Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Engine work on the beer budget board tracker (Read 48 times)
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Engine work on the beer budget board tracker
03/27/24 at 07:15:00

I've been ignoring issues on my savage engine and now due to a significant oil leak on the head it's time to address them.  In addition to the oil leak there is a crappy epoxy repair on the left side engine cover that will be addressed as well.

The head is removed.  I found the infamous oil plug was in place and appeared not to be the cause of the leak.  Best I can tell is the leak came from a less than stellar job on the head cover sealant application or perhaps a blind threaded hole in the head near the spark plug that is no longer blind, there is a bit of daylight coming through the bottom of the hole.  No idea how it got that but given the menagerie of bolts that fasten the head someone might have tried one that was too long at one time or another.

But the best is yet to come.  On disassembly of the head cover many of the bolts were way over torqued but several seemed to be under torqued.  Two of them are the long ones that go into the cylinder and the third went into the head near the intake port.  (sorry, no pics of that) The ones that went into the head are stripped and the one nearest the intake port actually cracked the head!

So that's the first question.  It looks like the readily available helicoils are about 9mm long.  Does anyone have advice on what length helicoil to use on the 6mm threaded holes in the cylinder?  It's the two blind threaded holes nearest the timing chain tunnel that are the problem.

My plan for the crack in the head is to use a burr to remove the broken section all the way down to the threaded bore and re-fill it with weld, re-drill and re-tap.  I'll strip the head bare before all that grinding and welding.  And probably open the exhaust port area as well while it's all apart.

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Engine work on the beer budget board tracker
Reply #1 - 03/27/24 at 10:31:39

Here's progress on getting rid of the epoxy repairs on the left engine case.  Looks like a poorly placed screwdriver scar?

After welding I placed box sealing tape on the parting line to protect it from being filed.  Once the file was down to the tape I filed the last 0.002 inch without tape and with a lot of care.

There is a little porosity in the weld where the screwdriver scar was but there is none that shows on the outside so I'm gonna call it good.

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #2 - 03/27/24 at 12:46:46

That's a very nice repair.  Smiley
You can prevent this porosity by not applying filler material straight away, but first degassing the aluminum with your flame and only then adding material, otherwise you will always have holes at the transition.

I would use as long helcoils as the situation allows.
But a helicoil is 40% stronger than normal thread, so you need less long thread than original. (in theory)

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #3 - 03/27/24 at 13:04:15

Sandman, what process did you use to do the case repair?  Is it an aluminum brazing rod or did you use TIG or MIG?  

That hole with the open bottom near the sparkplug is typical.  They come from the factory like that.  There is another head cover bolt hole on the left side that you will probably find has an open bottom.

This old post may help you with the long head cover bolts that are stripped.  It's a simple fix and very strong.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1665791582

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/27/24 at 15:45:27

zevenenergie wrote on 03/27/24 at 12:46:46:
That's a very nice repair.  Smiley
You can prevent this porosity by not applying filler material straight away, but first degassing the aluminum with your flame and only then adding material, otherwise you will always have holes at the transition.

I would use as long helcoils as the situation allows.
But a helicoil is 40% stronger than normal thread, so you need less long thread than original. (in theory)

Thanks.  I have learned to warm up the weld area slowly at like 1/3 of the power it takes to create a puddle for awhile.  I should have could have warmed it up longer in hindsight but I was worried about putting too much heat into the assembly.  It didn't heat up excessively so I could have pre-heated longer.

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/27/24 at 15:48:15

DragBikeMike wrote on 03/27/24 at 13:04:15:
Sandman, what process did you use to do the case repair?  Is it an aluminum brazing rod or did you use TIG or MIG?  

That hole with the open bottom near the sparkplug is typical.  They come from the factory like that.  There is another head cover bolt hole on the left side that you will probably find has an open bottom.

This old post may help you with the long head cover bolts that are stripped.  It's a simple fix and very strong.  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1665791582

TIG.

It looks like someone reamed out the sparkplug area in this one.  I think I see a way to weld it up so I think I will as it won't shorten the hole much and should still fit the stock bolt.

Thanks for the link!

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 03/28/24 at 15:25:52

I tackled the big weld today.  I couldn't direct enough heat to the bottom of the hole to really fill it in very well so I widened the weld at the base to compensate.  It got a bit globby but I'd rather have too much than not enough to hold.  Last two pics are a simple guide to bore out and tap in prep for helicoils.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #7 - 03/28/24 at 19:35:35

Impressive work.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 01:32:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Engine work on the beer budget board tracker

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.