Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rear fender mounting ideas (Read 71 times)
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear fender mounting ideas
02/03/24 at 00:00:30

Yo savages,

Working on a build project, considering what I want to do with the rear fender.  I've been able to get a hold of a trailer fender that follows the curve of the wheel pretty good -- want to have it mount to the swing arm in the front, then to the axle in the rear with a mounting arm on each side, and move with the swingarm in one motion.

Trouble is, I don't know how to weld.  

The rear arms might be easy to fabricate with just cutting and drilling, but the front mount to the swing arm, I'm not sure how to accomplish this.

I know blue collar bobbers use essentially a clamp that goes around the apex of the swing arm and bolts to their fender -- I was wondering if I could rivit a mounting tab to the swing arm, but I'm worried about compromising it's integrity with two 5/16th holes for the types of hex head rivets I have.

Maybe a couple of bolts that go all the way through the swing arm and into a mounting tab?

Any suggestions?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Rear fender mounting ideas
Reply #1 - 02/03/24 at 04:11:29

Two small holes in the top of the swing arm will not weaken the swing arm to any degree.

You could use your rivets, or drill and tap the two holes in the metal behind the tube the through bolt is encased in....or I suppose you could drill all the way through and use bolts with nuts on the bottom side.

« Last Edit: 02/03/24 at 06:56:28 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/03/24 at 05:21:15

Welding is a lot simpler, cheaper, and accessible today than ever before. You can pick up a whole used setup for $200, watch a couple of youtube videos and get going.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 02/03/24 at 07:53:09

I’ve drilled and tapped for a bracket to hold my rear fender, but the metal was too thin to hold the threads, they stripped out in no time.
I may drill through and use bolts or weld, have not decided yet.  If welding, I will need some practice again.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/03/24 at 08:50:54

Och

I've been seriously considering this route -- Amazon sells these little inverter buzz box stick welders for about 100 bucks new, and they apparently are totally serviceable for like DIY projects based on the very little research I've done.

One thing about either riveting/drilling/tapping/bolting (or some unholy combination) is that I could always weld to replace material after the fact, so I think this may be the strategy.

For those with any welding experience -- is it true what I've read about the difficulty of welding thin frame tubing like we have on our bikes? I have this recurring nightmare where I get a stick welder, come In real hot and start warping/melting away at the frame before even making a bead...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 02/03/24 at 13:41:31

Surviving Philly wrote on 02/03/24 at 08:50:54:
For those with any welding experience -- is it true what I've read about the difficulty of welding thin frame tubing like we have on our bikes? I have this recurring nightmare where I get a stick welder, come In real hot and start warping/melting away at the frame before even making a bead...

Once you have obtained some experience - welding on the Savage with a Mig welder is routine work....nothing special.  It likely would be difficult with a stick welder.

For a "one time" need of a fender bracket - find a local craftsman or welding shop to do it for you.  It should be cheap and you won't have to learn how to weld or store the crap in your garage for years.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 02/03/24 at 15:11:41

Dave, I absolutely agree with this position -- but part of the fun with the savage as my entry point to motorcycling has been the learning, I can't feel right about giving up doing it myself and learning some minor competency in the associated areas needed as part of the journey.

Would you say looking into Mig vs stick welding makes more sense for a dimwit, bright eyed amateur? I keep seeing stick recommend as an entry point for the Diy World.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 02/03/24 at 16:00:19

I first got a set of torches around 1975 and learned to gas weld.

I got a Mig welder somewhere around 1980 - and never used my torches for welding after that.  The Mig welder does anything that I need to weld in fabricating a motorcycle - or doing farm repairs to equipment.

I believe Tig welders are great for very talented people - so far I am not that talented and my attempts at Tig welding have not been pretty.

If you want to start welding on motorcycle or craft projects, I believe a Mig welder is your best choice.

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/03/24 at 19:56:46

Given the fact that you were welding well before the year I was born (1988) I'll take this advice with the appropriate severity and look into this seriously.

Thanks Dave

IP Logged
Yoshi
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

LongIsland, N.Y.
Reply #9 - 03/27/24 at 19:18:02

Here's how I did one before

20150412_123155_zpshoom20pw.jpg
  IP Logged