as temperature & coefficient rating , so. Helps you pick a suitable brake pad for type of vehicle,type of driving,load , etc. On a motorcycle it’s a crap shoot what your getting !

Yep, and the set of $40 EBC pads (made in China) are probably made on the same manufacturing line as the no-name $15 pads.  I’m not bashing China here.  I’ve gotten many good parts made in China.  They actually know bikes pretty well with bikes being a primary mode of transportation over there.  Heck, even all KTM smaller displacement motors are made by CFMOTO in China, and CFMOTO makes the entire KTM bike for the Chinese market.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 23:29:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drilled Rotors or No?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.