Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Thank you to the community (Read 128 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Thank you to the community
03/22/24 at 16:39:24

I just want to thank this community for all of the support and knowledge. I'm quite literally half way finished my build -- back end is next.

This forum thought me how to completely re-wire the bike.

It thought me how to mount a Sportster tank.

It thought me everything I need to know about this motor.

I really just wanted to say thanks. Any questions about my weirdo franken bike I'm more than happy to answer.

Appreciate you all

PXL_20240321_1945076392.jpg
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Re: Thank you to the community
Reply #1 - 03/22/24 at 16:59:25

I see it. I'm digging it.  

It would have been weird if you said " -- FRONT end is next."

« Last Edit: 03/22/24 at 19:09:44 by ohiomoto »  
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 03/22/24 at 17:05:47

The plan over this summer is welding a low clearance fender to the swingarm on the front, mounts on the rear axle for the back connected to a sissy bar. Relocating rear brake lights and turn signals and license plate  to the sissy bar.

Have to teach myself how to use a Mig welder first. Which I am going to succeed in. Before I thought I couldn't, now I think why can't I?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #3 - 03/22/24 at 19:15:19

You can learn a lot on YouTube.  Welding Tips and Tricks is a great resource.  Much of the content goes beyond backyard fabrication but you'll at least understand what a good weld is.

I went back and fixed my last post.   Wink

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 03/23/24 at 08:31:03

I admit I’m not the best at welding. But when I was building my tracker , doing a mock up. There it was my left shock was way out in left field as if it was waiting for a fly ball. With the chain conversion I had lot of room to move it inward. New upper & lower mounts , no longer looking for a pop up.
Someone had told me once , “We set our own limits” , since then I have no limits !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #5 - 03/25/24 at 06:47:47

I've appreciated your questions and comments, SurvivingPhilly.

The rear fender looks like somebody has been doing target practice!   Grin Wink

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #6 - 03/25/24 at 09:52:35

I like the style Surviving Philly.

And I have a question, What kind of brake do you have on there?

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #7 - 03/25/24 at 10:10:34

zevenenergie wrote on 03/25/24 at 09:52:35:
I like the style Surviving Philly.

And I have a question, What kind of brake do you have on there?

A holy one!

https://i.imgur.com/lIYHUH3m.png

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #8 - 03/25/24 at 10:21:42

I want one...

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 03/25/24 at 10:33:22

EBC brake rotor was about $130 us from parts giant at the time.

https://www.partsgiant.com/p342028-ebc-pro-lite-brake-rotor?m=324130&f=114674...

This purchase was because the stock rotor had serious gouges after a bad brake event like two years ago.

I'll be honest I can't say if it's made any improvement on the woefully inadequate brakes we have. I honestly can't remember the feel of the stock rotor.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #10 - 03/25/24 at 10:40:45

My guess is that the holy rotor (ok, drilled rotor to be respectful) stays a bit cooler but doesn't really aid braking distance or feel.  Maybe if you were riding the brakes downhill for miles it would aid in braking.

Dang, they want $174.44 for that rotor now!

I am considering replacing the brake line for one of these for $49.

https://us.helperformance.com/suzuki-ls650-savage-fg-pj-pt-1987-1998-hel-stainle
ss-steel-braided-brake-lines-standard-oem-replacements

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 03/25/24 at 10:49:32

PS - Did you ever tinker with that Murray Mikuni VM36 carb?  Or are you still riding with "Murray's recipe" of 27.5 pilot, 165 main, circlip in the 2nd from the top groove on the needle?

You have a very similar exhaust as mine.  I went up to a 200 main - runs good, solid WOT, but probably a little big. I haven't been able to do any real gas mileage testing yet.  Just started tracking this week.  I never rode the bike with the 165 main jet and just took some guidance here and went up to the 200.  When I get bored, I'll probably put a 190 main in there and experiment.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 03/25/24 at 11:03:05

You know I was actually thinking about you last week when I rebuilt the carb (again) due to it sitting for a couple months while doing these front end mods. Never read the jets, couldn't find a magnifier. Next time I'm in there I'll make it a priority.

I'll say this -- the cable and tube he provided were awful quality, fell apart, there was tons of slack in the throttle and I rode it that way for like 2 years. On the new bars I have a generic Harley tube like this one:

https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/products/cycle-standard-chrome-single-cable-ch...

Got a new cable it's been a huge quality of life improvement. Totally snappy, fine response. I've gotten a lot better with tuning the air mix/ idle screw and I don't have any complaints currently as far as the jetting goes. Also adjusting the valves and straight up removing the decompression solenoid the bike turns over REALLY fast. Like weirdly fast. Even on a morning like today when it was 35 degrees when I left for work this morning.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 03/25/24 at 11:20:56

Yeah, Murray defended his cable twice to me and said "nobody else has ever mentioned a problem".  After sending multiple pictures and discussions, he finally agreed with me.  He ended up making 2 cables for me because the first one he sent was still too long.  After arguing about the throttle tube, elbows, and other items, and more photos, he finally made one to MY specifications that works and fits right.

So, you still have the 165 main jet and you think it's fine???  Shaking my head....  You're either missing out on some top end WOT or I'm wasting gas.  Huh  Shocked  

I'm going off Lancer's guidance of a 200 main (but he's also offered other guidance of 170-200).  So, that's confusing....  I've compared Lancer's VM36 specs to Murray's VM36 specs and they are the same (slide cutaway, air bleed, jet needle, etc).

For now, I'm just happy Woody is running good and I've finally eliminated the oil leak at the stator wire exit (took 3 gasket tries, some strategic RTV placement - 3rd time's the charm I guess)....

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 03/25/24 at 11:48:39

You know, I may try the 200 -- I do feel a slight dead zone at WOT but I've been attributing this to the clutch....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 23:29:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Thank you to the community

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.