Cafe Bikes (Read 243 times)
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Re: Cafe Bikes
Reply #30 - 01/12/24 at 05:55:36

TheSneeze - the Kawasaki green KZ750!  My uncle had one that he let me ride when I was like 17.  It had stupid power compared to my little ride, a Honda Elsinor MR175.  I gave my uncle a good scare as I wheelied off down the driveway!  And I’m pretty sure I had to change my underwear later!

IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #31 - 01/12/24 at 06:11:43

Does anyone have thoughts about the Buell Blast and modifying it into a cafe?  The basic layout looks conducive - riding position, rake, suspension, 500cc thumper.

I don’t know much about build quality and parts availability.  The first thing I’d have to do is get the muffler out from underneath the motor and reroute it.  That muffler down there bothers me on so many levels.

IMG_3488.jpeg
  IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #32 - 01/12/24 at 06:53:57

I think it is the nicest motorcycle to convert into a cafe racer because of the engine.

https://www.bikeexif.com/buell-blast-custom

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #33 - 01/12/24 at 10:03:30

The Buell Blast is an interesting bike.....I have often thought about buying one and playing with it for a year to two.  The thing that has kept me from doing that is that they are reported to be mediocre bikes, and hard to resell, and I was worried that I would end up stuck with the things in my garage and have to put it in my will to a relative I don't like much!

They look pretty light and simple - but is weighs close to 400 pounds with fuel in the tank.......and no counter balancer for engine. The belt drive is always a big plus for me, and the front brake is a great looking design.  I have never ridden one - but from what I have read the performance is not very impressive, the shifting is clunky.  At this point in time you might have difficulty getting parts for them.

I used to see them for sale fairly often on Craigslist and they seemed to be either low mileage bikes with good care - or horribly treated by their previous owners.  I have not seen one for sale for a long time.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #34 - 01/12/24 at 10:20:30

There are hard to find here as wel.

I mainly meant the appearance of the engine, it has very nice lines.
I personally think that cafe racers are uncomfortable, so I would turn it into a street fighter style bike.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #35 - 01/12/24 at 11:15:48

I test rode a Blast about 3 years ago.  It doesn’t have the same low/mid range power of the Savage.  You have to wind it up pretty good to get some grunt.  The rake and shorter wheelbase creates a totally different ride than the Savage.

I like the fact it has cast wheels and a rear disc brake.  It wouldn’t take much to get some Cafe look to it (rear fender and solo seat would go a long way).  It’s already a wanna-be street fighter without balls.

There are several for sale around Houston.  All cheap and need work.  One guy has a 2 for 1 special for $1200.

Share your concern Dave - you’d have to want to keep it or realize you are going to lose money if you fixed one up and sold it..

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #36 - 01/18/24 at 11:27:23

I was almost drawn in too ! Keep reading up and you might change your mind. Then I was liking the Ryca kits , here I am. Still be a fun project just not me.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #37 - 01/18/24 at 14:07:35

If it was a knucklehead , now that would give me pause.   Cool

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ThumperPaul
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, Texas
Reply #38 - 01/18/24 at 14:19:16

Dammit Ruttly!  Lol.  I better stick with playing with the LS650!  At least I have some help here when my shade tree mechanic skills wander off!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #39 - 01/18/24 at 15:40:04

The LS is a good mount , great donor bike as well for cafe , bobbers , even trackers. I have even seen some LS choppers & trikes.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 01:38:59

General CategoryThe Cafe › Cafe Bikes

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.