Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Putting on the cylinder head/engine covers (Read 53 times)
WillieB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Putting on the cylinder head/engine covers
02/18/24 at 11:29:20

Hi everyone,
I'm new here! I purchased my 2006 S40 Boulevard off of a friend about 3 years ago. I noticed it was missing the cylinder head covers on each side. I purchased some off of eBay and purchased all the mounting bolts/pads off of Revzilla.

My question is, can I merely unbolt the gas tank and lift it up a bit (without fuel spilling out) to have enough room to put the covers on or do I need to remove the tank? Just checking before I have an accident. I do think a hose might need to be disconnected as there is an open slot on the right cover that looks meant for that hose to go through. I think my buddy and his cousin left the covers off just to make things more accessible. To me, it just looks kind of funny, especially on the left side, where the spark plugs are exposed.

Thanks,
Willie

PS: My bike is on my YouTube channel, "Willie was a Hippie"

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Putting on the cylinder head/engine covers
Reply #1 - 02/18/24 at 11:44:47

The way the tank is mounted you can't really lift it from the front. Luckily removing the tank is easy (two bolts, pull it forward, up, then back. Disconnect speedo wire and fuel line)

Those head covers are cosmetic and I personally run mine without them for weight reduction, ease of access to the plug. Make sure you have the rubber grommets for them if you're putting them back on.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 02/18/24 at 12:37:08

Surviving Philly wrote on 02/18/24 at 11:44:47:
Luckily removing the tank is easy (two bolts, pull it forward, up, then back. Disconnect speedo wire and fuel line)

Well....maybe.

If you have the stock vacuum operated petcock, it hits the frame and will not allow the tank to be lifted up and removed.......you have to drain the tank and remove the petcock.  (There are a few unusual bikes where tolerances are adequate to get the tank off with the stock petcock on - but most do not).

If you have the manual Raptor petcock - it does not interfere and you can remove the tank with the petcock attached to the tank.

The first time you take the tank off it is a bit intimidating on how to lift up the tank and balance it on the frame while you unhook the wire connector to the indicator lights in the speedometer - but after a few times it gets to be easy and routine.  I lay a towel where the seat was and rest the back of the tank on the towel while I do the wire connector.....I have already unhooked the speedo cable prior to lifting up the tank.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/18/24 at 14:04:19

Huh ... I forgot all about the stock petcock. I do remember when I still had a stock tank/petcock it did come off without needing to drain it but it was awkward. 2013.

IP Logged
WillieB
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 02/18/24 at 23:27:54

Thanks for the replies and info! Now I can see why my friend & his cousin (co-owners of the bike previously) left the cylinder head covers off. If you have to remove the tank to just get to the spark plugs, I see how that could be a pain. Well, I'll figure out what to do. If I don't put them on, then I wasted some $$.

Thanks,
Willie

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #5 - 02/19/24 at 00:59:21

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #6 - 02/21/24 at 11:28:21

It is a love-hate relationship with the glory covers.  And the stock vacuum petcock valve needs to be throw in the ocean!  It’s ridiculous you have to remove the petcock valve in order to remove the tank and get to the motor.  

I’m cheap.  I don’t even buy the Raptor petcock valve.  I get the $8.95 Chinese e.bay specials.  Buy 3 and replace as needed.  You get a fresh fuel screen/filter this way too when they do decide to crap out.  My grandson’s dirt bike still has one that was installed 4 years ago.  Still working and not leaking.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 13:13:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Putting on the cylinder head/engine covers

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.