Send Topic Print
A simple yes or no (Read 57 times)
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
A simple yes or no
01/16/24 at 07:54:49

I have a 71 BSA 250 that I rebuilt the engine , roughly 44 years ago. Engine sat under a workbench in the same spot for all that time. Dry with ports plugged with paper towels. Question is should I tear it down and reseal it or buff her up and run it. I’m curious to check my work but I know it’s right , I’ve always been a confident & skilled at building engines. So there you have it , Reseal it or Run it ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: A simple yes or no
Reply #1 - 01/16/24 at 09:25:21

If everything inside is moving as it should, and it feels right to you, and if it has oil in it and it looks good, I’d go ahead and run it, at least for a little bit.  If all seems well with the initial run, then maybe drain/refill with Rotella.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 01/16/24 at 10:08:56

The question isn't really set up for a yes or no......you provided two options in the last sentence.

Run it - after you lube things up a bit.  I would likely put oil in the crankcase and rotate the engine to get the oil on all the internal surfaces, and spray a small amount of Fogging Oil in the cylinder with the piston at the bottom...so the fogging oil can mist onto the cylinder walls.  Take off a valve inspection port and oil whatever you can reach.  Get it in the bike and ready to go.....leave the spark plug out and kick it over (or push) it around a bit to get the oil pumping before you start it.  Then wake it up from it's long nap!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
zevenenergie
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

The Netherlands   Den Haag
Reply #3 - 01/16/24 at 10:55:30

I think there is a seal or O ring leaking left and right because they have become hard after 44 years. But I wouldn't consider that an obstacle to starting it. If you have closed the inlet and outlet with paper, animals (the small ones with antennae) may have crawled into the cylinder.

There is a chance that they have pooped and peed there if they are not toilet trained.
So it's not a resounding yes, but it is a yes.

Do what you know is right. (you can always use fear as a counselor later)
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 01/16/24 at 11:00:04

I agree with all of Dave’s points, I jumped ahead on this, my apology for the  oversight.

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Ret a: A simple yes or no
Reply #5 - 01/16/24 at 11:04:51

Ruttly

I'd want to fill it with oil , take the spark plug out , and put my drill on a crankshaft socket for a 3 minute spin in the right direction !  
Then ,yes - put some fuel in it and let it spin itself for a while.  Your grinning right now arn'y you ?   Smiley Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see. How far Man's corruption reaches into Organized Religion , we may never know
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #6 - 01/16/24 at 18:57:50

No & Yes

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 01/17/24 at 09:20:35

I was a young builder , I built that engine right after I did my first twin , a Yamaha XS400. That would make it in the range of 7th or 8th engine builds. With Moto , now we have dissent in the ranks. I bought gaskets & seals to do it , but that also tells me I have NO confidence in myself. I will be changing out stator & rotor and at that point I’ll decide what way to go. That’s cool Moto I appreciate it , all my years in the union I never voted yes on a contract , always no , no matter how good the contract got , always , NO ! So I was expecting some negative on it , that’s why I asked !
Guess I should have used the polling option.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #8 - 01/17/24 at 17:32:31

Oh no Ruttly, I agree with everyone else.  Run it!  

Ruttly wrote on 01/16/24 at 07:54:49:
Reseal it or Run it

ohiomoto wrote on 01/16/24 at 18:57:50:
No & Yes

As in "No to Reseal it & Yes to Run it".  Smiley  

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 01/18/24 at 15:05:50

Thank you for clarification. I’m going to replace stator & rotor buff up the primary cover & polish the other side , install ignition. The rest of it I’m experimenting in an easy way to clean off that 40+yr fuzz  on the natural cast aluminum parts. Not wanting to remove true patina but get it really clean , patina will re-emerge on its own.

So I guess I’m gonna run it !

I’m even gonna use that  “New spark plug” in it  , a Champion
That will save me 8 bucks.   Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 02:05:48

General CategoryThe Cafe › A simple yes or no