Head cover torque (Read 32 times)
Savard 05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Head cover torque
03/05/24 at 03:36:53

I just have a question regarding head cover torque I have it torqued to 6 ft pounds is there a sweet spot between 6 and 8.8 ft pounds? Or do you suggest to hit the 8.8 ft pounds? Also the head cover o ring gasket that looks like a tear drop had a little bend / hump in it at the tail is this normal or signs of it wearing out? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Head cover torque
Reply #1 - 03/05/24 at 04:59:45

I would likely just shoot for the middle of the torque value.  The threads in the aluminum can be stripped pretty easily if you over torque them.  Your torque wrench likely has some variance anyhow - no need to shoot for the maximum value.  You also need to use a small torque wrench - you cannot get accurate results with a torque wrench rated for 150 ft/lbs.

The weird shaped O-ring should have been smooth.

HeadOring.jpg

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #2 - 03/05/24 at 05:35:48

Dave is smarter than me, but I went for the high end of the torque range.  I cleaner the bolts with a wire brush and some motor oil before installing.  Clean oiled bolts probably lowered the effective torque by 15-20%, so my final torque was something less than the maximum spec.  Similar to what Dave said, I use a 1/4” short ratchet with my thumb on the drive.  My wrist/hand strength without arm pulling yields about 7-8ft lbs.  I double checked and went around the horn with a digital 3/8” torque wrench rated up to 38ft-lbs.  There are a couple bolts that I couldn’t get the torque wrench on due to space limitations.  Those got left “good enough” after a quick double check with the 1/4” ratchet.

My wonky shaped o-ring was out of its normal wonky shape and I replaced it.  I didn’t want to have to go through a second surgery for a bad o-ring.  

Good luck!  You got this!

IP Logged
Savard 05
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Ohio
Reply #3 - 03/05/24 at 06:35:18

Thanks guys I'm going to replace o ring and torque to 7ft on head cover I know the cam journal is part of head that's why I was worried about torque value.

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #4 - 03/05/24 at 09:15:34

PS - I used a teenie tiny tab of sealant on that o-ring to make sure it didn’t try to move.  Let it set about 20 minutes while getting everything else prepped.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 22:59:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head cover torque

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.