Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stuck rear brake pedal, completely frozen. (Read 105 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Stuck rear brake pedal, completely frozen.
02/17/24 at 13:11:32

My trusty little Savage is having yet another issue, but this time I really only have myself to blame. I took it out in light snow a few weeks ago, and there was so much salt on the road, it got all over myself and the bike.

Now my rear brake pedal got frozen shut a couple of weeks ago. I pulled the rear drum lever, it moves well, so I figured it must be the cable. It had a small tear in the casing with rust showing through, so I ordered a new cable. It arrived last night, so this afternoon I started working on replacing it, and turns out it wasn't that. The pedal itself is stuck on the bracket. Looks like there it has a bearing and it is pressed onto the rod on the mounting bracket. Salt must've gotten into the bearing, it looks very rusty, and so it seized and now the pedal is stuck.

I tried to hammer it off, unsuccessfully. I will have to bring it to my shop and put the bracket into a table wise and then hammer the pedal off. It also looks like I'll need a press to get the new pedal installed.

Any advice for me before I go on a spending spree?

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Stuck rear brake pedal, completely frozen.
Reply #1 - 02/17/24 at 14:18:17

There is no bearing involved.  The brake pedal just goes over a pin on the foot rest bracket.
Kind of odd that would rust solid, but possible.  Clean it up and use grease on the pin and brake pedal.
A rusted cable is the most common cause for a stuck brake pedal.  Had it happen to me a couple of times.  Lube up the new one before you put it in.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/17/24 at 14:40:04

youzguyz wrote on 02/17/24 at 14:18:17:
There is no bearing involved.  The brake pedal just goes over a pin on the foot rest bracket.
Kind of odd that would rust solid, but possible.  Clean it up and use grease on the pin and brake pedal.
A rusted cable is the most common cause for a stuck brake pedal.  Had it happen to me a couple of times.  Lube up the new one before you put it in.

The brake pedal definitely has some sort of sleeve over that pin, probably too thin to be a bearing, but either way it welded itself shut. I could not press it and I can't hammer it off the pin. I'll do it at the shop - I'll put the bracket into a table wise and hammer the pedal off.

In the meantime, I found a used assembly for $40 shipped on ebay, so I ordered it.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/17/24 at 14:44:27

The new cable came in lube applied at the ends, not sure if I need to lube it anymore? I decided to keep the new cable since i already installed it.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 02/17/24 at 15:38:14

och wrote on 02/17/24 at 14:40:04:
The brake pedal definitely has some sort of sleeve over that pin, probably too thin to be a bearing, but either way it welded itself shut. I could not press it and I can't hammer it off the pin. I'll do it at the shop - I'll put the bracket into a table wise and hammer the pedal off.

In the meantime, I found a used assembly for $40 shipped on ebay, so I ordered it.

Fiche, Clymers, and my experience all say no sleeve, bearing, or anything.   I think what you see as a sleeve is part of the brake pedal.

ebay is defintely your friend for those kind of parts.

And, I would lube that new cable anyway... with an actual cable lube product.   I use Cable Life.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/17/24 at 16:59:07

Found some photos on the internet, looks like there is a copper sleeve in there. I guess once salt got introduced it accelerated the reaction between copper and steel, and the whole thing seized.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pedal should easily slide off the pin once the cotter pin is removed?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 02/17/24 at 17:39:32

och wrote on 02/17/24 at 16:59:07:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pedal should easily slide off the pin once the cotter pin is removed?

yes
put some pen oil on it or drop it in evoporust

WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/17/24 at 18:22:56

Good to know. The pedal has never had any sign of sticking in all the years i had the bike, was always working fine. One ride through heavy salt, washed the bike as much as i could, parked it, and two weeks later its completely seized. I know dissimilar metals do not like to be in contact, add salt to the equation and the reaction gets rapid.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 02/18/24 at 02:54:50

Most of us never give our bikes the kind of maintenance they should have.

All of the "pivot" points should be removed, cleaned and lubed...the frequency depends a bit on how the bike is ridden and stored.  If your bike is stored outside and ridden in bad weather.....it needs it more often than the bikes that are stored inside ridden only on sunny days.

The clutch lever, front brake lever, rear brake pedal and shift pedal should be taken apart and cleaned/lubed to keep them working properly.  The cable for the clutch and rear brake pedal should also be lubed regularly.

You will be amazed how much better these controls work when they are properly lubed.

When I was young and raced motocross/hare scrambles, my controls were taken apart and cleaned/lubed after every race as they were filthy.......on my street bikes I do this in the winter while it is too cold to ride.  I never ride when there is salt on the road - it is very destructive to motorcycles!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Surviving Philly

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/18/24 at 11:49:14

If you decide to buy a used rear brake/footpeg mounting bracket, check to make sure that the mounting bung for the brake pedal height adjustment is not bent. I recently had to replace mine and MANY of the used assembly's I saw on eBay had a bent bung, presumably due to a minor accident. If that bung isn't lined up properly the adjustment of the pedal gets all screwed up.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 02/19/24 at 12:45:37

Well, I got them apart today, seems to be just superficial rust on that pin. The copper sleeve seems fine. I had to hammer away real hard to get them to separate, but I'm sure I can easily clean this up with some scotch brite, introduce a bit of lube, and it will be fine. There seems to be a little groove in the sleeve, probably machined to capture lube.

Since I've already ordered a used assembly on ebay, I'll wait for it to arrive and then decide which one to use.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #11 - 02/20/24 at 09:47:50

File, buff, lube, file, buff, lube.  Verslagen mentioned evaporust.  I've used Oshpho.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/20/24 at 10:27:05

I'm thinking about grinding off the pin/rod the pedal is mounted onto, and welding on a stainless rod of the same diameter and length, should be a lot more resistant to rust.

Looks like the existing bracket and pedal is steel, with chrome plating.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #13 - 02/20/24 at 13:36:22

I'm not a welder, so I'd just put the grinder wheel on the drill and get after that rust (I hate rust).  Use a file for the hard to reach places.  Finish up with some steel wool and grease that monkey real good!

IP Logged
Riley_N
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 02/20/24 at 14:07:17

I would probably just get a few drill wire brush attachments or even a battery terminal cleaner brush to clean it up. Then lube with your favorite grease. Should be good to go for many miles.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 21:25:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stuck rear brake pedal, completely frozen.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.