Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm burning up starter relays (Read 29 times)
Birchw1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

I'm burning up starter relays
02/21/24 at 06:49:34

I have an electrical gremlin that is staying hidden.  I have been restoring a '96 for some time and am finally in a position to get the engine running.  It's been sitting with fogging oil in the cylinder and fairly regular manual cranking to keep it loose.  

My first attempt to start resulted in smoke at the positive battery terminal and a very hot starter wire.  I pulled the side cover off, checked that the starter clutch was operating correctly, and tested the starter.  All good.  But, it fried the relay.

After installing a new relay, I checked all my connections, made sure I had good grounds, no frayed wires, etc., installed a new battery, and tried it again.  The same thing happened.

I pulled the cover off again thinking something is binding the starter, but it all seems fine.  I tried cranking the starter with the cover off, and of course my new relay is fused and as soon as I connected the battery, I had the starter and engine turning over, although very freely.

I'll try getting one of the relays to unstick but will likely need to buy another one.  Before I install it, I would like to know what else I should be checking.

Other information:  the kickstand switch is bypassed, the clutch switch is not, and the neutral light comes on.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: I'm burning up starter relays
Reply #1 - 02/21/24 at 07:13:51

Birchw1 wrote on 02/21/24 at 06:49:34:
I pulled the cover off again thinking something is binding the starter, but it all seems fine.  I tried cranking the starter with the cover off, and of course my new relay is fused and as soon as I connected the battery, I had the starter and engine turning over, although very freely.

That it spins freely with the cover off, but appears to be binding with the cover on could indicate that you have the washers in the wrong place.  They should be on the starter clutch, and not the idler.   See parts breakout here: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/suzuki/motorcycle/2002/savage-ls650p/starte...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Birchw1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/21/24 at 09:12:30

Wow, I believe you nailed it.  I did indeed have a washer in the wrong place.

Thanks so much!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #3 - 02/21/24 at 11:10:49

Way to go Youzguyz! I made a similar mistake on the clutch side (installed the oiler gear bassackwards).  Glad you found the problem!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #4 - 02/21/24 at 18:04:14

Well..

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print